Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12th Region Preview
What are your predictions for this region this season? Who are the top teams and players?
I think Southwestern, Wayne, West Jess, and Mercer will all be good. I am gonna take Southwestern getting back to Rupp.
I agree with Southwestern. Boyle will make some noise this year watch and see.
Who did all does Southwestern bring back besides Kapinga and Edwards?
Any truth to the rumor that Kapinga was sent back to Canada since his Visa expired?
Any news on kapinga?
Kapinga left as with the kid that came from North Laurel who went to South Laurel.
who was the kid that when to south I thought he when to Jackson county.
Isiah Collier and he went to Jackson County. And Kapinga is now at St. Louis Christian, so they've lost 2 of their top 3. They return one of the top players in the region in Edwards. Here's Bluegrass Basketball's team and player rankings for the 12th (obviously prior to Kapinga leaving). Using this ranking, that would probably drop SW to below West Jessamine IMO.

12th Region

1. Wayne County
2. Southwestern
3. Boyle County
4. Mercer County
5. Lincoln County
6. West Jessamine
7. Somerset
8. Pulaski County
9. East Jessamine
10. Garrard County
11. Rockcastle County
12. Casey County
13. Danville
14. McCreary Central
15. Burgin
16. Kentucky School for the Deaf

1. Justin Edwards Southwestern
2. David Kapinga Southwestern
3. Peyton Woods Wayne County
4. Ronnie Carson East Jessamine
5. Corey Stearns Wayne County
6. Hagen Tyler Boyle County
7. Daulton Peters West Jessamine
8. Will Hager Mercer County
9. Russell Sims Mercer County
10. Austin Sebastian Garrard County
11. Trey Blevins Wayne County
12. Jacob Conway Lincoln County
13. Ryan Dishman Somerset
14. Timmy Taylor Lincoln County
15. Will Henderson West Jessamine
16. Blake Burton Pulaski County
Still sticking with those 2 picks? Southwest has now lost 2 of their top 3 players to transfers (Kapinga and Collier). And I'm curious as to why you think Boyle will make some noise. I believe I'm right in saying they're only returning one starter off a team that lost in the first round of the region last year. I'm not saying they won't be good, but why would you pick them to make some noise as opposed to several of the other teams in the region?
If you look at the Bluegrass Basketball ratings, I think Lincoln and West Jessamine should be 3 & 4 with Boyle and Mercer vying for 5th. Actually, with the news about SW, I think that drops them to 6th (just before Somerset), so move the teams I've mentioned up a spot. I think Boyle and Mercer appear to be a bit overrated based on what they are returning. They each have players capable of being in the top 5 in the region (Mercer - Hager & Boyle - Tyler), but each team has a lot of questions marks after that.
I think Boyle is over rated.
SW might be the worst team in the County without the imports.
I really like Wayne County to come out of the 12th this season.
Everyone is chasing Wayne
Agreed. They return the majority of last year's team that won the 12th, so they have to be favored. But, this isn't a favored along the lines of Ballard in their region in that there's very little difference between them and 4 to 5 other teams in that region. They really overachieved last year and I attribute that to coaching (which is still in place).
Wayne co seems to always do better than expected so I would have to say there my pick to come out of the 12th.
Since Southwestern has lost two big pieces who else is gonna be really good in this region?
From a publication:
1. Wayne County
2. Southwestern
3. Boyle County
4. Mercer County
5. Lincoln County
6. West Jessamine

I'd drop SW to 6th and leave Wayne at 1. I think the other 4 teams compete for 2nd, and it wouldn't surprise me if any of those top 5 win the region this year. Lot of parity.
Top team; Wayne County Top player; Justin Edwards

1.Wayne
2.Boyle
3.West Jessamine
4.Lincoln
5.Southwestern
6.Mercer
E's Army Wrote:SW might be the worst team in the County without the imports.

Southwestern will still fare better than PC. Even though Kapinga at point will be hard to replace, Collier wasn't much of a factor on offense or defense. I think Johnson and Gover were losses PC won't be able to get over since they were both top scorers. Somerset should have the upper hand this season. Who did they lose besides the McCreary transfer? Was the Weddle kid a senior?
better not sleep on lincoln but I agree wayne will be tough to handle for several years. Sw, somerset and pc have a nice young bunch coming up. Sw always had the upper hand in middle school but that dont always translate to high school. There will be some transfers that play into that alot
[quote=Bean Counter]Southwestern will still fare better than PC. Even though Kapinga at point will be hard to replace, Collier wasn't much of a factor on offense or defense. I think Johnson and Gover were losses PC won't be able to get over since they were both top scorers. Somerset should have the upper hand this season. Who did they lose besides the McCreary transfer? Was the Weddle kid a senior?[/QUOTE Southwestern will fare better than Pulaski. Wright could take middle school kids and beat Pulaski at tourney time. Then again anyone could.
Pulaski is a sleeper this season. Hard to replace a great point guard in Gover but fortunately have a great point guard coming up in another Gover. He is gonna be a good one.
Woody Hayes Wrote:Pulaski is a sleeper this season. Hard to replace a great point guard in Gover but fortunately have a great point guard coming up in another Gover. He is gonna be a good one.

Pulaski is definitely a sleeper, they have slept the last 3 regional tournaments. They will continue to sleep as long as politics allows them to. All it takes is a little money and a last name and you can sleep as long as you want!!!! Great point guards are like coaches and quarterbacks they find a way to win big games.
jim rome Wrote:[quote=Bean Counter]Southwestern will still fare better than PC. Even though Kapinga at point will be hard to replace, Collier wasn't much of a factor on offense or defense. I think Johnson and Gover were losses PC won't be able to get over since they were both top scorers. Somerset should have the upper hand this season. Who did they lose besides the McCreary transfer? Was the Weddle kid a senior?[/QUOTE Southwestern will fare better than Pulaski. Wright could take middle school kids and beat Pulaski at tourney time. Then again anyone could.

Lol. Yeah Wright is a good one, doing things right since day one. Yes indeed he's had one great year, but the other ones have been disappointments as well come tourney time. He's had a lot of talent come through as well, excluded even the ones he "recruited" in.
KarnivalKat Wrote:[quote=jim rome]

Lol. Yeah Wright is a good one, doing things right since day one. Yes indeed he's had one great year, but the other ones have been disappointments as well come tourney time. He's had a lot of talent come through as well, excluded even the ones he "recruited" in.

SW disappointments can't compare to PCs, look at the talent they have had and not to even get a sniff of regional championship game is one of biggest disappointments in 12th region b-ball in the last 20 years. PC has "recruited" kids to, they just don't come. All coaches recruit some are just better than others.
I disagree. All coaches do not recruit!!!
All the other ones? Coach has only had two seasons at Southwestern. I think everyone would be pretty happy to win the region 50% of the time!
It's going to be really tough on southwestern losing two of their best players this year. Why did they transfer? That just made the road to rupp arena a lot easier for Wayne county to repeat.
I just think when its all said and done... Coach Gover and troops will be a contender come district and region time.