Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campbell County 21 - Newport Catholic 20
An old county rivalry was renewed with a spit-shine and played at a new location Friday when the defending Class 2A state champion Newport Central Catholic football team invaded Class 6A Campbell County’s new digs in Alexandria.

The shiny stadium, complete with Cameltron video scoreboard, and the immaculate green turf field proved inhospitable for the Thoroughbreds, who were toppled by the Camels, 21-20.

It was the 38th meeting between the teams.

NewCath leads the series, 26-12.

NewCath and Campbell County, tied for eighth in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll, played things evenly throughout.

The Thoroughbreds (1-2) led 7-6 after one quarter but the Camels (2-1) tied it 14-all just before halftime.

Campbell County defeated the Thoroughbreds for the second year in a row and beat them for the third time in five games.

The Camels got back on the winning track after a road thumping administered last week by Highlands.

NewCath dropped its second straight.

PLAYS OF THE GAME: Quarterback Avery Wood scored on a 1-yard run with 7:30 to play in the game, completing a nine-play, 45-yard drive and helping putting the Camels ahead 21-14.

Wood carried for 43 of those yards.

NewCath scored on a 49-yard pass from Mac Franzen to Tommy Donnelly to make it 21-20 with 3:48 remaining, but the ’Breds missed the extra point.

Wood ran for a first down on fourth-and-1, allowing the Camels to maintain possession with 1:30 left to seal it.

FIRST-HALF HIGHLIGHTS: The Camels tied the score 14-all with 45.2 seconds left before halftime on Wood’s 10-yard rushing score and Josh Carroll’s two-point conversion run.

NewCath had taken the lead with 6:15 left before the break on Franzen’s 4-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Lyon and John Caudill’s extra-point kick.

The drive started at the Camels’ 45 after Lyon recovered a Campbell County fumbled punt return, the ’Breds 10th recovery in their first 10 quarters of play. The drive started at the Camels' 45 after Lyon recovered a Campbell County fumbled punt return, the 'Breds 10th recovery in their first 10 quarters of play. Lyon, the son of former NFL player and NewCath assistant coach Bill Lyon, also recovered a fumble in the first quarter after a botched Camels hand-off.

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/new...thread&f=8
The teams matched each other with 80-yard scoring drives in the opening quarter.

Wood’s 2-yard run made it 6-0 but his ensuing two-point conversion pass failed.

The drive was helped along by a 22-yard Wood completion to Jake Zabonick and a 21-yard run by Alex Howard.

NewCath scored on the next possession, capitalizing on a 33-yard run by Jacob Smith and scoring on an 8-yard run by Jack Sutkamp.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: Unofficially, Wood rushed for more than 100 yards and passed for 73. He ran for three touchdowns.

“I scored (the last touchdown) on a basic lead, and Brandon Morris led me to the end zone,” Wood said. “It’s good to get the win.”

VIEW FROM THE SIDELINE: “We honestly didn’t think they could stop our running game but they did stop our passing game,” Camels coach Stephen Lickert said of the NewCath defense.

EXTRA POINTS: NewCath’s Smith appeared to suffer a left leg injury on a ’Breds punt after their opening second-half drive.

He had to be helped off the field after rushing for 41 first-half yards but later returned to limited duty.

The Camels rolled 42-16 in last season’s meeting.

NewCath won 42-17 the previous year.

The last time they played a close one was in 2010 when the ’Breds pulled out a 26-23 win at Campbell County.

The Camels won 21-17 in 2009. ⬛

NewCath — 7 7 0 6 20
Campbell Co. — 6 8 0 7 21
C–Wood 2 run (pass failed)

N–Sutkamp 8 run (Caudill kick)

N–Lyon 4 pass from Franzen (Caudill kick)

C–Wood 10 run (Carroll run)

C–Wood 1 run (Knaley kick)

N–Donnelly 49 pass from Franzen (kick failed)

Records: N 1-2, C 2-1.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...309060235/
Nice win for the Camels.
Good win for the Camels. Thought they would cruise in this one.
I wouldn't look at this win as "good" or "nice". NCC had a couple of lineman get hurt the first half and didn't return. I know injury is a part of the game, but its easier to replace injury at the 6a level than the 2a level. Campbell is in for a long season with Dixie, SK and Ryle on the horizon. I liked Campbell at the beginning of the season but after watching them I think they go winless in district play. Look for a 6a team SK) from NKY in the finals this year.
"Cameltron" is an awesome word.

