Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Concussion lawsuits end high school football?
According to Chris Collinsworth on the Dan Patrick Show, the cost of insurance and liability will ultimately end the game. Collinsworth is an attorney as well as a former Bengal wide receiver.
Once blood (money) is in the water, with these bloodsuckers, it will be game over, I doubt families would pay the price of a college or NFL ticket to see Jr on Friday night.
I guess those "he got his bell rung", or "follow my finger", or in any case where a kid wasn't sent for comprehensive testing and a kid has any problems,visible or not.....lawsuits against those involved will occur. I sure wouldn't want to be an unqualified person who cleared a kid to play. Even some team Dr's are not experts in dealing with concussions.

Paul Pabst ‏@PaulPabst 15m
Cris Collinsworth said he expects major concussion lawsuits in college and HS football...added that this will end HS football.
voice of reason Wrote:According to Chris Collinsworth on the Dan Patrick Show, the cost of insurance and liability will ultimately end the game. Collinsworth is an attorney as well as a former Bengal wide receiver.
Once blood (money) is in the water, with these bloodsuckers, it will be game over, I doubt families would pay the price of a college or NFL ticket to see Jr on Friday night.
I guess those "he got his bell rung", or "follow my finger", or in any case where a kid wasn't sent for comprehensive testing and a kid has any problems,visible or not.....lawsuits against those involved will occur. I sure wouldn't want to be an unqualified person who cleared a kid to play. Even some team Dr's are not experts in dealing with concussions.

Paul Pabst ‏@PaulPabst 15m
Cris Collinsworth said he expects major concussion lawsuits in college and HS football...added that this will end HS football.

Sadly..... he is right.

:igiveup: :baby: :boosign:
A liability waiver solves the problem. If a parent signs that they cannot sue or hold anyone liable for something that happens at practice or game then what else can be done. If Judges had backbone and wouldnt let lawsuits still go even though papers have been signed, then we wouldnt have this discussion.
Full deck Wrote:A liability waiver solves the problem. If a parent signs that they cannot sue or hold anyone liable for something that happens at practice or game then what else can be done. If Judges had backbone and wouldnt let lawsuits still go even though papers have been signed, then we wouldnt have this discussion.

There will be some bleeding heart judge in "Small Town, USA that will rule the school or state's athletic association liable for their damages. Once that happens (and it will in time)..... Goodbye contact football.
Some of the larger programs could probably afford premiums, once that happens,we know what happens, insurance companies will dictate policy to the schools on how they will handle concussions. I brought this up yesterday after the KHSAA changed the "hand shake" policy. People, get Jr in soccer,baseball,or basketball or another sport, because very soon football will only be played by the ones who can afford it and are willing to pay the high price of admission,eligibility costs, or just like your auto and home, provide proof of concussion insurance. Like the attorneys, more doctors who are qualified will make money,insurance carriers will benefit, and like always, the bottom of the food chain (us) will pay or not play.
Full deck Wrote:A liability waiver solves the problem. If a parent signs that they cannot sue or hold anyone liable for something that happens at practice or game then what else can be done. If Judges had backbone and wouldn't let lawsuits still go even though papers have been signed, then we wouldn't have this discussion.

Here is the problem, the info about concussions will be blasted to the point a parent will fear for their kid's future. Mom and dad will hear, Mr and Mrs so and so were awarded a lot of $$ and everyone rides the gravy train.....this is the new American way.

I will add, I have 100% witnessed kids who should have never been on the field. It really should have came down to common sense,years ago, rather than come to this point. The coaches and their staff deserve their share of the blame. More often than not, they are far more interested in winning than the kids future.
I have complained about policy for years, when it wasn't cool to question it.
If your child takes a hit hard enough to not know where they are for a few minutes and complains of headaches for a few days, you notice a little difference, you decide it is not worth the kids future. Now, it will become that and lawsuits.
Mark my words, the smaller districts have a big question to ask, "can we afford the liability, what is the protocol, and should we scrap football" ....like it or not, change is coming.
voice of reason Wrote:Some of the larger programs could probably afford premiums, once that happens,we know what happens, insurance companies will dictate policy to the schools on how they will handle concussions. I brought this up yesterday after the KHSAA changed the "hand shake" policy. People, get Jr in soccer,baseball,or basketball or another sport, because very soon football will only be played by the ones who can afford it and are willing to pay the high price of admission,eligibility costs, or just like your auto and home, provide proof of concussion insurance. Like the attorneys, more doctors who are qualified will make money,insurance carriers will benefit, and like always, the bottom of the food chain (us) will pay or not play.

