• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard @ Harlan 10/11
Who you got in this one?

I got Hazard big

Hazard 48
Harlan 7
I hope Harlan makes hazard earn it good luck Harlan :rockon:
Has Harlan ever been this down before?
In 2007 they only won one game and lost to Jenkins, so yea they are probably better this year than that year.
bac2369 Wrote:Has Harlan ever been this down before?

0-10 in 1991 and 1987
Harlan has been unable to replace last years senior class. Next year they should be much better. Hazard by 20.
How are they going to be much better they return like 12 kids and lose Chorak who is their best offensive player
Hazard
Hazard should win big.
Hazard running clock by half
Hazard by 3 touchdowns in this one.
CanYouLiveWithoutIt Wrote:How are they going to be much better they return like 12 kids and lose Chorak who is their best offensive player

I hear Coach Donahue is retiring after this year and Chad Wood, the New Harlan coach, is going to replace him. Any truth to it?:insane:
No problem for Hazard in this one.
Quote:I hear Coach Donahue is retiring after this year and Chad Wood, the New Harlan coach, is going to replace him. Any truth to it?

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I've heard the same thing from several places. It would be a smart move for Harlan to make. I think it would definitely help them with their numbers.
He wouldn't do go for it! The crow (Jackie Cornett) may be the next head man!
Hazard ALOT
Harlan A little....

Hazard with a running clock
Where do I start with this JB retiring or just hiring Chad Wood as offensive coordinator? Harlan's numbers are at a all time low. They are grasping for everything including hiring a popular county head coach to get kids from the county to go to the city. I know I am going to take a lot of flack for this but here it goes, Harlan Ind. has ALWAYS begged, borrowed and stole from Harlan County just to stay afloat. Harlan County BOE helps Harlan Ind. and KILLS there own district by giving Harlan Ind. an unfair contract. This contract is up again this year. What will happen? Well, I will tell you what happens. The S.O.S!!! Harlan County board will give the Ind. a contract that will help them and hurt the county. WHY? The City puts the money in and buys the county board members. I don't give a DAMN what the city or even county folks say about this but it is the TRUTH! It is time for County folks to stand up and say enough is enough! I am tired of losing teachers. Before you say the economy and loss of enrollment has to do with the loss of teachers I will say this, giving the city a contract that gives them the upper hand and KILLING the county is absolutely CRAZY!!!! Sad to say I don't see this board or new superintendent changing things because the former superintendent fought his heart out for this county and trying to stop this craziness but the city continued to buy our own board members. He was fighting a losing battle. We get what we deserve and that SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Hazard by a lot
The problem with the county is that for years their middle school coaches (Chad Wood in particular) have been underappreciated. This has been less so under the current high school staff. As an example, several years ago, a Cawood High School football coach bypassed Chad Wood and Britt Craig and asked me to join their staff. I have never coached football in my life and I know nothing about coaching football. This coach just wanted someone from our end of the county to try to attract numbers. It was a slap in the face to actual football coaches to do that. Even now, neither of those coaches have ever been offered a spot on the high school staff that I know of. I'm sure if Harlan offered the job (or a position on the staff) to either of those guys, it would have to be considered. The difference between the county and the city is that the city has always taken care of their own, while the county has bypassed their own in favor of people from the city in hopes of hurting the city school system. Its the same deal--a slap in the face to the county staff.
Joker's Wild Wrote:The problem with the county is that for years their middle school coaches (Chad Wood in particular) have been underappreciated. This has been less so under the current high school staff. As an example, several years ago, a Cawood High School football coach bypassed Chad Wood and Britt Craig and asked me to join their staff. I have never coached football in my life and I know nothing about coaching football. This coach just wanted someone from our end of the county to try to attract numbers. It was a slap in the face to actual football coaches to do that. Even now, neither of those coaches have ever been offered a spot on the high school staff that I know of. I'm sure if Harlan offered the job (or a position on the staff) to either of those guys, it would have to be considered. The difference between the county and the city is that the city has always taken care of their own, while the county has bypassed their own in favor of people from the city in hopes of hurting the city school system. Its the same deal--a slap in the face to the county staff.

Wrong! Nice try though. I'll tell you firsthand how much Chad Wood and Britt Craig are appreciated. I've had two sons play for them and would be thrilled to have a third. They taught my kids a lot about the game of football. More than that, they taught them self discipline, the importance of team work and attending practice, pushed them to be better, encouraged them both on and off the field, and instilled in them a love for the game of football. Under appreciated? I think not! This is one Mama who loves and appreciates them both. If you do not have good coaches in your feeder programs then your varsity programs will suffer. I'd worry more about how to be beat Hazard than what's happening on "the other end of the county". Coach Donahue and his boys deserve the support from the Green faithful instead of talking about his alleged retirement right here before the playoffs. Good luck to the Dragons.
BBN30 Wrote:I hear Coach Donahue is retiring after this year and Chad Wood, the New Harlan coach, is going to replace him. Any truth to it?:insane:

