Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 36 Harlan Co. 14
I heard Harlan County is having some internal issues and not getting a long well. I'm shocked they aren't better than this. That being said they still have the talent to be a 5A top team
Granny Bear Wrote:I agree! I was thrilled to pick up Belfry and JC this year. But we have to make the games competitive; we have to show up to play.

So for us; we gotta figure out where we are going, and how much it means, if anything, to our team.

Less two way players, more speed training, better special teams.

When Bell County was crowing about their King of the Mountains nonsense there was a reason Belfry and JC fans were quoting Lee Corso with a "not so fast my friend". Belfry and JC have evolved their programs the last few years in an attempt to match other state powerhouses (Central and Highlands). The end result is depth and platooning, a higher emphasis on the Middle School Program, and a ton more work in the off-season on improving team speed.

There is no surprise that Belfry has the best punter in EKY and JC has the best place kicker (and once he graduates Belfry will have the best place kicker for a year). They have learned that losing the field position battle against elite programs or leaving points off the board will get you beat.
Harlan county will be ok u got to think u can not run the ball on a runing team . H c needs to work on the pass game cole was wide open on the one attempt and was over thrown never tried to go back to him . Need to put in a couple little short pass plays keeps deff from stacking the box . I told u all before the game mattney found a week spot and it was straight up the gut . Little work better ball controll h c be ok jc done some bad things to to block field goals attempts couple miss tackles so both teams take something from this game .
Granny Bear Wrote:Well, do-double-gg is a straight shooter and kinda serious. He was bent over laughing at this one guy who kept coming back with a smile, and asking me what I wanted. I simply told him I needed to see his chest. Eagles had already put me in a deep shocking depression, so I was vulnerable.

Seger, I have a corner in my home that I keep "special" things...things that really mean something to me. I have my grandmother's old pedal sewing machine there, some old glass milk bottles that my daddy used to deliver, ceramic Christmas tree that my sister in law made and finished a month before she passed at 48 years....you get the picture. You know what's going above that sewing machine on my wall, don't you. That was the nicest and most thoughtful thing, in the world, that you did. I want to publicly thank you for it. I plan to post a picture of that just as soon as my grandchildren show me how to upload it. I will post in here, on BGR.
Granny, I am probably more tickled that you liked it, than you are tickled to have it.....:Thumbs:
I have heard from several people that there is no discipline being given out to certain players on this Harlan team. And that a couple of these players have even cussed out the head coach and defensive coordinator with no punishment. Lack of discipline will kill a season for a team.
That was a painful 1st quarter to watch!!! We have to regroup and get ready for next week. Probably will be the best team we play in Greenville TN.
Harlan Co. has some monster sized players, but they didn't seem to be 'nimble'. And HC seemed to have been wore down mid 2nd qtr.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Harlan Co. has some monster sized players, but they didn't seem to be 'nimble'. And HC seemed to have been wore down mid 2nd qtr.

I consider myself a Harlan County fan from afar, but they had to be totally demoralized by the time the scoreboard showed 36-0. That's why I said JC (Matney) had his foot on their throat at that time and backed off and just let the clock play out. When you get totally thrashed like that and nothing seems to work for you, you're at the mercy of your foe. You lose all your confidence in yourself and at that point, you're done. It's untelling how many points JC could have scored if they had wanted to keep up the pressure.

I'm still a Harlan County fan and have great respect for the team, the fans and the people of Harlan County and I'll continue to follow and root for them and now I'll definitely be watching Johnson Central too. Good Luck to both teams and their fans.
The difference in team speed was obvious. IMO, the game changed when the HC back was caught from behind on the first play of the game. The turnover followed on the JC 2 yard line and JC immediately went the length of the field for the TD. From there it was all downhill for HC...they just never recovered.
khsgamenight Wrote:The difference in team speed was obvious. IMO, the game changed when the HC back was caught from behind on the first play of the game. The turnover followed on the JC 2 yard line and JC immediately went the length of the field for the TD. From there it was all downhill for HC...they just never recovered.

Bryce Workman made a great hustle play to catch the back by the ankles. Otherwise it's probably 8-0 HC with the momentum, and who knows what happens from there? Hustle plays change games.
Diogenes Wrote:Bryce Workman made a great hustle play to catch the back by the ankles. Otherwise it's probably 8-0 HC with the momentum, and who knows what happens from there? Hustle plays change games.

I agree. That and JC's 97 or 98 yd TD immediately following this had to take a lot of wind out of HC's sails. And it just got worse for them.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Harlan Co. has some monster sized players, but they didn't seem to be 'nimble'. And HC seemed to have been wore down mid 2nd qtr.

That wasn't physical it was mental!
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:I agree. That and JC's 97 or 98 yd TD immediately following this had to take a lot of wind out of HC's sails. And it just got worse for them.

