Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 43 Milan (TN) 12
All Cards All Night against last years TN 3A state runner up
Mayfield's passing game seems to be on par with last season, if not better. Only one wild pass thrown all night. Jake will have an array of receivers to throw to this season, lots of large gains in the game with some large receptions.

The running game was disappointing, as would be expected with the loss of Jackson, the line was just not creating the holes the backs needed. There are several good backs on the team, which is always the case with Mayfield, but the line needs more work, just not where it was hyped up to be at this point.

Trajon Bright did not disappoint on the JV squad, I look for him to put some pressure on the varsity backs for playing time in some games this season. The kid has a nose for the holes and is really hard to bring down.

Luke was kicking the ball well, going to be a great asset to have this season, he attempted a 53 yard field goal that had the distance but was just a little wide.

Our defensive line was impressive even without some of the starters out for mono, we were wreaking havok on the snap and spending a lot of time in the backfield. LineBackers had some big shoes to fill with the loss of Jackson but Tim McCampbell looks to fill that void some, very impressive showing tonight but the linebacker corps needs a lot of work.

Mayfield needs work on the secondary, we never seemed to know where the ball is.

The kid from Missouri was on the sidelines but not dressed out, was told he is waiting on his transfer papers, he could be a nice addition and relief to our backfield, I think we are going to need it more than originally thought.
Mayfield picking up were they left off.. Qb has improved dramatically in two years. But I fully expect the Qb to get better but I also expect the running game to get better but I expect more tds through the air than running scores.. But I still expect them to be 50/50..
Mayfield will once again EASILY win the 1A title.
No one else close in the state.
Congrats! Way to represent our great state.
gobigred, That is the same kind of pessimism that I heard after the Milan scrimmage last year. I remember the droves of fans that tol me our line was too small and we couldn't win with them. I bet someone 20 right there that we would win state and got paid. Remember we were scrimmaging Milan, no slouch. We always do real well if we win that scrimmage. This is the most lopsided I have seen it. A couple of our big boys are not in shape yet, heck 1 of them lost his lunch. That was the warmest weather they worked in this year. They are the biggest line I've seen since 2002.
We always have to be critical about the team, show the weaknesses, and we do have some, not saying we will do very well this year, but just calling what we see.

I have been told not to worry too much about the OL, as Milan's DL is expected to be very strong this year. They are a sr dominated line with 2-3 of those guys starting since they were sophs.
Impressive showing by Mayfield. When Belfry picked up CAK I looked them up. The CAK/Milan state title game from last season is online. I remember both of those teams starting seemingly 18 or so of 22 as seniors, so maybe Milan is rebuilding a bit.

Still, everyone is 1A should be very afraid.
gobigred, I understand having some pessimism but, the wording used sounds like some just didn't know what to expect. You have got to remember, we lost the all time leading rusher in MHS history. He didn't get that by accident. You could put most or any of our backs from the past out there this year and everyone would say our running game needed work after what we just lost. The line play looked pretty solid except when a couple of them got hot and sick. I'm just saying look back at the past and you will see many very good years when our backs just got 5-6 yards per carry and controlled the clock. That is really all we need. With this line, I could get 4-5 yards per carry walking up in there. I think we will see just where they are at in 2 weeks at Fort Campbell. I really think one of the things we didn't use that we should have was the go route with Dillon Reed. He could have blown past the corner at any time he wanted to. Really, the only other thing that bothered me was the fact that we were not getting our usual great blocking by the slot receivers on the outside when we did the little slip screens to Deon. If we did as usual we would have scored probably 2 or 3 more times. That will not be a problem as that was the side that Marshall Bacon was on. We know he is experience, smart and strong. He will fix that problem and that you can write down. I also think that we at any time can just throw the ball up to him kinda like the Forrest kid from PT and take what ever kind of yardage we want. Also look back at the film from last year at state and you will see something that Dillon Reed can offer us at any time in any game and there is absolutely no way for anyone to defend it.
By the way, I have seen you and someone else mention the kick by Wynstra. While I would love to say it was 53 it wasn't. I was setting next to his father and we both counted it off. It was 48 yds. Now with that being said, he had enough leg to have made it from 53, it was just that he pulled it. I think he will own the new record for longest field goad in MHS history by the end of the year. It is currently at 47 yds according to Dr Wynstra.
47 yards. I may be wrong but I thought Kevin Stinson hit 2 51 yard field goals in the 86 state title year. I was on that team and know he regularly hit from that far in practice. Not disputing you as I haven't seen anything official and I could just be remembering seeing him do it in practice.
Well looked it up on Mayfieldcardinals.net and although I don't think the recent records are on there it shows 46 yards is the longest by Ryan Ivy. Most of those records tho haven't been updated since the late 90s so it may be 47 now. Probably from Wynstras older bro
That would be a pretty safe bet to say that Luke will set the record this year. I also look for a record in kickoffs for touchbacks. That is if they even keep up with that. I think that one punt fri was over 50 yds
mysonis55 Wrote:gobigred, I understand having some pessimism but, the wording used sounds like some just didn't know what to expect. You have got to remember, we lost the all time leading rusher in MHS history. He didn't get that by accident. You could put most or any of our backs from the past out there this year and everyone would say our running game needed work after what we just lost. The line play looked pretty solid except when a couple of them got hot and sick. I'm just saying look back at the past and you will see many very good years when our backs just got 5-6 yards per carry and controlled the clock. That is really all we need. With this line, I could get 4-5 yards per carry walking up in there. I think we will see just where they are at in 2 weeks at Fort Campbell. I really think one of the things we didn't use that we should have was the go route with Dillon Reed. He could have blown past the corner at any time he wanted to. Really, the only other thing that bothered me was the fact that we were not getting our usual great blocking by the slot receivers on the outside when we did the little slip screens to Deon. If we did as usual we would have scored probably 2 or 3 more times. That will not be a problem as that was the side that Marshall Bacon was on. We know he is experience, smart and strong. He will fix that problem and that you can write down. I also think that we at any time can just throw the ball up to him kinda like the Forrest kid from PT and take what ever kind of yardage we want. Also look back at the film from last year at state and you will see something that Dillon Reed can offer us at any time in any game and there is absolutely no way for anyone to defend it.

