Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGR Regional Power Rankings- CKY/Lex Metro
1. Scott County- Head and shoulders....
2. Boyle County- No style points this past week, but the Anderosn wins looks better
3. LexCath- Had a chance to jump Boyle who struggled with GRC, but alas LexCath doesnt look impressive against a down Madison Central
4. Henry Clay- HC could have jumped to #2...but they dont look overly impressive against a weak Boone County
5. Anderson County- Stomp a decent Mercer County to edge out a host of teams

Game of the Week:
Bryan Station @ Tates Creek- Not a very intriguing slate this weekend, but this could be a shootout
Makes no sense. Franklin County has been in this ranking since the preseason and has won every game they have played handily and beat a good Beechwood team on Friday but they are out of the rankings now?
oline Wrote:Makes no sense. Franklin County has been in this ranking since the preseason and has won every game they have played handily and beat a good Beechwood team on Friday but they are out of the rankings now?

Yes..

These are power rankings and are fluid.. just because you win do not mean you are grandfathered in and frankly Franklin County should handle Beechwood fairly easily for their size. As mentioned last week there are about 6 or 7 teams who are very, very close after Scott County and right now Franklin County is not really standing out with a schedule full of teams they are playing down against.

Had Franklin County beat Beechwood the way a perceived Top 10 AAAAA team should, then they could have very easily jumped to #2. Instead they reinforce they are more of a paper tiger than anything. To make matters worse, Beechwood is clearly Franklin's best win and by a large margin..
oline Wrote:Makes no sense. Franklin County has been in this ranking since the preseason and has won every game they have played handily and beat a good Beechwood team on Friday but they are out of the rankings now?

Yeah bub you gotta Trail half the game against a 6a power like Clark Co. to get that 2 spot. HAHAHAHA Don't pay these any attention buddy its a joke
IMO a win is a win and the flyers did that against a perennial power in 1A football. No one on this list did anything to take that spot from them. HS football is right though these rankings are pretty useless. As far as your paper tiger comment is concerned don't sleep on the Flyers. The big names are gone from the capital city but they have a core that has been through the battles and will be ready when it counts.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Yeah bub you gotta Trail half the game against a 6a power like Clark Co. to get that 2 spot. HAHAHAHA Don't pay these any attention buddy its a joke

I post these so you guys can discuss an area on here that doesn't have a lot of following... share with us your Top 5 and reasoning. I think everyone would love to hear more.
oline Wrote:IMO a win is a win and the flyers did that against a perennial power in 1A football. No one on this list did anything to take that spot from them. HS football is right though these rankings are pretty useless. As far as your paper tiger comment is concerned don't sleep on the Flyers. The big names are gone from the capital city but they have a core that has been through the battles and will be ready when it counts.

So you think Madison Southern should be ranked ahead of Franklin County? Eagles have at least went undefeated playing similar sized schools and won by more impressive margins.
you tell me brother. You are the expert. I'm just a football fan stating an opinion.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Yeah bub you gotta Trail half the game against a 6a power like Clark Co. to get that 2 spot. HAHAHAHA Don't pay these any attention buddy its a joke

Also I clearly state that Boyle and LexCath did not have impressive wins..but none below them did enough to jump them or it would have happened

Boyle- Struggle against a bad 6A team
LexCath- Struggle against a bad 6A team
Henry Clay- struggle against a bad 6A team
Franklin County- Struggle with 2nd tier 1A team
Bourbon County- Yet to play a team with a pulse
Anderson County- Beat a decent 5A team, best win of the bunch a weak after losing to Boyle
Madison Southern- Idle
Tates Creek- Beat an awful 4A team

Anderson was the only team with a quality win and you all would have had a coronary if they were ranked #2 a week after losing to the team they would have jumped.
I respectfully disagree having seen both Mercer and Beechwood play. Beechwood > Mercer. And that's a fact jack.
oline Wrote:you tell me brother. You are the expert. I'm just a football fan stating an opinion.

OK I will...the answer is "No"..because wins don't always paint the picture of how good a team is.

In Franklin County's defense...their next game is a chance for at least a somewhat quality win. West Jessamine is not a good team by any means, but they certainly aren't a bad team.