And those unis on that field are nice!
hop24 Wrote:Good win for the Camels. Thought they would cruise in this one.

Hop, Camels put up over 400 yards of offense and only gave up 150 (50+ given up on a busted play on NCC's last TD). Camels shot themselves in the foot trying to do things that they do not normally do. This game was not indicative of the score. It's also a rivalry game. There were more fans in the stands than there were for opening night, thus, these games can always go any way.

NCC lost their starting Center to a broken foot, that's the only lineman they lost. They did cramp up considerably, which is surprising due to the low humidity and temp. Not a single player cramped up in their first two games, thus that likely came from the additional mental exertion that both squads put into this game. I would say that you will have a relatively easy week next week, and that is not a knock on the young-men of NCC. They put a tremendous amount of effort into Fridays game, that its natural to have a letdown.
They lost their starting center and guard. One of the players also starts on defense at linebacker.
Stardust Wrote:Hop, Camels put up over 400 yards of offense and only gave up 150 (50+ given up on a busted play on NCC's last TD). Camels shot themselves in the foot trying to do things that they do not normally do. This game was not indicative of the score. It's also a rivalry game. There were more fans in the stands than there were for opening night, thus, these games can always go any way.

NCC lost their starting Center to a broken foot, that's the only lineman they lost. They did cramp up considerably, which is surprising due to the low humidity and temp. Not a single player cramped up in their first two games, thus that likely came from the additional mental exertion that both squads put into this game. I would say that you will have a relatively easy week next week, and that is not a knock on the young-men of NCC. They put a tremendous amount of effort into Fridays game, that its natural to have a letdown.

I just hope the Pioneers don't have a letdown as well. That was a wild one we played in Hebron last Friday.
Stardust Wrote:Hop, Camels put up over 400 yards of offense and only gave up 150 (50+ given up on a busted play on NCC's last TD). Camels shot themselves in the foot trying to do things that they do not normally do. This game was not indicative of the score. It's also a rivalry game. There were more fans in the stands than there were for opening night, thus, these games can always go any way.

I was told that the Camels had 4 turnovers (2 in the redzone) and the Breds had none. If that's true, it would go a long way in explaining the score not being indicative.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:They lost their starting center and guard. One of the players also starts on defense at linebacker.

That's not what I was told today. Looks like the only player not expected to play is the Center.
charlie22 Wrote:I was told that the Camels had 4 turnovers (2 in the redzone) and the Breds had none. If that's true, it would go a long way in explaining the score not being indicative.

That's exactly how it played out.

Lickert is doing everything he can to set the Camels program up like Highlands. He has been working really hard at being 2 deep, and by doing so, the Camels are making mistakes that comes with inexperienced Varsity players. By District, this team will be a very solid team.
hop24 Wrote:I just hope the Pioneers don't have a letdown as well. That was a wild one we played in Hebron last Friday.

That's a great point, it certainly could be expected that the Neers don't get off to a fast start, but I expect once they get rolling, this game will end quickly. The Breds just don't have the numbers to keep up with a really good 6A team.
Good win for Camels. Sounds like their new stadium is a showplace.
Stardust Wrote:That's exactly how it played out.

Lickert is doing everything he can to set the Camels program up like Highlands. He has been working really hard at being 2 deep, and by doing so, the Camels are making mistakes that comes with inexperienced Varsity players. By District, this team will be a very solid team.

:Thumbs: Liked what he did at Holmes and what he's doing with the Camels.
Stardust Wrote:That's not what I was told today. Looks like the only player not expected to play is the Center.

I guess we'll find out Friday. They might even be minus one more.