Schools are already paying premiums. That is part of their catastrophic insurance. Schools can only be sued for negligence(if a coach did a improper drill, players playing in the wrong level, etc.) Anything medical that happens during practice or games are covered by the catastrophic insurance. While that may go up and has over the last few years it is still managble right now for schools. In all honesty its in the best interest of doctors to keep football due to all of the other type of injuries that occur. There are 10 times the amount of sprained ankles than they are concussions. While they are serious, concussions are a very small percentage of the injuries that occur during a season. The key is the helmet. The better helmet your school has the rate of concussions go down. Also you take a lot of the contact out of practice, practice tackling technique instead of full on tackling, no taking people to the ground, etc. This relieves some of the repetitive blows that increase the percentage of a player receiving a concussion. There isnt anything wrong with football that there isnt wrong with motocross, baseball or any other sport. Coaches just have to be smarter about how they go abou things.
voice of reason Wrote:Here is the problem, the info about concussions will be blasted to the point a parent will fear for their kid's future. Mom and dad will hear, Mr and Mrs so and so were awarded a lot of $$ and everyone rides the gravy train.....this is the new American way.

I will add, I have 100% witnessed kids who should have never been on the field. It really should have came down to common sense,years ago, rather than come to this point. The coaches and their staff deserve their share of the blame. More often than not, they are far more interested in winning than the kids future.
I have complained about policy for years, when it wasn't cool to question it.
If your child takes a hit hard enough to not know where they are for a few minutes and complains of headaches for a few days, you notice a little difference, you decide it is not worth the kids future. Now, it will become that and lawsuits.
Mark my words, the smaller districts have a big question to ask, "can we afford the liability, what is the protocol, and should we scrap football" ....like it or not, change is coming.

Coaches have been briefed that no head injury is safe. Any complaining of any kind of problem and it becomes a medical issue. They CANNOT return to the field until cleared by a dr. Putting them back into the game after "their bell was rung" is no more.
johnnyd Wrote:Schools are already paying premiums. That is part of their catastrophic insurance. Schools can only be sued for negligence(if a coach did a improper drill, players playing in the wrong level, etc.) Anything medical that happens during practice or games are covered by the catastrophic insurance. While that may go up and has over the last few years it is still managble right now for schools. In all honesty its in the best interest of doctors to keep football due to all of the other type of injuries that occur. There are 10 times the amount of sprained ankles than they are concussions. While they are serious, concussions are a very small percentage of the injuries that occur during a season. The key is the helmet. The better helmet your school has the rate of concussions go down. Also you take a lot of the contact out of practice, practice tackling technique instead of full on tackling, no taking people to the ground, etc. This relieves some of the repetitive blows that increase the percentage of a player receiving a concussion. There isnt anything wrong with football that there isnt wrong with motocross, baseball or any other sport. Coaches just have to be smarter about how they go abou things.

I agree with you to a point, and that is what Mr Collinsworth's issue with HS football, the shear volume of claims will end the game. Schools paying a premium now, doctors making money (neurologists should be the concussion experts, not the family MD or others) still will not address the problem. The blood is in the water and above everything else,the attorneys are the top of the food chain,along with the insurance carriers. Premiums will so high, how many are willing to pay 5 or 10x what they do now for a ticket? not many
johnnyd Wrote:Coaches have been briefed that no head injury is safe. Any complaining of any kind of problem and it becomes a medical issue. They CANNOT return to the field until cleared by a dr. Putting them back into the game after "their bell was rung" is no more.