Of all the teams I listed that are all vying for a ranking, do you see any team you do not think would be undefeated with Franklin's schedule?
oline Wrote:I respectfully disagree having seen both Mercer and Beechwood play. Beechwood > Mercer. And that's a fact jack.

Beechwood had played one quality opponent prior to Franklin and were crushed by Dixie Heights.

Beechwood is a very good 1A team, probably the #2 or #3 team in that class, but they are not on Mayfield's level and any of the teams mentioned above should have defeated the Tigers if they played. A good 3A, 4A, 5A, or 6A team should not ever beat a good 1A team by a single point with the exception of Mayfield (the most dominant 1A team) and that's a fact jack.
I agree with statement on West Jess. Hard to speculate on the rest. Some very intriguing Match ups out there though. Beechwood and Frankfort would give some of them problems.

Troll.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Also I clearly state that Boyle and LexCath did not have impressive wins..but none below them did enough to jump them or it would have happened

Boyle- Struggle against a bad 6A team
LexCath- Struggle against a bad 6A team
Henry Clay- struggle against a bad 6A team
Franklin County- Struggle with 2nd tier 1A team
Bourbon County- Yet to play a team with a pulse
Anderson County- Beat a decent 5A team, best win of the bunch a weak after losing to Boyle
Madison Southern- Idle
Tates Creek- Beat an awful 4A team

Anderson was the only team with a quality win and you all would have had a coronary if they were ranked #2 a week after losing to the team they would have jumped.

As a fan of Tates Creek. I agree with he assessment of who we beat, and why we haven't made the move forward in the power rankings. Our stretch of proving ourselves comes now. Games against Bryan Station, Dixie Heights and district play will define how good Creek is. I think these make as much sense as any. Why do folks get so bent out of shape about these rankings. Thought went into it and there is rationale behind it.
EKU, the rankings look fine. The haters are going to hate and that's just that. If you dropped Boyle County this week I would have not complained because there are several more games to go for the Rebels to show themselves. However, I don't see them dropping unless they lose to Catholic.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I post these so you guys can discuss an area on here that doesn't have a lot of following... share with us your Top 5 and reasoning. I think everyone would love to hear more.

Scott Co. - Obviously

Catholic - blown out by two teams better than Scott Co. and I think we can all agree anyone on this list would be blown out by Scott Co. - 3 wins versus decent 6a opponents ( I dont care what you say, MC is heads and shoulders better than GRC) - beaten Boyle in last 4 meetings

Henry Clay - Beat the same GRC team leading Boyle at half 50-0. Also with win against a quality 6a Tates creek.

Tates Creek/Boyle/Franklin/Bourbon/Madison Southern - Not sure you can separate these 5 for 4th and 5th spot.

Boyle - A good team that has done nothing wrong, but you are counting Anderson as a quality win, and Anderson has beaten nobody. If made to chose they would probably be 5th

Franklin - Another good team, who has done nothing wrong and who also dominated a 6a team that is better than GRC, but struggled against a slightly above average 1a team - If made to chose now I would have them tied with MS at 6th.

Bourbon - Has beyond domintated their schedule, but to your point not played anyone with a pulse. I will say they dominated a Montgomery County team that also dominated that same GRC team. This team could be as good as 2nd or as bad as 8th, if made to chose right now I would say 8th. Anderson v. Montgomery should shed some light about Bourbon and Boyle.

Tates Creek - They would probably be 4th on my list, because their only loss was a close game to Henry Clay which I rank 3rd.

Madison Southern - Dominated who they should have and beat 2 decent 6 a teams - If made to chose I would have them 6th right there with Boyle

1. Scott Co.
2. Catholic
3. HC
4. TC
5. Boyle
6. MS/Franklin
7. Bourbon County

With 4-7 being pretty interchangeable.
UNDECIDED Wrote:As a fan of Tates Creek. I agree with he assessment of who we beat, and why we haven't made the move forward in the power rankings. Our stretch of proving ourselves comes now. Games against Bryan Station, Dixie Heights and district play will define how good Creek is. I think these make as much sense as any. Why do folks get so bent out of shape about these rankings. Thought went into it and there is rationale behind it.