Yes MHSF, Belcher is the real deal. Ward the lb is also!! Jc is damn good,but they have to get over the hump!! (NK) Why is their not more media attenttion on those KIDS!! NOT JUST those but 13,10, 1 . 2, 64, 8. I don't understand , get on line and read the state news papers and none of them our mentioned. What is that about!! Come on guys promote your kids! Ward on defence was a monster and belcher on offence!! You guys have have a lot of talent get it out there!!
Offense.
Defense.
Just meant to reply! Not Quote. Hope my spelling is ok, keyboard going bad!!
I just want to say that I had a good time in Paintsville last night and I would hook up with Grannybear under the bleachers any time she wanted, if I wasn't married:wink: It was also nice to meet Bob Seger and I was told the Pulp Fiction was there somewhere, but I never got to see him. I also met some other nice people from Johnson and Harlan who some were also BGR members, but I can't remember the names. As far as the game goes, I look at it like this and I hope I don't upset any people from Harlan County. Harlan was big size wise and numbers. They had fast players all over the field and that Oline made the JC defense look little so the team as a whole definitely would pass anyones eye test. Something with this team is wrong or missing and you can feel it and see it. When I went home I was left with a feeling that this team should be much better then what they are doing. Some people were bringing up the turnovers and they are bad when playing a good team like JC, but I think that if you take away all the turnovers this game is still
36-0 at the half. JC out played HC IN every aspect of the game IMO. Even when Harlan county did keep the ball off the ground as big and strong as that Oline was the JC defenders were gashing that line and hitting the HC players in the backfield. A few people have hinted that HC might have some internal problems and if that is so then it would explain a lot. As far as JC goes I think this team is as good as it gets in the Mountains. They have good size on the Oline and the defense ain't small(even though they looked like it lined up with HC's oline) but they have very good speed to get in the backfield and to seal the edges against speedy backs. They have a better pass game then some might think, if they ever open it up a little and a kid with some pretty good speed to catch it, because I know he out ran some of the quickest players that HC had to offer. The JC run game is on another level and the kid #11 IMO is the best back in eastern Kentucky right now. If you look at the speed and talent that they have and then add on how well coached and disciplined they are then I think that Johnson Central is the best team in the Mountains and I think that if they were to play right now that they would beat Belfry but a lot could change by playoff time
Do-double-gg Wrote:I just want to say that I had a good time in Paintsville last night and I would hook up with Grannybear under the bleachers any time she wanted, if I wasn't married:wink: It was also nice to meet Bob Seger and I was told the Pulp Fiction was there somewhere, but I never got to see him. I also met some other nice people from Johnson and Harlan who some were also BGR members, but I can't remember the names. As far as the game goes, I look at it like this and I hope I don't upset any people from Harlan County. Harlan was big size wise and numbers. They had fast players all over the field and that Oline made the JC defense look little so the team as a whole definitely would pass anyones eye test. Something with this team is wrong or missing and you can feel it and see it. When I went home I was left with a feeling that this team should be much better then what they are doing. Some people were bringing up the turnovers and they are bad when playing a good team like JC, but I think that if you take away all the turnovers this game is still
36-0 at the half. JC out played HC IN every aspect of the game IMO. Even when Harlan county did keep the ball off the ground as big and strong as that Oline was the JC defenders were gashing that line and hitting the HC players in the backfield. A few people have hinted that HC might have some internal problems and if that is so then it would explain a lot. As far as JC goes I think this team is as good as it gets in the Mountains. They have good size on the Oline and the defense ain't small(even though they looked like it lined up with HC's oline) but they have very good speed to get in the backfield and to seal the edges against speedy backs. They have a better pass game then some might think, if they ever open it up a little and a kid with some pretty good speed to catch it, because I know he out ran some of the quickest players that HC had to offer. The JC run game is on another level and the kid #11 IMO is the best back in eastern Kentucky right now. If you look at the speed and talent that they have and then add on how well coached and disciplined they are then I think that Johnson Central is the best team in the Mountains and I think that if they were to play right now that they would beat Belfry but a lot could change by playoff time
I was on the chain crew.... the skinny guy that could hide behind the down marker and not be seen, lol.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I was on the chain crew.... the skinny guy that could hide behind the down marker and not be seen, lol.

OK
You told me you were doing the music!!!!
Granny Bear Wrote:You told me you were doing the music!!!!

My buddy actually does the music during the games.

Me and him get together during the week and create new or requested songs/sound clips.

I bought a music editing software program just for football games.

