Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male 40 Ballard 0
Final
Good to see Male getting it done again this week.
blowout, congrats Male
The Bruins were supposed to give Male's football team its stiffest test of the season, but it didn't come about as the unbeaten Bulldogs romped to a 40-0 victory Friday night at Ballard.

Male dominated the Bruins (2-4) so thoroughly that a running clock was put into operation after Delondre Coleman intercepted a pass and returned it 42 yards for a touchdown with 7:21 remaining in the third quarter.

Ballard coach Mike Jackson, when asked how good he thought Male (5-0) was, said, "They're really good. They're big up front and their offensive line comes off blocks better than any team I've seen in a while. We had them blocked pretty well at times, but they spun off those blocks.''

Ellis Cain and Keion Wakefield each scored two touchdowns as Male came up with one big play after another. Male, No. 25 in The Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings, entered the game averaging 50.8 points per contest, but coach Chris Wolfe also liked what he saw in his team's defensive play. The Bulldogs limited Ballard (2-4) to three first downs and 60 yards in total offense.

"Ballard threw a different defense at us early so we went to a running game,'' Wolfe said. "Our defense didn't give them anything. In our last game, we didn't give Jeffersontown a first down the whole game. I don't think I've had a team do that in 15 years of coaching.''

Cain, a junior, scored on runs of 22 and 25 yards in the second quarter, and rushed for 126 yards on 17 carries for the game, gaining 116 of those yards on 14 runs in the first half.

"We pretty much ran the ball well, but when Ballard put 10 men in the box we started airing it out,'' said Cain, who made a quick move to his left and down the sidelines to score his first TD. "I turned on the jets. My line did a great job. This is the best line I've played behind.''

Wakefield, a sophomore, caught two TD passes of 40 and 16 yards from quarterback Davis Mattingly, a junior. Wakefield also returned two punts of 52 and 32 yards. His 52-yarder put Male on the Ballard 22, from where Cain ran it in on the next play for a 14-0 lead.

"I knew if I stayed behind that wall the guys would take care of me,'' Wakefield said. "We still have some things to clean up, but I thought we played pretty good. Tonight, I give credit to our offensive line.''

Wakefield's 32-yard punt return put Male on the Ballard 33. Cain gained 13 yards on second down and four plays later Mattingly hit Wakefield on the 16-yard scoring strike. That made it 34-0 with 7:48 left in the third period.

Twenty seven seconds later, lightning struck again. Deiondre Coleman, a defensive back, picked off a Mattingly pass and dashed 42 yards untouched into the end zone for a 40-0 lead.

Marque Northington scored Male's first TD on a seven-yard run with 20.7 seconds left in the first quarter. A 12-yard run by Cain and Mattingly's 19-yard pass to Jack Kuerzi were the big plays leading up to the score.

Asked if Wakefield could be Male's next great player, Wolfe said, "He's pretty good and he's got three more years (counting this season).''

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...llard-40-0