Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
85.42%
Pikeville
14.58%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville @ Belfry 9/20
Thoughts?
I think Belfry takes this one, pretty handily after the scare at Southwestern tonight. The good news is, Pikeville improves playing this one and I don't think they lose again until damn near time to eat some Turkey... might even screw around and end up in Bowling Green!
I wouldn't overlook a very talented Pikeville team. I expect a Belfry win in a game that might be closer than some think.
Not a good time for anyone to be playin BELFRY this week...after very poor execution as a team last night, Coach is gonna light into them boys at practice this week.....IMO Pikeville hasn't played anybody yet, and BELFRY is way more talented and Athletic than them...that being said, we got the Muddobbers out of our Airhorn and it will be used a bunch on Friday...Roll on Pirates
Pikeville by 4 touchdowns if they watch the Southwestern film.
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Not a good time for anyone to be playin BELFRY this week...after very poor execution as a team last night, Coach is gonna light into them boys at practice this week.....IMO Pikeville hasn't played anybody yet, and BELFRY is way more talented and Athletic than them...that being said, we got the Muddobbers out of our Airhorn and it will be used a bunch on Friday...Roll on Pirates
LOL, that sounds painful, did it hurt? Wink
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Not a good time for anyone to be playin BELFRY this week...after very poor execution as a team last night, Coach is gonna light into them boys at practice this week.....IMO Pikeville hasn't played anybody yet, and BELFRY is way more talented and Athletic than them...that being said, we got the Muddobbers out of our Airhorn and it will be used a bunch on Friday...Roll on Pirates

Should have just left them there and installed it on the Pikeville sideline right behind jetpilot..give him new meaning to the "agony of defeat" Wink
I would love to see 1a pikeville win this one for 1a but belfry will win with running clock TongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho
I dont see any running clock in Belfrys future. The defense has stayed on the field way to long, so the offense hasn't gotten that much time on the field. Unless we start scoring on the defensive side of the ball or learn to stop people and not wait till they fumble it away, aint no way a running clock will happen. Hard to get the ball back when you give up 6-8 yards every first down play.
Pikeville is good. Belfry is better. Belfry by 12.
proud44pirate it will be ok...This Belfry team is loaded...Did they give up a lot to the Warriors last night?....sure they did...but going on the road is a lot tougher and SW has a nice collection of talent...the missed tackles concerned me most...Belfry scores 38 with 2 fumbles and several punts...Belfry would have scored 60 if they needed to...I agree with you on the fact that the O needs reps...but the D is shuttling in so many people that this early in the year mistakes will be made. But the talent is there and depth is building each week.

As far as the Pikeville game... Pikeville should be able to make a good run in the playoffs..but this is not 1A...Bigger, stronger, faster, deeper, and more talented wins 99% of the time and Belfry is that versus Pikeville...Bad week to play the Pirates...42-14 Belfry.
Hey mods we need a poll on this one!!!
proud44pirate Wrote:I dont see any running clock in Belfrys future. The defense has stayed on the field way to long, so the offense hasn't gotten that much time on the field. Unless we start scoring on the defensive side of the ball or learn to stop people and not wait till they fumble it away, aint no way a running clock will happen. Hard to get the ball back when you give up 6-8 yards every first down play.

just maybe Belfry thought the game with Southwestern was a gimme and looking foward to Pikeville?even though that game hasnt been close the last 10 yrs..
Belfry 42
Pikeville 21

Belfry is still growing on defense and Pikeville will make some plays. That said Belfry will pound the ball right down the Panthers throat.
Belfry! But Pikeville will get better because of this game and run the table through the rest of their schedule! Belfry by three touchdowns.
Belfry needs a lot more than growing on defense. Change is needed in some spots. Was very disappointed with the rotation on defense last night.
Belfry will be fine. This coming Friday is a bad t
This coming Friday is a bad time to be playing Belfry. They are definitely better on the defensive side of the ball than what they showed this past Friday.
Iredata90 Wrote:Belfry! But Pikeville will get better because of this game and run the table through the rest of their schedule! Belfry by three touchdowns.

I don't know about all that. Middlesboro has a good team and Russell is getting better each week. I can't wait to see Pikeville play Fairview or Raceland and then we will see who Pikeville is. I hope you do win out and beat Fairview and Raceland because I think mountain football is better with Pikeville being competitive every year, but I don't think this is the year that Pikeville goes all they way, but I think they are on the right track.
proud44pirate Wrote:Belfry needs a lot more than growing on defense. Change is needed in some spots. Was very disappointed with the rotation on defense last night.
Luckily we have a coaching staff that sees the big picture about 2 months down the road. Only thing Belfry needs is reps and lots of them. Hopefully the kids will work hard, trust their coaches, and keep getting better. They will be fine, give them time to grow.
proud44pirate Wrote:Belfry needs a lot more than growing on defense. Change is needed in some spots. Was very disappointed with the rotation on defense last night.

What problems with the rotation did you see? Just wondering...the biggest problems I saw was the lack of tackling, mediocre LB play, and the reluctance to run to the ball and make a play.
When you have kids standing on the sideline and knows how to get things done on the defensive side of the ball, you won't get any better. Just sayn' the coaches need to put more faith in some of those kids!
SW is better than most give them credit for. Any team that does not play well against the Warriors will have their hands full.
Belfry 46 Pikeville 12.
Who are the kids you think should be on the field that arn't on Friday nights? Do you think some of the freshman are undeserving of their playing time? I'm no coach but the freshman who are playing on Friday nights should be on the field if you ask me. They're that good. But they need to not get big heads because they are playing over juniors and seniors because if they do then they won't be on the field on Friday nights much longer.
This will be the first team Pikeville has played they cannot physically wear down like they have everyone else. However, if Pikeville can use Belfry's game plan, which is running the ball every down, they might be able to shorten the game enough to give them a chance but thats a big if. As for Pikeville making it to Bowling Green, you'll know where they stand after Hazard and Fairview play this coming weekend. Also, Pikeville will have to adjust quite a bit for Hazard, a blind man could have seen the mismatches Hazard had on the Panthers and never took advantage of even though Pikeville should've beat them by at least 3 touchdowns.
Belfry was coming off an emotional win against Harlan Co. Belfry will be perfectly fine. I truly believe Belfry will bring home the hardware this year. Good luck to the Pirates for the rest of the year!
Yep bear claw, I see Belfry being in Bowling Green this year. But first things first; and the next thing the Pirates need to worry about is Pikeville.

That said, the Pirates will be fiesty this week after their coaches have properly reamed them for arm tackling!!!

Belfry Pirates 43
Pikeville 21

Good luck Pirates.
Wish NO injuries to either team!!!
I agree with bball fan that Pikeville has to control tempo and be more like Belfry to have any chance. I am sure Pikeville would take some easy scores, but I do not think they want to get in a track meet at all. Eventually, the bullets in the gun run out if you rely only on big plays and Belfry can score as many as they need to. Pikeville has to make stops and not turn the ball over. If they do that, I would give them a puncher's chance.
Surely there is more debate than this for Belfry/Pikeville?..I know 12 straight for Belfry, but it at least used to be one of the biggest games around...I still think it's big, but it definitely has lost some of its luster.