Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bourbon County at Breathitt County 9/6
Thrillex Wrote:I like Bourbon...but this Breathitt team could be a wildcard at this point, so who knows?

Also EKUAlum05 is one the most enjoyable posters on this forum, definitely knows his stuff. Kudos!

I agree with you 100%. I always enjoy EKUAlum05 post.

Strikeout King Wrote:Yes they are that good. They returned nearly everyone from a year ago that went 13-1 scoring 657 points and only giving up less than 200, including QB Dalton Pope who can launch it. I think Bourbon's only significant loss from last season was Hopkins.

I'll take Bourbon 45-29

That was a huge loss, but I still take Bourbon in this by 2-3 td's.
I would like to see Breathitt come away with the W but don't know if they got what it takes to beat Bourbon.

still going with Breathitt 21-14
Does anyone know if you can listen to this game streaming anywhere on the internet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Is this game on bourbon county radio?
Update?
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Bourbon 55-14
Breathitt County's defense has a ways to go. Their offense isn't good enough to win by outscoring their opponents every game. The next three weeks aren't going to be any easier for this team.
Anybody recall when Breathitt ever took such a beating? Five turnovers in the first half!!
The Belfry 62-28 Semi-Final and the loss to Lou. Central in the Finals were both really bad...but in terms of shear point spread this has to be way up there.

They took a real bad loss to LCA a few years ago as well, I think the year after the runner-up team.
In the Rec. Bowl in Mt. Sterling I think either in 99 or 2000 Boyle was able to clip them 69-8
Just FYI. If 2000, many believe that was the best Boyle Co. team ever.
This game could have been much worse, boco jv played 2nd possession of 3qtr on.

Breathitt definitely needs to improve in many areas, but i was impressed with the size of the interior line, who for the most part played a solid game.

I apologize for the "upset" comment earlier, i didnt think there was this much disparity between the two teams.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:This game could have been much worse, boco jv played 2nd possession of 3qtr on.

Breathitt definitely needs to improve in many areas, but i was impressed with the size of the interior line, who for the most part played a solid game.

I apologize for the "upset" comment earlier, i didnt think there was this much disparity between the two teams.

Breathitt will be back I hope.

The biggest knock on Holcomb , IMHO as an outsider, was that he would build toward that one single year. Almost like a slash and burn farmer. Breathittt would have one very Senior dominated team with a 3 year starter at QB, a Senior laden defense, and littered with 2-3 year starters across the board. Last year was that Breathitt team. Then it wa slike starting from scratch all over again when he would play a ton of young kids, take his lumps, and build toward that next Senior heavy team.

Holcomb also was never really one to load up on tough competition.It's not like he would play a bunch of scrub teams..but rarely would he take his better teams and schedule teams that they should be an underdog entering the game.It was almost like he prioritized confidence over improvement. It worked a couple times, it also was a handicap others.

This is not only the Breathitt team AFTER the team Holcomb built for 3 years, but this is a Breathitt team dealing with a tough draw that was out of their hands. When you lose your legendary HC, have the unrest at the school board that puts you a couple weeks behind schedule in terms of hiring your HC, and simply play a team as experienced as Bourbon one week after opening against one of the weakest teams in the State... this was pretty predictable.

I wish the Bobcats well, but this weeks game against Lawrence could be very telling. I have a strong suspicion that District 8 will have a re-match come the Regional Finals.

As for Bourbon...very, very good team who is the prohibitive favorite to get back to the Semi's... but much like Holcomb... their HC seems to share the similar approach to scheduling as the Colonels will not see any team on their schedule in the same hemisphere as Belfry. I thought that hurt them last year and was a bit surprised to see their schedule as weak as it is in the wake of what happened.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Breathitt will be back I hope.

The biggest knock on Holcomb , IMHO as an outsider, was that he would build toward that one single year. Almost like a slash and burn farmer. Breathittt would have one very Senior dominated team with a 3 year starter at QB, a Senior laden defense, and littered with 2-3 year starters across the board. Last year was that Breathitt team. Then it wa slike starting from scratch all over again when he would play a ton of young kids, take his lumps, and build toward that next Senior heavy team.