Protocol is one thing, I have witnessed kids put back into a game after concussion by the next half of football during the same game. Many times, it is "just win baby". I have no dog in the fight, we can't close our eyes and ignore that there will be changes and many programs shut down. Chris Collinsworth is a smart attorney, and don't ignore, blood is in the water. It will take the 1st case and it will become a rolling snowball.
voice of reason Wrote:Protocol is one thing, I have witnessed kids put back into a game after concussion by the next half of football during the same game. Many times, it is "just win baby". I have no dog in the fight, we can't close our eyes and ignore that there will be changes and many programs shut down. Chris Collinsworth is a smart attorney, and don't ignore, blood is in the water. It will take the 1st case and it will become a rolling snowball.

Yes but have you witnessed it lately. This hasnt been a hot button issue but for the last few years.
This will get ugly, but in the end, I hope the sport can prevail. I would like to see
school budgets adjusted accordingly for the best equipment. In May of 2013, Virginia
Tech and Wake Forest did a helmet evaluation. The top 4 helmets on the market that
provide a reduction in the risk for concussion are Riddell's 360, Rawlings Quantum Plus,
Xenith X2, and Riddell Revolution Speed. These range from $265 to $375. The Riddell
360 has the best rating overall ( 5 Stars with a Star Value of 0.239). The Star Value
has to do with the risk of concussion. Therefore, the overall quality rating of 5 Stars
combined with the lowest Star Value of 0.239 makes the Riddell 360 the best on the
market at a price of $375.

How many schools are investing in top of line equipment and have a Riddell 360 helmet?
Which schools supply any of the 4 mentioned?

Just some thoughts.......
johnnyd Wrote:Yes but have you witnessed it lately. This hasnt been a hot button issue but for the last few years.

within the last 3-4 years
voice of reason Wrote:Protocol is one thing, I have witnessed kids put back into a game after concussion by the next half of football during the same game. Many times, it is "just win baby". I have no dog in the fight, we can't close our eyes and ignore that there will be changes and many programs shut down. Chris Collinsworth is a smart attorney, and don't ignore, blood is in the water. It will take the 1st case and it will become a rolling snowball.

Its not excusable but when jobs, money, scholarships, and a family;s standing in the community is involved winning has become more and more important. Pressure makes us all do crazy things.
voice of reason Wrote:within the last 3-4 years

You a dr.?
jw4914 Wrote:This will get ugly, but in the end, I hope the sport can prevail. I would like to see
school budgets adjusted accordingly for the best equipment. In May of 2013, Virginia
Tech and Wake Forest did a helmet evaluation. The top 4 helmets on the market that
provide a reduction in the risk for concussion are Riddell's 360, Rawlings Quantum Plus,
Xenith X2, and Riddell Revolution Speed. These range from $265 to $375. The Riddell
360 has the best rating overall ( 5 Stars with a Star Value of 0.239). The Star Value
has to do with the risk of concussion. Therefore, the overall quality rating of 5 Stars
combined with the lowest Star Value of 0.239 makes the Riddell 360 the best on the
market at a price of $375.

How many schools are investing in top of line equipment and have a Riddell 360 helmet?
Which schools supply any of the 4 mentioned?

Just some thoughts.......

The best equipment should be mandatory, and it will because soon enough the insurance carriers will demand it. It all boils down to insurance carriers and lawyers, money makes the rules. regardless,once a concussion is sustained there will be payouts which will increase rates. The parents will pay the price through ticket costs,maybe a higher school tax. Ultimately, the people always pay the price and attorneys will never stop when money is to be made off of someone else's back (or head) in this case, regardless of equipment and rule changes. Injury is injury, where does it stop? broken bones etc? Attorneys are non stop bloodsuckers. Trying to stop what Collinsworth was speaking about is like using glue and a rubber patch on the Titanic. The sinking has begun.
johnnyd Wrote:You a dr.?

A neurologist is the one to make the call and evaluation regarding concussions. Not the follow my finger,do you have a headache evaluation we so often witness. Kids want to stay in a game, coaches are not qualified to make the call. Maybe each team will be required to have a neurologist on site, I don't know the answer. Mr Collinsworth can see the end, I happen to agree with him. $$$$ makes the rules and calls the shots. It will come down to who can staff and afford the cost. To me, direct that cost at education, I love football,but not at any cost.
Have you had a family member destroyed by having concussions? It sounds to me like you are the one interested in a "lawsuit" and looking for someone to back you up. The school districts in the state have policies in place for handling concussions and concussion like symptoms. If the coaches do not follow these policies they should be let go. There are very very few coaches now that win "at all cost". They are a vanishing breed.
will girl's soccer die too? High concussion rate.

