Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten 1a games of the week 9-13-13
Well guys, we can start to see 1a across the state shaping up a little now. We have some really good 1a teams that may not have good records and we have some teams that look really good, but are playing marshmellow teams. That will make some of these games look like they shouldn't be listed but, it will pan out in the end. I am excited about another great week in high school football. So without further ado, here is my list for this week:

1) 2a Somerset #10 @ Hazard #7
Somerset was able to survive this one last year by a margin 17-9. I don't know about this year though, as the Jumpers do not seem to be the real deal this year. The Jumpers come into this one at 1-2 and have been outscored by a margin of 47-97. The dogs come into this one at 1-1 and have been outscored 76-83. These teams were very similar in their records last year as well. The Jumpers finished at 11-3 and the dogs at 10-4. The Jumpers have to play on the carpet this year and that may be the difference.

2) 5a Franklin Co #9 @ Frankfort #10
This is a rivalry game and anything goes in a game like that. Franklin Co simply outscored Frankfort in a defenseless game last year by a margin of 62-30 (where's the d). Franklin Co comes into this one with a perfect record again this year at 3-0. They have outscored their opponents 156-44. Frankfort comes in with a mark of 1-1 and has outscored their opponents by a margin of 32-29. These two teams records were very similar last year as well. Franklin Co finished at 12-1 and Frankfort at 11-2.

3) 3a Wayne Co #3 @ Williamsburg #6
This is a game in which the Jackets would really like to prove they belong. They better strap them on in this one. This game should tell us a lot about the Jackets. If you like scoring, be at this one. Wayne comes in at 3-0 and has outscored their opponents 122-36. Williamsburg comes in at 2-1 and their only loss came when they were wearing orange and standing in the sun. They have outscored their opponents 105-71. These two had similar records last year as well. Wayne finished at 10-2 and Williamsburg at 11-2.

4) 2a Murray #6 @ Mayfield #1
Mayfield took this one going away last year. The Tigers come into this game with a mark of 1-2 and have outscored their opponents 96-85. Their losses have been to a very good Bryan Station and a 5a Graves Co team that is 2-0. Mayfield comes in at 3-0 and has outscored their opponents 100-76. They have just survived in their last two games. Last year the Tigers finished at 10-3 loosing to eventual state runners up in Caldwell Co. The Cards finished last year as state champs at 14-1.

5) Paintsville #11 @ 2a Shelby Valley #19
Paintsville WOW, what a statement game last week in the last minute loss to power house Pikeville. Paintsville comes into this one with a mark of 2-1 and has outscored their opponents 97-74. Shelby comes in with a record of 1-1 and has been outscored 38-39. These two also finished with similar records last year. Paintsville finished at 2-9 and Shelby at 3-8.

6) Nicholas Co @ 3a Lewis Co
Nicholas won this one last year by a mark of 32-16. Nicholas comes into this one at 2-1 and have been outscored 66-67. Lewis comes in at 2-0 and have outscored their opponents 65-47. Nicholas finished 2012 at 7-5. Lewis finished at 4-7.

7) 2a Carroll Co @ Ky Country Day #8
Carroll won this one last year 39-29. They come into this one at 1-2 and have outscored their opponents 84-63. KCD comes in at 2-1 and have outscored their opponents 64-49. Carroll finished last year at 7-4. KCD finished at 11-2.

8) Bellevue #13 @ Fairview #5
This game here is a chance for Bellevue to show they belong in the discussions about the best teams in 1a. They come in at 1-2 and have outscored their opponents 86-55. Fairview appears to be on another role and comes in at 3-0. They have outscored their opponents 62-27. I am reminded of last year when Bellevue took Beechwood to the wire though. Bellevue finished 2012 at 7-5 and Fairview was the state runners up at 14-1.

9) 4a Pendleton Co @ Paris #16
Pendleton comes into this one at 1-2 and have been outscored 33-113. Paris comes in at 2-1 and have outscored their opponents 87-71. This is a chance for Paris to prove they can play with the big schools. Pendleton finished 2012 at 2-8. Paris finished at 6-6.

10) Harlan @ Lynn Camp
Harlan won this one last year 53-24. They come into this one at 0-2 and have been outscored 21-64. Lynn Camp comes in at 1-2 and have been outscored 57-110. Harlan finished 2012 at 6-6. Lynn Camp finished at 3-8.

Well here it is guys. Look it over and toss it around. Let me know what you think. I am looking forward to this week.
Jumpers have been very banged up losing their starting tail back Lange and tight end Gilmore (among others). Saying a team isn't "the real deal" is pretty tough considering the schedule they've played. It definitely doesn't let up Friday for them either...
I don't think that is too harsh of a statement there jumper. It is the truth though. They just don't appear to be what they have been in recent years. They may get it fixed at some point but for now they are not living up to the billing. Some times you gotta take off those purple and gold glasses and see what is real.

I also think Hazard will have their boys ready to use this as a statement game. Some of their owns fans have questioned their mental make up. I would therefore say the bunnies better strap up and be ready.
well we are ready for wayne its another night game have no ideal what color of jersey we will wear somekind of ORANGE will be a factor Confusedmoke:
mysonis55 Wrote:I don't think that is too harsh of a statement there jumper. It is the truth though. They just don't appear to be what they have been in recent years. They may get it fixed at some point but for now they are not living up to the billing. Some times you gotta take off those purple and gold glasses and see what is real.

I also think Hazard will have their boys ready to use this as a statement game. Some of their owns fans have questioned their mental make up. I would therefore say the bunnies better strap up and be ready.

We can take a look at the scrimmage with Hazard and Belfry a few weeks ago, Belfry dominated up front, Hazard wasn't even competitive in that scrimmage, whereas Somerset gives Belfry all they want for the better part of 3 quarters... SHS just has to finish drives and finish ball games. Now that SHS is playing competition their own size we may see a better representation of them as a team. As stated they are banged up as well. Not wearing purple/gold glasses, just calling it like I see it. They're a product of their own success... People expect lights out play from the onset and they're just not there (yet), but I think this group has more potential than the previous groups based on athleticism and skill. Time will tell.
Jumper, I thought you were one of those that posted that we couldn't look at the results of scrimmages.
That just jumper pride coming out :biglmao:Light at the end of the tunnel
mysonis55 Wrote:Jumper, I thought you were one of those that posted that we couldn't look at the results of scrimmages.

No I was not.
It's okay Jumper. Lighten up a little. I do have you guys with a winning regular season at 5-4. I think yall may even make it to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs. That isn't too bad. It just isn't what they were billed to be.
JumperPride1 Wrote:We can take a look at the scrimmage with Hazard and Belfry a few weeks ago, Belfry dominated up front, Hazard wasn't even competitive in that scrimmage, whereas Somerset gives Belfry all they want for the better part of 3 quarters... SHS just has to finish drives and finish ball games. Now that SHS is playing competition their own size we may see a better representation of them as a team. As stated they are banged up as well. Not wearing purple/gold glasses, just calling it like I see it. They're a product of their own success... People expect lights out play from the onset and they're just not there (yet), but I think this group has more potential than the previous groups based on athleticism and skill. Time will tell.

Counting the two 10 plays series for the varsity and the 2 quarters of game time Belfry scored 4 times and hazard score twice. Belfrys JV scored once and Hazards jv didn't.
I don't consider that too bad or shabby.
Hazard
Franklin Co (big)
Wayne Co (big)
Mayfield (big)
Paintsville
Nicholas Co ( I think)
Carroll Co ( I think)
Fairview ( closer than most think)
Paris
Harlan (I think)