Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Floyd 2013
South Floyd Raiders' season goals are simple

HI HAT, Ky. (WYMT) - More preseason high school football interviews taking place Friday. South Floyd making the trip to Hazard Friday afternoon to talk about the upcoming season.

The Raiders are coming off a 5-6 year but lost in the first round of the playoffs at home to Nicholas County. Longtime head coach Donnie Daniels says his team's goals for this season are pretty simple.

"I'd love to see us in the playoffs, finish in the top two and have another home playoff game. I'd love to finish around .500 or better," says Daniels. "I'm an old coach; every Friday night I want to win. If I step out on that field, I think I'm going to win on Friday nights. If you don't, I think you're cheating your kids, the people that come to watch you, what your school represents, but I think one of the things we want to do is get better every day though."

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...61941.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Aug 23, 13 Magoffin County home 7:30 PM

Aug 30, 13 Pineville away 7:30 PM

Sep 13, 13 Knott County Central away 7:30 PM

Sep 17, 13 TBA home 6:30 PM

Sep 20, 13 Jenkins home 7:30 PM

Oct 4, 13 Betsy Layne home 7:30 PM

Oct 11, 13 Pikeville away 7:30 PM

Oct 18, 13 Allen Central away 7:30 PM

Oct 25, 13 Phelps home 7:30 PM

Nov 1, 13 East Ridge away 7:30 PM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I see 5, possibly 6 wins from the looks of the schedule. Good luck Raiders.
2013 WYMT Pigskin Preview: South Floyd Raiders

HI HAT, Ky. (WYMT) - When you look at the South Floyd Raiders you immediately look at the back field, and gone from last season are the services of 2,000-yard rusher Weston Little.

"A lot of people don't realize, we lost a great back in Weston (Little). There's no doubt about that," says longtime head coach Donnie Daniels. "What people don't realize is we've still got two good backs coming back, and two three-year, four-year starters in the backfield that's coming back, so we're counting on them quite a bit to carry the load for us."

One of those backs is senior Blake Dye, who has had to serve as both a leader and a teacher this off-season.

"We got to go slower with the process," explains Dye. "When we do the plays and stuff, we got to do more teaching instead of being able to just go on through it real fast and learn real fast."

"They show of potential and they're putting forth the effort," adds fullback Jimmy Helton. "They're out each day before practice, after practice, just on the field constantly."

South Floyd ended last season with a 35-28 playoff loss at home to Nicholas County, narrowly missing the program's first ever postseason win.

"That loss probably hurt worse than any other loss I've suffered before," reflects Helton, "and it just kind of shows you that you need to play hard every second that's you're on the field and just do whatever you can do to win."

"Our kids are hard-nosed kids and they come out and they play hard every night," adds Daniels. "As a coaching staff that's been there with me, we've demanded that they have to play hard. We're just not going to be able to roll out there on Friday night and win ball games. We know we have to work for every down, every yard. It's a big thing for us to try to get those kids in that frame of mind, kind of 'we're against the world' type deal."

South Floyd will be tested early this season when they open on August 23rd against 3A opponent Magoffin County.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...37081.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Little is a huge loss but they should continue to be competitive.