How about baseball with the recent DEATHS by hit pitches either from the bat or just by the pitch?

Cheerleading due to falls.

I don't disagree that football is dangerous and that we need better equipment, more focus, and more trained professionals, but for our country to kill a sport that we know the risks of because of attorneys and money would be wrong. May as well kill all sports and look at our ipads all the time. But then we die from heart disease, so let's sue apple.
footballfanatic33 Wrote:Have you had a family member destroyed by having concussions? It sounds to me like you are the one interested in a "lawsuit" and looking for someone to back you up. The school districts in the state have policies in place for handling concussions and concussion like symptoms. If the coaches do not follow these policies they should be let go. There are very very few coaches now that win "at all cost". They are a vanishing breed.

I think if you read, I said I have no dog in the fight.

I do not need anyone to back me up dude, smell the coffee. Chris Collinsworth saying this is the end of HS football for many programs, glad he is out their pimping for me.
$$$$$ dude, the cost will end the game for many programs....how much higher school taxes are you willing to pay? How much are you willing to pay for a HS ticket? $20 $50? I'm not.
The bottom line is not the kid in any sport, to attorneys and insurance carriers the bottom line is $$, they both see a way to maximize this. It really will not matter the sport in the end.
My personal opinion is a better job needed to be done in the first place,it wasn't and now the light is shining bright on it. With all the liberal law changes,this right,that right, can't do this,can't do that, hell, we have more than sports to worry about.
Cardfan1

I don't disagree that football is dangerous and that we need better equipment, more focus, and more trained professionals, but for our country to kill a sport that we know the risks of because of attorneys and money would be wrong. May as well kill all sports and look at our ipads all the time. But then we die from heart disease, so let's sue apple -

Interesting you say this. Liability over brain cancers due to the use of cellphones will be off the charts in 20 years. Europe is doing the research and that is a future gold mine for attorneys.

I want to be clear, I love football and sports and as long as we are doing the best we can,using the best equipment that should be enough. It is sad that it has really nothing to do with an injured kid or who did right or wrong. It is about liability and a golden opportunity for greed of insurance carriers and attorneys. There business isn't football or any sport, only sucking the life and enjoyment out it, they have no interest in whether you or I agree or disagree on protocol for just making it safe as we can. $$$$ is their language.
A lot of you have very good ideals and opinions about this.
Personally, I think the only way to solve it isnt only by having them sign a liable waiver, as mentioned, but to also have them sign a waiver stating that there insurance carrier will provide complete coverage for any injuries and that the parents will be responsible in the case of an injury.
You are exactly right. Bottom line is money. That is this country. Money the root of all evil. Our govenrment can't function because of money either the mismanagement or it or the greed of it by those in power. Ironically it is lawyers (congressmen are largely lawyers by profession) and health insurance companies that are running the country in the ground right now. Be nice if they had to answer for what they are doing, but they are shifty beings. Point the finger elsewhere and people won't notice what they are doing.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:A lot of you have very good ideals and opinions about this.
Personally, I think the only way to solve it isnt only by having them sign a liable waiver, as mentioned, but to also have them sign a waiver stating that there insurance carrier will provide complete coverage for any injuries and that the parents will be responsible in the case of an injury.

That is good but unfortunately at some point some one will need long term care.The costs would outweigh the x's and o's of it all, it is about $$ not the kid.
Large employers are the same way, the body doing the dangerous job does not matter,make it safe as possible but in the end many do not survive due to cost.

Seriously, how many would agree to a higher tax or how much would you be willing to pay for fees or a ticket to go to a HS game? Many fans like myself,like the game and don't have a kid playing, there certainly is a limit,maybe 10 I would pay to go. Multiply that times family members and maybe I stay home.
To answer your original ? No it will not, and the resulting discussion and actions will be good for the protection of our student-athletes.