Holcomb also was never really one to load up on tough competition.It's not like he would play a bunch of scrub teams..but rarely would he take his better teams and schedule teams that they should be an underdog entering the game.It was almost like he prioritized confidence over improvement. It worked a couple times, it also was a handicap others.

This is not only the Breathitt team AFTER the team Holcomb built for 3 years, but this is a Breathitt team dealing with a tough draw that was out of their hands. When you lose your legendary HC, have the unrest at the school board that puts you a couple weeks behind schedule in terms of hiring your HC, and simply play a team as experienced as Bourbon one week after opening against one of the weakest teams in the State... this was pretty predictable.

I wish the Bobcats well, but this weeks game against Lawrence could be very telling. I have a strong suspicion that District 8 will have a re-match come the Regional Finals.

As for Bourbon...very, very good team who is the prohibitive favorite to get back to the Semi's... but much like Holcomb... their HC seems to share the similar approach to scheduling as the Colonels will not see any team on their schedule in the same hemisphere as Belfry. I thought that hurt them last year and was a bit surprised to see their schedule as weak as it is in the wake of what happened.

I couldn't agree more with the scheduling. It really hurt that Madison Southern wouldn't renew the series, as I thought this would really help Bourbon see a good running attack. There were also whispers of a Boyle Co. game given the coaching connections, but I believe both coaches decided to stay away from one another. I think Hodge had good intentions with scheduling Breathitt before Holcomb decided to leave, just don't think he knew they would be so down this year. As an alum I would like to see the colonels play one or two central kentucky foes that they are an underdog to, because in the end, Belfry will always be in their way to state. This may be the last shot for a couple of years as Bourbon loses Pope, Johnson, Highlander, and most of the O-line next year.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:I couldn't agree more with the scheduling. It really hurt that Madison Southern wouldn't renew the series, as I thought this would really help Bourbon see a good running attack. There were also whispers of a Boyle Co. game given the coaching connections, but I believe both coaches decided to stay away from one another. I think Hodge had good intentions with scheduling Breathitt before Holcomb decided to leave, just don't think he knew they would be so down this year. As an alum I would like to see the colonels play one or two central kentucky foes that they are an underdog to, because in the end, Belfry will always be in their way to state. This may be the last shot for a couple of years as Bourbon loses Pope, Johnson, Highlander, and most of the O-line next year.

Hindsight being 20/20... BoCo would have benefited exponentially scheduling Johnson Central this past week instead of Breathitt. JCHS was begging for someone to play them and had to play a team of homeschoolers from Indianapolis last week. That would have been a phenomenal upgrade for Bourbon and also allowed them to take on probably the closest power team you will find to Belfry.. even coached by a Belfry Alum. You cant fault BC's coach too much as Breathitt was a combined 24-2 the previous two years, and a game between those tow last year IMHO would have been a toss-up, but most people who follow 3A football closely knew the bobcats were going to be down this year in a big way.

If Bourbon still had Madison Southern, added Johnson Central, and maybe exchanged one of their first 2 weeks matchups with a team like Tates Creek or Henry Clay then they would be cooking with peanut oil.. as it stands now, Belfry will have faced potentially 5 or 6 teams better than BoCo's stiffest opponent by the end of the regular season.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Hindsight being 20/20... BoCo would have benefited exponentially scheduling Johnson Central this past week instead of Breathitt. JCHS was begging for someone to play them and had to play a team of homeschoolers from Indianapolis last week. That would have been a phenomenal upgrade for Bourbon and also allowed them to take on probably the closest power team you will find to Belfry.. even coached by a Belfry Alum. You cant fault BC's coach too much as Breathitt was a combined 24-2 the previous two years, and a game between those tow last year IMHO would have been a toss-up, but most people who follow 3A football closely knew the bobcats were going to be down this year in a big way.

