Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Trinity 29 - Louisville St. Xavier 17
Final from Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium!
Boooooo!
This was supposed to be the year :HitWall:
Bowling Green went on the road and beat St. X by more Confusedhh:

But, no matter what Trinity is still the best in the state, no matter there performance, right?
When all you have is a score comparison you just have to go with it. I believe this game solidifies Bowling Green at #1 in KY.
You know the ole saying? "To be the man you have to beat the man." Still not a team in KY that has beat trinity yet!!! :closed:
Love to see the Rocks and Bowlin Green lock horns. How about they open up next season in Western's stadium
With the game on the line, Trinity High School football coach Bob Beatty went to his top two weapons -- Reggie Bonnafon and Donald Brooks -- and they didn't disappoint him.

"There at the end of the game ... I said, 'It's pretty easy to call this,' " Beatty said. "Those guys sealed it."

Bonnafon made a big fourth-down pass and Brooks followed with the touchdown that put it away as the Shamrocks beat rival St. Xavier 29-17 on Friday in front of a crowd estimated at 27,000 at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

The Shamrocks (3-3), No. 1 in the state in The Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings, beat No. 11 St. X (4-3) for the seventh straight time and took a 38-36-2 lead in the series. It's the longest winning streak in series history, surpassing the Shamrocks' six-game run from 1987-92.

"I don't know about the win streak," Beatty said. "It's just good to win. When you're .500, I'll take a win any way I can spit it out, chew it, any way I can get it."

Beatty leaned on his studs as Brooks carried 23 times for 114 yards and two touchdowns and also had four catches for 34 yards and a score. Bonnafon completed 14 of 20 passes for 215 yards and two TDs.

The Tigers played without leading rusher Charles Walker, who was out with a thigh bruise and didn't practice all week. With Treyveon Percell already lost for the season with a knee injury, Austin Davis carried the load with 99 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries.

"He had high-quality work tonight," coach Will Wolford said. "He's going to be better for this."

Wolford had declined to name a starting quarterback before the game but went with senior B.J. Nagle for all but one series. He completed 6 of 19 passes for 89 yards and a touchdown with two interceptions. Junior Noah Houk led the Tigers on their third possession and completed 1 of 2 throws for 1 yard.

Trinity took the lead for good on a late first-half drive during which Bonnafon completed three consecutive passes. The first two went for 13 and 47 yards to sophomore Rodjay Burns before a 13-yard TD pass to Brooks gave the Shamrocks a 14-7 lead with 52 seconds left in the half.

Brooks hurdled a defender at the 7-yard line before getting into the end zone.

"Actually it was a jump cut," Brooks said. "I thought they were going to call a flag for it because you can't really do that. Hey, I scored the touchdown for my team. It was an important part of the game."

Jake Collins' 35-yard field goal on the final play of the half pulled the Tigers within 14-10.

Bonnafon's 17-yard TD pass to Cody Swabek gave Trinity a 20-10 lead with 33 seconds left in the third quarter, but the Tigers answered right back. Dekota Jones returned the kickoff 58 yards, and four plays later Davis punched it from 7 yards out to pull St. X within 20-17 with 11:18 remaining in the game.

But Trinity put it away on its next possession. On fourth-and-four at the St. X 23, Bonnafon hit Swabek for an 11-yard gain. On the next play, Brooks carried it in from the 12 to make it 26-17 with 8:23 left.

Swabek had a game-high 72 yards on four receptions.

"Cody's had his struggles, and I've been trying to tell him to keep his head up and stuff," Bonnafon said. "I knew if he got a couple of touches this game his confidence would shoot back up real high. I wanted to get him the ball early to make plays, and he did today."

Wolford said the fourth-down pass "really ripped our hearts out."

"That was really the only time I was disappointed in our defense, because their effort was great and they played their hearts out," he said. "But they made the big play on fourth down, and our kids sulked and hung their heads. You can't do that."

Will Washle intercepted a Nagle pass on the Tigers' next possession, and Andrew Deye's 30-yard field goal completed the scoring with 6:06 remaining.

Beatty said he was pleased with the way his defense kept the team in the game until the offense found its stride.

"It's a big rivalry game, so you do what you have to do to find a rhythm," he said. "I feel like Reggie was a little bit off early, so we just had to keep finding it. Then he hit a couple of deep balls, and those kids made plays."

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...-in-series
I've never been to this game but I bet it was a great atmosphere! Boyle vs Danville is the best atmosphere I've seen personally. The whole town painted up! Students painted up! Great spirit in title town.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Bowling Green went on the road and beat St. X by more Confusedhh:

But, no matter what Trinity is still the best in the state, no matter there performance, right?

THAT'S RIGHT! NO ONE ELSE IS ALLOWED TO EVEN DREAM OF BEING THAT GOOD........Confusednicker:
This needs to be settled on the field.
E's Army Wrote:This needs to be settled on the field.

