Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New coaches in the 15th region
Several new coaches in the region this year (Lawrence Co., Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg, Pike Central). What grade do each of these schools receive for their off season hires?
I really don't know much about the Lawrence County and Pike Central's hires but here is my thoughts on the others:

Johnson Central - Darrin Rice - Grade B - A quality coach who had done an excellent job at Sheldon Clark previously. Johnson Central has a lot of young talent and a veteran coach is exactly what they needed. With the young talent the grade could change as the year goes on.

Sheldon Clark - Tim Rice - Grade B+ - IMO shows the commitment of the Sheldon Clark program recruiting a quality coach. Could be a tough year since they lost two of their top players last year. Again a lot of young players on this team so the grade could change by the end of the year.

Betsy Layne - Randy Coleman - Grade B - A good hire. Coach Coleman coached one of the feeder schools for BL high school last year so he has already coached a lot of girls on this team. Betsy Layne will return to power in the 58th distrcit after this year. With Allen Central High School returning all but one starter from a top 4 Regional team last year, Betsy Layne should finish 2 in the 58th district this year.

Prestonsburg - Brandon Gearheart - Grade C - For the second year in a row, PHS has hired a rookie coach making this a questionable hire. Along with the fact he hired 3 assistants with little or no coaching experience also makes me worry. A YOUNG team last year started 3 freshman, 8th grader, a 7th grader and your top two reserves were another 7th and 6th grader could have benefited from a veteran head coach. With the majority of middle school talent for the 58th district located at his feeder school (Allen), if Coach Gearheart can convince these girls he is the right hire then he could be successful in a few years. Coach Gearheart will bring a great work ethic and potentially an exciting style of basketball to PHS with the right players.
Coach Rice will get the girls back to winning. Hate that it didn't work out for Cochran because she was such an excellent player for JC.
I would have to grade them similar to poster above.

Sheldon Clark - Tim Rice- had a lot of success at Southwestern. Built a solid program there. I hear the cardinals have suffered some major injuries this summer. So we may have to wait later in the season to give final grade. I agree SC did a great job of getting him to Martin county. Grade A-.

Johnson Central - Darrin Rice - Also did a great job of getting established coach to move. Coach Rice is where he wants to be and in my opinion will rebuild JC back to a regional contender in a year or two. Grade A-

Betsy Layne - Randy Coleman - hopefully will change BL style of play. Has the talent to win but may need one more year to make that step to contender. Good hire for BL. Grade B.

Prestonsburg - Brandon Gearheart - needs some time to learn the ropes of varsity coaching. Pburg needs to stick with a coach and give them time to grow. Grade - C.

Pike Central - ? Hatcher - arrives from W VA. 1st head coaching job, PC will be way down this year, so may have to wait a while to get a good read on coaching ability. Comes from a strong basketball family so that should help. Grade C- (based on returning talent.)

Lawrence Co. - ? ? not sure, do know talent level is down from last year. Grade - Incomplete. because I have no knowledge of new coach. Need some help on this one.
I am glad to see Tim Rice at Sheldon Clark. I hope he is able to win some regional championships during his run there.
I don't understand Prestonsburg not wanting to hire top veteran coaches like other schools. The only good hire they have made in the last 20 years is Simpkins for baseball. Which shows in his success so far bringing a non-contender in district play to a contender for regional titles. Is it all politics or do they just not want the sports programs to succeed.
Basketball season a little over a month away. Any updates on these new coaches and their programs? I am looking forward to the upcoming season and hope the 15th region has some exciting basketball this year. Also heard there would be a new coach at Allen Central this year. If so,who is it?
both betsy layne and sheldon clark made great hires in randy coleman and tim rice. Randy has coached under JR Newsome for 4 years now and I think he will get the ladycats back to prominece and out AC as district champions
New coaches may be what this region needs.
Basketball Guru Wrote:Basketball season a little over a month away. Any updates on these new coaches and their programs? I am looking forward to the upcoming season and hope the 15th region has some exciting basketball this year. Also heard there would be a new coach at Allen Central this year. If so,who is it?

Records for this season to date.

Sheldon Clark 2-4, with wins over 2-5 Elliott Co. & 1-4 Lawrence Co.

Johnson Central 4-3, beating 0-6 Prestonsburg, North West Whitfield GA, 4-2 Letcher Co Central, and 4-1 Breathitt Co

Betsy Layne 3-2, with wins over 2-2 Piarist, 2-4 Sheldon Clark, and 0-6 Prestonsburg

Prestonsburg 0-6, they have only been competitive in one game against 2-4 Belfry losing 43-40

Pike Central 2-4, beating 2-2 Piarist and John I Burton VA

Lawrence County 1-4, only win coming against 0-6 Prestonsburg
Whitley got this one
But my money will be on Corbin at the district tournament
The Redhounds host
What players are injured in the 15th region, hear their quite a few?