If he's not there, then I do the music.
When we get together and work on the songs/sound clips.... it's like watching an artist work on his masterpiece.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I just want to say that I had a good time in Paintsville last night and I would hook up with Grannybear under the bleachers any time she wanted, if I wasn't married:wink: It was also nice to meet Bob Seger and I was told the Pulp Fiction was there somewhere, but I never got to see him. I also met some other nice people from Johnson and Harlan who some were also BGR members, but I can't remember the names. As far as the game goes, I look at it like this and I hope I don't upset any people from Harlan County. Harlan was big size wise and numbers. They had fast players all over the field and that Oline made the JC defense look little so the team as a whole definitely would pass anyones eye test. Something with this team is wrong or missing and you can feel it and see it. When I went home I was left with a feeling that this team should be much better then what they are doing. Some people were bringing up the turnovers and they are bad when playing a good team like JC, but I think that if you take away all the turnovers this game is still

Do-double-gg.. You are right , JC is the the real deal! With a little work and they stay healthy. The sky is the limit. And for # 11 Maybe one of the top backs in the state. Maybe not the fastes but very strong, sees the field good and very strong and hard to tackle. Don't know his 40 but look like he was shot out of a cannon last night!!
dns Wrote:Do-double-gg.. You are right , JC is the the real deal! With a little work and they stay healthy. The sky is the limit. And for # 11 Maybe one of the top backs in the state. Maybe not the fastes but very strong, sees the field good and very strong and hard to tackle. Don't know his 40 but look like he was shot out of a cannon last night!!

He probably ain't got the best top end speed, but he has great 0 to 60.
I think he can get from his stance to the secondary as quick as any back you will see in the Mountains.
I was at the game!! Anyway, be careful talking abut how good the JC skill players are, the Belfry faithful get upset.
As we speak, UCONN is reminding me of JC last night! Wink
Cardinals ride Wrote:I was at the game!! Anyway, be careful talking abut how good the JC skill players are, the Belfry faithful get upset.

The truth is the truth!! Haven't seen them play have you?
Do-double-gg Wrote:Some people were bringing up the turnovers and they are bad when playing a good team like JC, but I think that if you take away all the turnovers this game is still
36-0 at the half. JC out played HC IN every aspect of the game IMO. Even when Harlan county did keep the ball off the ground as big and strong as that Oline was the JC defenders were gashing that line and hitting the HC players in the backfield.

Johnson Central is impressive and I agree they are the best team in the mountains at this point, but it's simply not true that Johnson Central dominated the line of scrimmage Friday.
Harlan County had 228 yards rushing (217 for Johnson Central) and averaged well over 5 yards per carry. They were tackled for a loss one time in 40 carries.
The turnovers turned the game into a rout. HCHS punted only twice and had 11 first downs compared to eight for Johnson Central.
:flame:
HDE Wrote:Johnson Central is impressive and I agree they are the best team in the mountains at this point, but it's simply not true that Johnson Central dominated the line of scrimmage Friday.
Harlan County had 228 yards rushing (217 for Johnson Central) and averaged well over 5 yards per carry. They were tackled for a loss one time in 40 carries.
The turnovers turned the game into a rout. HCHS punted only twice and had 11 first downs compared to eight for Johnson Central.

Stats can be deceiving. Your not going to get many first downs when your scoring on 3 plays. JC also chose to let up in the second half which obviously skewed the numbers. I'm betting most of HC numbers were racked up in the 4th quarter.
HDE Wrote:Johnson Central is impressive and I agree they are the best team in the mountains at this point, but it's simply not true that Johnson Central dominated the line of scrimmage Friday.

Well I guess we were at a different game because Johnson Central gashed the Harlan County Oline pretty much all the 1st half. The only good run Harlan had was the the big run in what I think was your 1st or 2nd play of the game. You had nothing close to 228 yards in the 1st 3 quarters. If you don't want to take my word for it I was on the Harlan County side of the field rooting for the Bears and a lot of the HC fans were saying the same thing. I know you love your team as I do mine but when we get dominated I say we got dominated and that is what Johnson Central did in the 1st half of that game. I saw HC players get stood up at the line and tackled for a loss quite a bit in this one. The reason for the 1st down thing is the fact that #11 for JC took it to the house all night at will.

Here's a stat for you. 36-0 with 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Moral victories will get you no where.
Harlan County has a good team. I would just put this one behind you and move on.
No moral victories.
Just game stats.

HCHS JCHS
First downs 11 8

Rushes-yards 40-228 25-217

Passing 0 80

Comp-Att-Int 0-2-0 1-3-0

Punts-Avg 2-52 1-33

Fumbles-Lost 5-4 0-0

Penalties-Yards 6-52 6-60

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—Harlan County, Whitehead 22-93, Massey 3-81, Wilson 5-29, Huff 2-11, Lewis 2-7, Chitwood 1-4, Bailey 5-3. Johnson Central, Belcher 10-158, Young 2-24, J. Gound 1-16, Z. Gound 4-10, Dillon 6-9, Workman 2-0.

PASSING—Harlan County, Bailey 0-2-0-0. Johnson Central, Z. Gound 1-3-0-80.

RECEIVING—Johnson Central, Adkins 1-80.