This should have been settled when they was making there schedule up in early spring problem would have been solve :please:
panther nation Wrote:You know the ole saying? "To be the man you have to beat the man." Still not a team in KY that has beat trinity yet!!! :closed:

Yea, they always said that about Bell in the mountains.
Too bad when there getting drilled now.
Trinity will schedule Bowling Green when all there talent finally dries up for a year or two Confusednicker:
I have spoken with several St.X fans since last night. They all said that the Purples were better this year and they really believe they can beat Trinity, when Charles Walker returns. Walker is the only reason BG didn't blow out St.X.
Gee, Bowling Green people are really blowing smoke. Of course, they know that they won't be playing Louisville Trinity. Trinity plays in the national major league. Bowling Green plays in Kentucky Class 5A. There is quite a difference.

The bottom line is that Bowling Green can't compete with Louisville Trinity. Never have. Most likely never will.
Trinity plays for National Championships. They won't waste a non-district game on someone that isn't nationally ranked. Maybe T and BG can do a scrimmage next season.
Real Badman Wrote:Trinity plays for National Championships. They won't waste a non-district game on someone that isn't nationally ranked. Maybe T and BG can do a scrimmage next season.

Ohh contraire my friend.
What do you mean? Bowling Green was nationally ranked by MaxPreps and others. Not sure where they stand now, because of there softer schedule compared to teams like Trinity, but I know Bowling Green WAS nationally ranked, not sure about now.

As for national championships, it appears Trinity is going to have to fight for there life to get over St X and Scott County this year.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Gee, Bowling Green people are really blowing smoke. Of course, they know that they won't be playing Louisville Trinity. Trinity plays in the national major league. Bowling Green plays in Kentucky Class 5A. There is quite a difference.

The bottom line is that Bowling Green can't compete with Louisville Trinity. Never have. Most likely never will.

What Bowling Green people are blowing smoke.
I know of one BG fan on this site and he never blows smoke.
Face the facts, folks from all over this state believe BG could be the best team in this state.
To say they couldnt compete with Trinity this year is just ignorant. This same Trinity team you just spoke of beat St. X by a less margin than Bowling Green did on the road.
Real Badman Wrote:Trinity plays for National Championships. They won't waste a non-district game on someone that isn't nationally ranked. Maybe T and BG can do a scrimmage next season.

And there record against these nationally ranked teams this year shows exactly where they are.:igiveup: Not nearly as good as they have been the last 2 or 3 years.
^
Bingo!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Bingo!

:truestory:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What Bowling Green people are blowing smoke.
I know of one BG fan on this site and he never blows smoke.
Face the facts, folks from all over this state believe BG could be the best team in this state.
To say they couldnt compete with Trinity this year is just ignorant. This same Trinity team you just spoke of beat St. X by a less margin than Bowling Green did on the road.

Dream on. The alleged, by you, opinion of "fans all over the state" means nothing other than to indicate that all the government school boys want the mighty private school from Louisville to lose. Comparative scores mean nothing. Is anyone fool enough to believe that Louisville St. Xavier was remotely as "up" for a game against little Bowling Green as it was for a district game against its main nemesis? Bowling Green was merely a game. Louisville Trinity was the whole season. But, then, if you boys were better informed, you would know that your comparison is ridiculous.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Dream on. The alleged, by you, opinion of "fans all over the state" means nothing other than to indicate that all the government school boys want the mighty private school from Louisville to lose. Comparative scores mean nothing. Is anyone fool enough to believe that Louisville St. Xavier was remotely as "up" for a game against little Bowling Green as it was for a district game against its main nemesis? Bowling Green was merely a game. Louisville Trinity was the whole season. But, then, if you boys were better informed, you would know that your comparison is ridiculous.

:biglmao:

You make me laugh.
It has nothing to do with the private fiasco, and while it is bull that they play in the same competetion, it has absoloutly nothing to do with that.
Fact that facts Harry Crotch, Bowling Green has been more impressive thus far. Doesnt matter what you do or say, nothing will change that!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote::biglmao:

You make me laugh.
It has nothing to do with the private fiasco, and while it is bull that they play in the same competetion, it has absoloutly nothing to do with that.
Fact that facts Harry Crotch, Bowling Green has been more impressive thus far. Doesnt matter what you do or say, nothing will change that!