The liability waiver as stated earlier will preserve the game at the high school level. Playing football is a risk. I get concerned when the legal eagles and proclaimed experts step forward to dictate policy, inject fear, and impose their will to effect change. I get concerned when the non-experts inject fear.

Good steps have already been taken to ensure youth league, middle school, and high school coaches know the signs of concussion and take action to protect the players involved through training and required classes, exams, etc..

Football means too much to our country, those that have played, are playing, and will continue to do so. It's a great sport which only helps build its participants and prepares them for life. I don't see the "vaginitis" of the current culture ending HS football.

Please don't contribute to it!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:To answer your original ? No it will not, and the resulting discussion and actions will be good for the protection of our student-athletes.

The liability waiver as stated earlier will preserve the game at the high school level. Playing football is a risk. I get concerned when the legal eagles and proclaimed experts step forward to dictate policy, inject fear, and impose their will to effect change. I get concerned when the non-experts inject fear.

Good steps have already been taken to ensure youth league, middle school, and high school coaches know the signs of concussion and take action to protect the players involved through training and required classes, exams, etc..

Football means too much to our country, those that have played, are playing, and will continue to do so. It's a great sport which only helps build its participants and prepares them for life. I don't see the "vaginitis" of the current culture ending HS football.

Please don't contribute to it!!!

Read closely, I agree about the "vaginitis" of this entire nation,regardless of sport(s). Signing waivers will only entice the 1st case of a kid being injured and the "unfit parent" crowd will come forward. Guys, this isn't me, you have the experts on the subject such as Collinsworth saying this. Facts are facts, the waiver would be signed by a parent really solves nothing. The parent signs because the player is too young to sue, this is out the window once the kid is old enough and develops problems.
If I had my way things would be tougher,dodgeball,football and everything would be safe. Kids who can't keep up would not be pussified, it would be growing up. The whole point is NOTHING to do about the sport, the blood ($$) is in the water, do you know an attorney who is not greedy? If so you are in the minority.

Cris Collinsworth said "he expects major concussion lawsuits in college and HS football" - that is the problem, not bringing it to light on this board.
We can discuss this til our fingers are wore down to the bone....

But at the end of the day...... Football is a CONTACT sport! If you play football, at some point, you will make physical contact with another person.

But trust me on this, I mentioned it earlier..... There will be (the only variable is time) some new (looking to make a name for theirself) judge who will award millions to somebody that played HS football and made the claim that the injuries they suffered playing football has effected their ability to work and provide for a family. They will name the school, the state association and the National High School Athletic Assoc. as a responsible party.

And once that happens.... as VOR said, the Blood (Money) is in the water, there will be thousands of people across the Nation file on the same claim and they will win.
I know we've all heard people talk about that "Old Football Injury" that when they got hurt, it knocked their team out of the state championship game.

What is the current generation gonna tell their grandkids..... about how awesome their High School's flag football team was. "Sonny, we didn't have a single flag pulled off from us the whole season..... we were a bunch of beasts!" :igiveup: :please: :lame: :truestory:
Pulp Fiction Wrote:We can discuss this til our fingers are wore down to the bone....

But at the end of the day...... Football is a CONTACT sport! If you play football, at some point, you will make physical contact with another person.

But trust me on this, I mentioned it earlier..... There will be (the only variable is time) some new (looking to make a name for theirself) judge who will award millions to somebody that played HS football and made the claim that the injuries they suffered playing football has effected their ability to work and provide for a family. They will name the school, the state association and the National High School Athletic Assoc. as a responsible party.

And once that happens.... as VOR said, the Blood (Money) is in the water, there will be thousands of people across the Nation file on the same claim and they will win.

Exactly!!! you get it. We cannot stick our heads in the sand and be accused of spreading fear...as a prior poster claimed I, as a non-expert was doing.Who famously said "kill all the attorney's"? Spread all you want, let let the payouts begin anywhere in the nation and most rinky dink programs such as we have in Ky will fold like a cheap lounge chair. The school systems simply won't risk it. The strong may survive, but most will not. How rich is your district? How much will parents be willing to pay? I have yet to see a poster say their top dollar per ticket to offset the cost that are coming.....soon. Don't forget to add in the cost of the ones who won't show up.