If only we could get the trolls on the same page.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Scott Co. - Obviously

Catholic - blown out by two teams better than Scott Co. and I think we can all agree anyone on this list would be blown out by Scott Co. - 3 wins versus decent 6a opponents ( I dont care what you say, MC is heads and shoulders better than GRC) - beaten Boyle in last 4 meetings

Henry Clay - Beat the same GRC team leading Boyle at half 50-0. Also with win against a quality 6a Tates creek.

Tates Creek/Boyle/Franklin/Bourbon/Madison Southern - Not sure you can separate these 5 for 4th and 5th spot.

Boyle - A good team that has done nothing wrong, but you are counting Anderson as a quality win, and Anderson has beaten nobody. If made to chose they would probably be 5th

Franklin - Another good team, who has done nothing wrong and who also dominated a 6a team that is better than GRC, but struggled against a slightly above average 1a team - If made to chose now I would have them tied with MS at 6th.

Bourbon - Has beyond domintated their schedule, but to your point not played anyone with a pulse. I will say they dominated a Montgomery County team that also dominated that same GRC team. This team could be as good as 2nd or as bad as 8th, if made to chose right now I would say 8th. Anderson v. Montgomery should shed some light about Bourbon and Boyle.

Tates Creek - They would probably be 4th on my list, because their only loss was a close game to Henry Clay which I rank 3rd.

Madison Southern - Dominated who they should have and beat 2 decent 6 a teams - If made to chose I would have them 6th right there with Boyle

1. Scott Co.
2. Catholic
3. HC
4. TC
5. Boyle
6. MS/Franklin
7. Bourbon County

Yes I think Anderson is the 8th best team.

1. Scott Co.
2. Catholic
3. HC
4. TC
5. Boyle
6. MS/Franklin
7. Bourbon County

You can tell you are a Boyle County hater when you compare Boyle County to every team.
Didn't Boyle County handle Tates Creek in their scrimmage? Use the excuse that it is a scrimmage. No team goes into a scrimmage to lose. Especially to Boyle County.
BoyleCounty Wrote:Troll.

I can be a Troll all you want, I think when the mustard is cut, you are just a Homer looking through those black and gold glasses.

I have nothing against Boyle have a really good friend that helped lead them to their 2009-2010 state championships. I guess you could actually call me a semi-fan. The fact is they aren't as good right now as you think they are...

1. Scott Co.
2. Catholic
3. HC
4. TC
5. Boyle
6. MS/Franklin
7. Bourbon County

Well thought out post, but it simply stands to reason that the points you made and the points I make all fall on the same thing. Right now from spots 2-8 the difference in these teams is negligible and there are not enough quality wins to give a definitive ranking one way or the other. I gave my logic and reasoning you gave yours..but both are based off inferences and "who beat who that beat who that beat who".

I was actually listening to talk radio on my way to lunch and they were comparing the perception of UGA's "ugly" win vs. North Texas and Alabama's "ugly" win vs. Colorado State. UGA won by a similar margin, to a more veteran team, in a game that they gave up 2 Special teams TD's.. yet the perception was that UGA's win was weaker than Alabama's.

The best reasoning I heard why is because UGA is UGA, and Alabama is Alabama. Not a conspiracy, as much as it is clout. Alabama has clout to backup an ugly win..they have the titles..they have the post-season success, they have the talent everyone knows is on their roster. UGA hasn't won a Title in 20 years, has a history of choking games they shouldn't, and a history of not meeting expectations by season's end.

In some way I think this is fitting here, at least in my perspective of what separates these teams with their resumes right now as they stand. Boyle and LexCath has the pedigree.. they have the hardware.. they have the post season success like last year where they wax "trendy" teams with better records. Franklin County and Henry Clay has a history of gaudy regular season records and unsuccessful playoff runs, Tates Creek and Bourbon are programs rising from years of mediocrity , Madison Southern is looking like one of those "trendy" teams Boyle and LexCath have beaten, and Anderson County surprisingly has had decent post-season success.

I have no allegiance to any CKY team, I am looking at this completely unbiased in terms of loyalty and who I follow the most.. but with that said I will admit there has to be some bias given based off of past success and to be honest I think that is a fair point until proven otherwise.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:I can be a Troll all you want, I think when the mustard is cut, you are just a Homer looking through those black and gold glasses.

I have nothing against Boyle have a really good friend that helped lead them to their 2009-2010 state championships. I guess you could actually call me a semi-fan. The fact is they aren't as good right now as you think they are...

