Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield Cardinal Preview
Mayfield Cardinal Preview 2013

The question for the Cards this year will be how do you replace the loss of Jonathan Jackson, Deon Jackson and supporting cast of 2013 graduates. The answer will come in the form of team speed. The cards return 8 defensive starters and 8 offensive starters from last season’s state championship team that finished 14-1. The Cards have their entire offensive and defensive starting lines back this year. They also return that starting qb in the form of Jake Guhy. They also have two of the receivers that either started or saw significant time in last seasons rotation. They also return their field goal kicker and punter, which also handled some kick off duties last season, in the form of Luke Wynstra. Another item that could be overlooked by most, they return a starting DE from last season they lost due to knee injury, which frees up a beast to move to linebacker.

The Cards have at running back this year a senior in Stewart Mills. Mills has seen significant time in this role since he was a freshman and scored a touchdown in last seasons state championship game. Mills is not going to remind anyone of Jonathan Jackson but more of a Zack Katzman of Graves County (who now plays for Murray State). This kid has great vision, a low center of gravity, great vision and gets from 0-60 quicker than anyone. The Cards did lose the burner at running back, Jordan Tyler, to Graves County this year. Mills was slated to be the starting back before the loss of Tyler though.

The Cards have also picked up 2 athletes from the old Heath High School. They also picked up 1 large lineman type player from the old Lone Oak High. In addition to all this talent you add in the fact that the incoming freshman group is one of the most talented across the board to come through Mayfield in many years. Not to mention the fact that the coaching staff feels this years line may be one of the biggest and most athletic lines in the tenor of Head Coach Joe Morris. You add this all up and the Cards are loaded with speed, size and depth.

The schedule for the Cards is probably one of the toughest in the state this year. They start things off in a scrimmage with the traditional 3a powerhouse of Tn in Milan. Milan has played in the state championship many times over the past 5 years. The Cards start their season off, on the road at Fort Campbell. The Falcons are a 3a team that should be in the top 5. They then host what everyone is billing as the new powerhouse in West Ky 6a, in McCracken Co. The Mustangs should be in the top 10 of 6a. Then they travel to their long time rivals and long time power in 3a, at Paducah Tilghman. The Tornado should also be a top 5 team in 3a. They then host a traditional power in 2a in Murray. The Tigers also should be a top 5 team in 2a. They also host their cross town rivals in 5a Graves County. The Eagles made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs last season and finished 9-3. They then travel to 6a Marshall Co. The Marshall’s made it into the playoffs last year as well. The fun doesn’t end once they start the 1a district play either. This is because Mayfield is in the same district with what should be a top 3 1a team in Russellville. The Panthers return most of their team from last season including their starting qb. This could be the Cards toughest hurdle to overcome on their way to their 5th straight trip to Bowling Green. The Cards finish their season at Caldwell Co, which is last years state runners up in 2a. The Tigers should be favored to win the 2a state title this season.

This schedule should make the Cards ready for anything thrown at them in the playoffs. The question will be how many of these games can they win and can they stay relatively injury free. If they come out of this brutal schedule with few injuries, then I like their chances.

Players to Watch:

Jake Guhy/qb This guhy threw for over 3,000 yards, 30 touchdowns
& only 1 interception in all of 2012. He also has started
in 2 consecutive state championship games. He should be
The great equalizer for the Cards this season.

Stewart Mills/rb Mills has played considerably during the past 3 years at this
role and has been rather productive. He also will spend
some time at LB. He is very shifty and has a low center of
gravity. He has the benefit also of having played in this role
in 2 state championship games.

Deon Jackson/wr This kid is almost an automatic touchdown. I can’t
remember a time last year that this kid caught a pass that
didn’t result in a touchdown. This kid is shifty and very
fast. He should remind everyone of Xavier Shelton, from
the 2009 state runners up.

Luke Wynstra/K It may seem unusual to mention a kicker in these roles, but
if you play the Cards you can see just what a devastating
impact this kid has on the game. He always manages to flip
the field for the Cards.
Kyle Downing/DE This kid has manned his side admirably for the past 2
years. He is quick, strong and dominates his side of the
field. He is 6’4” and has all the talent necessary to make
college scouts mouth’s water.

Tim McCampbell/LB This kid took the spot of Labront Scott last season and didn’t miss a beat in
Filling his very large shoes. Due to the luxary of having their first option at
DE back after recovering from a knee injury, they can now use McCampbell
To clog the middle. This could be his break out season.

Dillon Reed/WR This kid is a blaze and has strength to go with it. You know he has to be
A smart kid as well, due to the fact that he has been converted from qb.
He threw for a touchdown in the 2012 state championship game. They
Should have lots of packages for this kid to utilize his talents.
Nice job