Dream on, RunItUpTheGut. Your fantasy world works well for you. Reality, on the other hand, would be quite different. And, if you are in the Louisville area sometime, go by Trinity and look at all the trophies. You can take a few pictures and show them to the people in Bowling Green.:1:
If Trinity is that good and only worries about national ratings why don't they join a super-conference with X, some of the big dogs from Indy, and the GCL conderence from Cincy? This would be a wonderful chance for them to compete EVERY year for the national glory and let the rest of us common 6A teams who draw our kids from the same area every year have a chance to win a state title?
The bigger picture for T would be you can expand your vast recruiting area and even draw in even more poor inner-city youths that mysteriously can afford the 12K a year to attend your prestigious school. Harry, store bought trophies don't impress people who are not plastic..........
Trinity is a great program, but all schools have "off" years. This is not the Trinity team of the last two years. Bowling Green has been Nationally ranked higher than Trinity in all but one poll, since the season started. Take off the blinders and see the world for what it is.
hop24 Wrote:If Trinity is that good and only worries about national ratings why don't they join a super-conference with X, some of the big dogs from Indy, and the GCL conderence from Cincy? This would be a wonderful chance for them to compete EVERY year for the national glory and let the rest of us common 6A teams who draw our kids from the same area every year have a chance to win a state title?
The bigger picture for T would be you can expand your vast recruiting area and even draw in even more poor inner-city youths that mysteriously can afford the 12K a year to attend your prestigious school. Harry, store bought trophies don't impress people who are not plastic..........

I wondered how long it would be before a government schooler started whining about recruiting. Let's be honest. If your child were an outstanding football prospect, you would surely want him to go to a school that gets national exposure. As for recruiting, offer some factual evidence. Whimpering and bemoaning isn't evidence. Jealous accusations are not evidence. In other words put some competent evidence with your crying.

As for the super conference, the few schools, including Trinity, who are capable of competing in such a league are also competing for state championships. Their alumni and their supporters expect it. The KHSAA expects it- particularly since Trinity and St. Xavier compete in many scholastic sports besides football- an win a goodly number of state titles in some of those sports.

Trinity seems to do all it can to compete in a "super conference" by only playing three district games in Kentucky. Maybe Bowling Green could attempt the same.

And, as for competing for "national glory" each year, that is sort of what they have done the last few years, haven't they?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I wondered how long it would be before a government schooler started whining about recruiting. Let's be honest. If your child were an outstanding football prospect, you would surely want him to go to a school that gets national exposure. As for recruiting, offer some factual evidence. Whimpering and bemoaning isn't evidence. Jealous accusations are not evidence. In other words put some competent evidence with your crying.

As for the super conference, the few schools, including Trinity, who are capable of competing in such a league are also competing for state championships. Their alumni and their supporters expect it. The KHSAA expects it- particularly since Trinity and St. Xavier compete in many scholastic sports besides football- an win a goodly number of state titles in some of those sports.

Trinity seems to do all it can to compete in a "super conference" by only playing three district games in Kentucky. Maybe Bowling Green could attempt the same.

And, as for competing for "national glory" each year, that is sort of what they have done the last few years, haven't they?

That's the problem with the schools who are good enough to compete in a super conference, they want national recognition which is fine, but they want to pummel all us "goverment schoolers" at home. If T and X were in a tri-state super conference and had years like this where they would be bottem feeders the $ alumni and $$ boosters might lose some interest in the program and go away. Then we all know what would happen to the program.
As far as recruiting. My child is a dam good prospect and could have went to a different school. Probably could have sent him to a GCL school but he has pride in our community and our program and he and his teamates through hard work have a nice team this year and yes he will be playing on Saturdays and no one will ever call him a sellout.

How are theses kids attending Trinity as far as money goes. And your arrogance is pitiful. When you call us "government schoolers" you ripped 95% of this board. Oh I forgot, you prolly buy your friends as well.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Dream on, RunItUpTheGut. Your fantasy world works well for you. Reality, on the other hand, would be quite different. And, if you are in the Louisville area sometime, go by Trinity and look at all the trophies. You can take a few pictures and show them to the people in Bowling Green.:1:

To be honest, im scared to willingly walk into a school designed for only boys, especially catholic boys.
Just saying.
hop24 Wrote:That's the problem with the schools who are good enough to compete in a super conference, they want national recognition which is fine, but they want to pummel all us "goverment schoolers" at home. If T and X were in a tri-state super conference and had years like this where they would be bottem feeders the $ alumni and $$ boosters might lose some interest in the program and go away. Then we all know what would happen to the program.
As far as recruiting. My child is a dam good prospect and could have went to a different school. Probably could have sent him to a GCL school but he has pride in our community and our program and he and his teamates through hard work have a nice team this year and yes he will be playing on Saturdays and no one will ever call him a sellout.

How are theses kids attending Trinity as far as money goes. And your arrogance is pitiful. When you call us "government schoolers" you ripped 95% of this board. Oh I forgot, you prolly buy your friends as well.

Excellent post. What harry is forgetting to mention is that even though there a private school, many of the "football players" need financial assistance the same way public schools do. How many bright kids are left out of the wonderful Trinity College University because Bubba can tackle?