A homer based on what? Disagreeing with you? I disagreed with your ranking as a whole, not only Boyle County. You have Anderson County at 8th for crying out loud. You honestly believes Tates Creek in better than Boyle County? Come on. You are also the same person who said St. Xavier is better than Trinity this year, because they are 1-3? The list goes on.
On a side note I actually enjoy the dialogue here and the criticism/agreement. There has been some good football and some historically strong programs in this region, as well as a handful of programs on the rise right now, but not a lot of discussion about those teams other than the customary stats and comments following the Friday night Scoreboard.

The entire reason I do these is to get some more in depth discussion going and try to bring out more information about teams who by and large don't have a massive presence on the message boards.

Truth be told one of the reasons I even started doing these was Garrard County in 2011 who did not match the team they were on film and did not receive nearly the credit they deserved that season. Aside form maybe one or two GC posters and the couple Boyle County fans who had seen them they were basically a mystery to everyone else.
Honestly. I do think Boyle County is top 3 team in a down CKY this year. I believe that Boyle County is down this year due to their young team but I still look for them to make it to Highlands in the state semi's. I believe that both Boyle County and Lexington Catholic is down compared to their standards. But a down Boyle County/Lexington Catholic is better than any of the other CKY teams, excluding Scott County. Disagree with me if you will. Call me biased because of my mame if you will. But most will agree with me.
BoyleCounty Wrote:Didn't Boyle County handle Tates Creek in their scrimmage? Use the excuse that it is a scrimmage. No team goes into a scrimmage to lose. Especially to Boyle County.

Boyle County is a good team. I was at the scrimmage against Creek. Tates Creek would beat Boyle in my opinion in a real game. Creek held out 2 of its offensive stars and rotated QBs on purpose as well. Was tied 14-14 at the half when starters were playing, and a penalty at the half is the reason Boyle scored to tie it. Both teams competed and both teams played hard with Boyle winning a 3 point scrimmage in which Creek could have thrown for 300+ yards if it really wanted to, and could have exploited the Boyle secondary if it wanted to. But I digress. Boyle deserves credit for its season thus far, but please temper the hyperbole in regards to Creek.
Boyle County would get a running clock against Scott County. Not even close. Seriously.....The talent is so vastly different that its not worth discussing. CKY Football is not down this year....again, poor assessment. Lex Cath is a very solid team. Lost to Bowling Green and St. X, 2 of the top 3-4 Teams in the state. Boyle County is a solid team, undefeated and handling business. Henry Clay is a solid team with all types of firepower, undefeated but now hitting their challenging portion of their schedule. Scott County is 1 of the best teams in KY in any Class and will challenge for a State Title and a MR Football Front runner. Bryan Station has lost to Highlands and Lex Cath and destroyed 2 teams, and is a very good football team. Tates Creek is 4-1 and legitamate. Lost to Henry Clay by 1 score in a dog fight, has 1 of 6As top producing QBs and 2 of the Top 15 WRs and a top 10 defense.

CKY Football is strong this year compared to years past. If you look at all the losses from the teams above you see losses to
Bowling Green
St. X
Highlands
Lex Cath
Henry Clay

Thats a tough group to play and most if not all teams would lose to these teams regardless of class.

1. Scott Co.
2. Catholic
3. HC
4. TC
5. Boyle
6. MS/Franklin
7. Bourbon County

A very good assessment and one that I agree with. IMO this is how I would rank the CKY Teams as of today from what I have seen.....
BoyleCounty Wrote:A homer based on what? Disagreeing with you? I disagreed with your ranking as a whole, not only Boyle County. You have Anderson County at 8th for crying out loud. You honestly believes Tates Creek in better than Boyle County? Come on. You are also the same person who said St. Xavier is better than Trinity this year, because they are 1-3? The list goes on.

Im a troll based on what? Disagreeing with you?

I believe Anderson is 8th, they have 0 good wins and a loss to my 5th place team.

I believe Tates Creek and Boyle would be a very good game, giving the edge to Tates Creek in the end. I dont see what is so wrong with that?? This isn't the 2007 TC team, this team is an average to above average 6a team.

I am also the person who thinks St. X is better than Trinity this year you are correct. I don't see anything far fetched about that, I actually believe that to be a pretty popular opinion around Louisville.