I hope u are right about the line, it just seemed like mills was not getting the holes he needed or the blocks he needed, seemed like he had to fight hard to get his yards.

I know the experience is there, so I am sure it is better than what I saw.

Also, I am the person that runs mayfieldcardinals.net and I just received an updated list of stats, only up to 2010, but I think I may be able to piece the rest of it together.
Big Red, I am glad to know that. You did a great job with that site. You are the person that has somewhat kept me entertained for the past few weeks while I have been having a terrible itch for high school football. I have been watching the old games from 93 & 94 that I missed while I was stuck in Mo. I got stuck over there just after I got out of the Air Force. It was the only place I could find a job in the field that I wanted to work until 95. I watch films there all the time. The only problem is, we need more choices. I would really love to see some of the 70's and 80's. Esp with Marcus Moss era. I never got a chance to see him.

Now back to our situation. I really think our fans jump too quickly to think we are down each year. I guess it is because of the great success that we have had. I think we will be MAYFIELD again this year. Just hang in there. I expect we should finish very close to the same as last year. We may have 2 losses this year though. We just have such a brutal schedule. I don't know if you know this or not. Calpreps has our schedule this year as a little less than last years. I cant see that. Caldwell should be much better. I think Murray will be better. I think Graves will be about the same (they got a lot of speed this year). I think PT can be better if they get out of their own way. Fort Campbell has to be better than Madisonville. Russellville will be better. I think McCracken Co should be close if not as good as Warren Central was last year. I think they must be rating McCracken way down compared to WC because they have not yet played and therefore have no power ratings. That is the only way I can read that.

By the way, I have one out there this year. He is no longer 55 though. That was his 8th grd number last year. I have to be careful how I write things on here because I don't want anyone thinking I am bragging on him, even though that is one of my favorite past times. I am very proud of him and the rest of the Cardinals.
gobigredMHS Wrote:I hope u are right about the line, it just seemed like mills was not getting the holes he needed or the blocks he needed, seemed like he had to fight hard to get his yards.

I know the experience is there, so I am sure it is better than what I saw.

Also, I am the person that runs mayfieldcardinals.net and I just received an updated list of stats, only up to 2010, but I think I may be able to piece the rest of it together.

Thanks Big Red. I do enjoy that site I know u are at the mercy of others to get the numbers.
mysonis55 Wrote:Big Red, I am glad to know that. You did a great job with that site. You are the person that has somewhat kept me entertained for the past few weeks while I have been having a terrible itch for high school football. I have been watching the old games from 93 & 94 that I missed while I was stuck in Mo. I got stuck over there just after I got out of the Air Force. It was the only place I could find a job in the field that I wanted to work until 95. I watch films there all the time. The only problem is, we need more choices. I would really love to see some of the 70's and 80's. Esp with Marcus Moss era. I never got a chance to see him.

Now back to our situation. I really think our fans jump too quickly to think we are down each year. I guess it is because of the great success that we have had. I think we will be MAYFIELD again this year. Just hang in there. I expect we should finish very close to the same as last year. We may have 2 losses this year though. We just have such a brutal schedule. I don't know if you know this or not. Calpreps has our schedule this year as a little less than last years. I cant see that. Caldwell should be much better. I think Murray will be better. I think Graves will be about the same (they got a lot of speed this year). I think PT can be better if they get out of their own way. Fort Campbell has to be better than Madisonville. Russellville will be better. I think McCracken Co should be close if not as good as Warren Central was last year. I think they must be rating McCracken way down compared to WC because they have not yet played and therefore have no power ratings. That is the only way I can read that.

By the way, I have one out there this year. He is no longer 55 though. That was his 8th grd number last year. I have to be careful how I write things on here because I don't want anyone thinking I am bragging on him, even though that is one of my favorite past times. I am very proud of him and the rest of the Cardinals.

oh no calpreps has Mayfield schedule this year a little less than last year.good news for the eastside of the state.:ilikeit:i must be the only person that looks at this site.:biglmao: mysonis55 I wish your son a great season.:Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
Thank you sir. I would like to see him get some varsity time but he is most likely a year or two away with the talent ahead of him.
Mayfields non district schedule present 2 preseason #1 seeds, 4 #2s and a 4 seed. Which averages out to be a preseason 2 seed. So to me I think they got a gauntlet to face.
Congrats to Mayfield on the successful tune-up against the out of state team.
mysonis55 Wrote:Big Red, I am glad to know that. You did a great job with that site. You are the person that has somewhat kept me entertained for the past few weeks while I have been having a terrible itch for high school football. I have been watching the old games from 93 & 94 that I missed while I was stuck in Mo. I got stuck over there just after I got out of the Air Force. It was the only place I could find a job in the field that I wanted to work until 95. I watch films there all the time. The only problem is, we need more choices. I would really love to see some of the 70's and 80's. Esp with Marcus Moss era. I never got a chance to see him.

Thanks for the compliments, I too have been looking for the 70's and 80's games, I have been told the exist, but I have yet to see them. If you come across them or find someone that does have them let me know, I have the equipment to get the VHS tapes converted to digital.
I know the man that has some of them, I am sure. If I can ever get him to dig them out. He may need someone to convert them from vhs to digital. Your man is Richard Wright. If anyone has some of them, it would be him.