If Bourbon still had Madison Southern, added Johnson Central, and maybe exchanged one of their first 2 weeks matchups with a team like Tates Creek or Henry Clay then they would be cooking with peanut oil.. as it stands now, Belfry will have faced potentially 5 or 6 teams better than BoCo's stiffest opponent by the end of the regular season.

Agree 100%.
This one was tough to watch.Bourbon is very talented, well coached team. I hope coach Moore will make some adjustments going forward..Breathitt is not as bad as looked Friday night..You wont win many football games when you turn the ball over 7 times...
Turnovers are part of the game and not taking away from Bourbon at all because they are a good team but they captalized on all Breathitt's turnovers.They got 42 points from that.The score didn't reflect the quality of the teams.I think the next time they meet will be a MUCH different score.They matched up equally IMO.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:Turnovers are part of the game and not taking away from Bourbon at all because they are a good team but they captalized on all Breathitt's turnovers.They got 42 points from that.The score didn't reflect the quality of the teams.I think the next time they meet will be a MUCH different score.They matched up equally IMO.

There is no way these teams matched up equally. I agree, the bobcats aren't as bad as the score indicated, but Bourbon County is easily a 3td better team right now. If these teams were to meet later on in the season, and I highly doubt that will happen, I can see this game being much more competitive. The bobcats just don't have the experience right now, and it was evident with the seven turnovers. Bourbon is a veteran team, and veteran teams capitalize off of turnovers, in which they did. I feel like Breathitt has the potential to be a good team by the end of the year, but right now they are no where close to being able to compete with Bourbon and Belfry. The bobcats have a long way to go, but I believe Coach Moore will get them to where they need to be.
As stated before the score doesn't really give justice to the game. Breathitt turned the ball over five times during the time I was at the game( First qt-halway through the third qt). On four(I think) of the turnovers Bourbon scored off of which I give them credit for doing, but Breathitt simply shot themselves in the foot. After Bourbon went up with the inital quick score 7-0, Breathitt marched down the field and got within ten yards of scoring. White threw a bad ball and it was returned by Bourbon to about the five, leading to a score a play later. 14-0 at this point. Then Breathitt marched down the field again and made it 14-6. After that series Breathitt started playing some ball and stopped Bourbon and actually got the momentum, but killed it with a turnover leading to another easy Bourbon score. 21-6 at this point. Breathitt had the chance to score again before the half and make it 12(13)(14)-21 at the half and then get the ball back starting the second half, but yet again turned the ball over. I'm not trying to take away from Bourbon, but simply put Breathitt beat themselves in this game. I look for coach Moore to fix these simple turnover mistakes and have the Bobcats ready to play. This is just the fist season of the year(regular season), sure it matters, but we are preparing for the second season(Playoffs) and I'm sure we will be in fine shape by then.
I think with Bourbon though you gotta remember less than 6-7 years ago?Bourbon was in the midst of a 30+ game losing streak, the program was below rock bottom. For them to be where they're at right now is kind of unheard of regardless of who they schedule. Outside Lexington, Bourbons goal should be to dominate their region first, as the other powers of 3A do, then move on to other areas of the state. Bourbon has a very good feeder program in the MS, where they compete for championships. We've seen it in 1997, there are players in the county and the coaches have done a good job getting them to come out and play. I do agree both Johnson Central and Bourbon should of played this year, would of been more beneficial for both teams.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:Turnovers are part of the game and not taking away from Bourbon at all because they are a good team but they captalized on all Breathitt's turnovers.They got 42 points from that.The score didn't reflect the quality of the teams.I think the next time they meet will be a MUCH different score.They matched up equally IMO.

I see that you are a Breathitt fan, but you can't be serious when you say they matched up equally.

It was evident from the start that Bourbon was too fast (which we all knew) and much more physical (which was surprising). None of Bourbon's touchdown drives were longer than 6 plays, they basically scored at will.

If this game was played 10 more times you would have the same results 10 more times. When your coach would rather give the team the ball at the 40 on the opening kick off than kick it to the second or 3rd line, they know they are crawling up hill from the start.
turnovers.....enough said.