Suggestion to make even better-Add height and weight.
"Meh" who cares?
Bahahahahah I'm just joking around. I love to give the Mayfield guys a hard time. It sounds like this team may be even better then last year even without Jonathen Jackson.:Thumbs:
:notbad: mysonis55 hope you guys makeit to bowling green Confusednicker:.williamsburg going to make the championship this year. 64sur
Cath fan, thanks for the advise. I was kind of caught between not wanting to make the article too long and whether I should add this. 64, I am hoping for a 5th straight trip myself, esp since this would be the 1st for mine. I wish you guys lots of luck too, I'm not quiet sure how your side will mesh out. We gotta worry about Russellville first. If Williamsburg and Mayfield make it, it should be billed as the 64 Bowl.
Looks like a typical Mayfield team. They are clearly the favorites in 1A. 64SUR and I will be there if Williamsburg makes it that far. Good luck to Mayfield but with that roster it does not look as if you need much luck.
1A is Mayfields to lose. Russellville could suprise them, but I doubt that. Teams like Mayfield dont lose games simply because they over looked someone. The west will be decided by Mayfield and Russellville the winner of that clash facing Beechwood. The east should be alot more competetive with Fairview and Raceland battling for a shot. Williamsburg and Hazard Battling for one, and Pikeville having a say so as well...who ever does make it out of the east, CONGRATULATIONS! your gift is the Mayfield Cardinals. And if not them, whoever beat them is an even scarier thought. August is just around the corner! Cant wait to get some answers.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:1A is Mayfields to lose. Russellville could suprise them, but I doubt that. Teams like Mayfield dont lose games simply because they over looked someone. The west will be decided by Mayfield and Russellville the winner of that clash facing Beechwood. The east should be alot more competetive with Fairview and Raceland battling for a shot. Williamsburg and Hazard Battling for one, and Pikeville having a say so as well...who ever does make it out of the east, CONGRATULATIONS! your gift is the Mayfield Cardinals. And if not them, whoever beat them is an even scarier thought. August is just around the corner! Cant wait to get some answers.
The playoffs in the East in 1A could be the best in the state. Like you said, tall task if you do win it, but winning the East this year is a huge accomplishment.
Well done 55!!!
Panther Thunder Wrote:The playoffs in the East in 1A could be the best in the state. Like you said, tall task if you do win it, but winning the East this year is a huge accomplishment.

Agreed. Whoever Makes it out of the east will surely be battle tested. What kind of depth do the other schools have? 1A teams live and die by the "first 22". Many times if u lose a rb u lose a lb. or if u lose an OT u lose a DE. I know Raceland has and will have for years to come, alot of skill and depth. Whats Pikeville, Mayfield, Bwood, Wburg, Hazard, Fairview looking like on a dept chart?As it seems those are the teams that will pretty much run the state for the next few years. Atleast until 2015's realignment.
1a war in the east,west surrender to mayfield :igiveup: go williamsburg
I just got word of a new transfer student that may make some noise at some point. The word is that a student has just transferred in from Mo. His dad played college football somewhere. The kid is a sophomore and supposedly runs a 4.5 in the 40. We will see how this goes. It could be great or it could go like one that came in from Ga a couple years ago.
Did anyone see the interviews of Jake Guhy and Joe Morris on WPSD? If so, what did you think?
Just watched the Cards innersquad scrimmage today. Jake Guhy was threading a needle and making it look very easy. With that huge, very mobile line, I don't see many teams stopping any of our backs for less than 4 yards. Deon Jackson was looking like the comic book legend "Flash" out there. Marshall Bacon looked real well as a post up type tall target to throw to for a sure 8-10 yards anytime we want it. The first surprise for me was Lane Kennemore. He is sure handed and to have him catching passes and plowing over cornerbacks is going to be great. He also showed he is pretty shifty and fast. The other surprise was Trajon Bright, the freshman running back. I thought he would be too small to play varsity this year. The fact is, he can and will play varsity. He was killing our defense in the role that used to be Jordan Tyler's. He hits the corner and there isn't much gonna catch him. We will see more next week when we scrimmage Tn 3a power Milan at Milan.
The milan scrim. Is it here this year and wat time .? Would like to go watch it..good info thinks
Nev mind lol I c
The scrimmage is at Milan, I think. It will be this coming Friday. I think we should still be about 2-3 touchdowns better, esp if the offense plays like it did today. I would really like to see what Jake Guhy could do if he was as tall as Sindilar from Caldwell Co. He was amazing last season and He looked really good today.
ontopofthewest Wrote:the milan scrim. Is it here this year and wat time .? Would like to go watch it..good info thinks

6:30
Okay, 6:30, where?
mysonis55 Wrote:Okay, 6:30, where?

Given that it was here last year, I would assume its there this year but that is just logic and not any sort of statement to be taken as fact
That's what I thought too. It isn't for sure yet though. My boy told me that we have some new arrangement made with Milan to have it here every year. I thought that could not be right. I ran into coach Parrott the other day in town. He also thought that there was such a new agreement, but did not know for sure. He said they should know Monday though. I still haven't found out.
Just got word on two things. The first is that the scrimmage is at Milan. The second is that we did get the kid from Missouri. He showed up at practice today to get his equipment. I understand that he may be about average size. It is unknown how fast or good he looks, due to the fact that he did not practice today.

I also got some other information that I was not aware of. I knew that Milan had been pretty successful over the recent past. I did not know this though. They have played in 4 of the last 5 3a state championship games in Tn. They lost them all though. The only one they missed was 2010. In 2010 they lost in the semi's.
mysonis55 Wrote:Just got word on two things. The first is that the scrimmage is at Milan. The second is that we did get the kid from Missouri. He showed up at practice today to get his equipment. I understand that he may be about average size. It is unknown how fast or good he looks, due to the fact that he did not practice today.

I also got some other information that I was not aware of. I knew that Milan had been pretty successful over the recent past. I did not know this though. They have played in 4 of the last 5 3a state championship games in Tn. They lost them all though. The only one they missed was 2010. In 2010 they lost in the semi's.

Great info. on Milan, where in the world did you dig up those facts on them??? Confusednicker:
Toothpick found that in their local newspaper. Just to think we have pretty well handled them in the last 4 years or so and they were competing in 3a of Tn.
I overheard him telling you, that's why I thought it was funny!
Just 2 more days until we get to see the Cards in action for the first time. I cant hardly wait.
2 days from this time, I will be in the stands watching. It is hard to believe that time is here again.
Keep us on a update if ya think about it while ur there.
Mayfield is going to be good an a solid line will only help there running game.. I expect them to be 50/50 on offense with depending on the Qb to hit receivers for big plays. Jon Jackson was an every down back not sure if they still have that.. I'm also not putting down any but Jon Jackson is a rare athlete an will be hard to replace..