Why would he want to downgrade himself. His New Harlan teams could beat Harlan High School teams year in and out.
I know Chad Wood very good and he would never move to the green dragons. Chad and Britt are very good coaches and appreciated much. I think people are mixed up about this rumor. I heard Joe Bill Baker may be the next coach at Gilley Stadium. JB Donahue is a great coach and great guy also. I am sure there are plenty of former dragon players that would attest to that. Good luck JB.
[QUOTE][Wrong! Nice try though. I'll tell you firsthand how much Chad Wood and Britt Craig are appreciated. I've had two sons play for them and would be thrilled to have a third. They taught my kids a lot about the game of football. More than that, they taught them self discipline, the importance of team work and attending practice, pushed them to be better, encouraged them both on and off the field, and instilled in them a love for the game of football. Under appreciated? I think not! This is one Mama who loves and appreciates them both. If you do not have good coaches in your feeder programs then your varsity programs will suffer. I'd worry more about how to be beat Hazard than what's happening on "the other end of the county". Coach Donahue and his boys deserve the support from the Green faithful instead of talking about his alleged retirement right here before the playoffs. Good luck to the Dragons./QUOTE]

I'm not talking about being under appreciated by parents and people who work with them. I'm sure you do appreciate them--I do, too! (Sometimes). Unfortunately, our appreciation doesn't do them any good as far as opportunities go. I know both if them would love the opportunity to coach on the high school level (doing actual coaching--not just filling a position on a staff). For years, they have been bypassed--that's the under appreciation I'm talking about. As I also said--it's not been as bad with the current staff. However, if the opportunity arises for them to coach on that level at ANY school--they would consider it. You're right about hijacking this thread though-good luck Harlan!!
Coach Donahue is a good coach and man. If he retires he will be sorely missed at Harlan.
Joker's Wild Wrote:The difference between the county and the city is that the city has always taken care of their own, while the county has bypassed their own in favor of people from the city in hopes of hurting the city school system. Its the same deal--a slap in the face to the county staff.

I can't think of any football examples, but there are some in other sports of county graduates coaching at Harlan:

The last two basketball coaches, Tommy Hensley and David Parks, are Cawood graduates.
The current girls basketball coach, Derrick Akal, is a Cumberland graduate.
The current baseball coach, Robbie Burns, is a Cawood graduate. Previous coaches also had county connections, Butch Steele, from Evarts, Jackie Cornett, from Cumberland, David Evans, from Evarts, and Todd Murner, from Lynch.
Two recent principals, Sheila Smith and Stacy Noah, were Cawood graduates.
Quote:The last two basketball coaches, Tommy Hensley and David Parks, are Cawood graduates.
The current girls basketball coach, Derrick Akal, is a Cumberland graduate.
The current baseball coach, Robbie Burns, is a Cawood graduate. Previous coaches also had county connections, Butch Steele, from Evarts, Jackie Cornett, from Cumberland, David Evans, from Evarts, and Todd Murner, from Lynch.
Two recent principals, Sheila Smith and Stacy Noah, were Cawood graduates.

Point taken. That comment was probably worded poorly and the examples I'm thinking of are too much to get into and probably not as related to sports as I made it sound. Again, poor choice of words...
One last post on this issue--if JB does retire, Harlan would be making a mistake to not at least consider Coach Wood...and I'm sure he would at least consider them. I have absolutely zero insight into what Harlan's or JB's plans are though.
You people are crazy, if you all are holding out hope he'll be the next coach at Harlan County, you're sadly mistaken. You know just as well as I do Tim Saylor still runs everything out there, including the Football program. Wood and Craig do a good job every year, so why not take a challenge in Harlan?
New school, great facilities, beautiful field, very good coach, successful couple of seasons. Hard sell for Dragons when kids are making a decision as to which school to attend.
BBN30 Wrote:You people are crazy, if you all are holding out hope he'll be the next coach at Harlan County, you're sadly mistaken. You know just as well as I do Tim Saylor still runs everything out there, including the Football program. Wood and Craig do a good job every year, so why not take a challenge in Harlan?

It's always interesting how Tim Saylor gets blamed if someone has something negative on their mind.
I don't know of any decisions he's made at HCHS in the last year.
He did some great things when was making the decisions though. Harlan County has the nicest high school facility in eastern Kentucky, and perhaps the state, and this is one of the poorest counties in the state with high unemployment. That's a pretty amazing accomplishment in itself.
As far as athletics, Harlan County won two regional championships in the past three years. No one has done that since Tim Saylor was coaching at Cumberland in the 80s. Evarts, Cawood and Harlan haven't won that many in the history of their schools.
The boys and girls basketball teams and the baseball team have already made it to the regional finals.
It took Cawood a decade to build winning teams when the school opened because the people in charge at that time did not make the wise decisions that Saylor and the board and Principal Bob Howard made in the early days of the school.