Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has happened at Russell?
What has happened at Russell High School? For years it was one of the winningest and most talked about programs in NEKY, well in the state for that matter. The last few years things have went way downhill. Anyone have any thoughts or answers? As stated before, I am a die hard Raceland Ram, BUT have always supported the other schools in our area unless they happen to land on an opposing sideline.
Decline in talent and attitude. It comes and goes everywhere. Been a down swing. Should turn up again. It's not like they have been awful. Just not up to 2002-2007 standards.
You as a die hard am fan should already know the answer to your own question. Which I believe you do. The better part of this years junior and season classes are now at Wasteland.
And so that game has started. Im not getting into that. From the get go i stated that I supported Russell. Have friends and family involved in the program. All i was saying is that it seems in the last few years, the soul is gone from that team. Maybe it has to do wit Ivine's health. Which brings me to my next question. What is his status going into the season?
That game started 3 years ago.

It's a down cycle. It happens. Even in a down time they still have had winning records. The biggest problem is they have been down while their rivals have been up. Losing streaks to Ashland Blazer and Raceland don't sit well. Especially when there were a couple of those games they should have won.

Short term. The sky is falling. Big picture. A bump in the road.

McGlone should be on the field this year and has earned the right to be there as long as he wants. The uncertainty the last few years has without a doubt had an effect though.
They still haven't had a losing season this century. Some pride in things like that have been lacking. High standards can be tough to live up to. In the end though, after the trash talk its still just kids playing a game. I think we lose sight of that sometimes.
FBALL Wrote:They still haven't had a losing season this century. Some pride in things like that have been lacking. High standards can be tough to live up to. In the end though, after the trash talk its still just kids playing a game. I think we lose sight of that sometimes.

Very much so agreed upon. It was just a thought I had. Hadn't been able to get any real insight on it. Last years Grid Iron Bowl and the game at Pikeville just about summed up Raceland's season. Absolutely no "go for the kill" mentality. Idk what you can do as a coach to establish that though. Get a team on the ropes and finish them. I hate that "playing with class" and "playing not to lose" has seemed to go hand in hand at Raceland. I am sure things will turn around in Red Devil Country soon enough though and I look forward to it.
FBALL Wrote:That game started 3 years ago.

It's a down cycle. It happens. Even in a down time they still have had winning records. The biggest problem is they have been down while their rivals have been up. Losing streaks to Ashland Blazer and Raceland don't sit well. Especially when there were a couple of those games they should have won.

Short term. The sky is falling. Big picture. A bump in the road.

McGlone should be on the field this year and has earned the right to be there as long as he wants. The uncertainty the last few years has without a doubt had an effect though.
Idk what games they should have won I do t remember to many over the last 4 or 5 years being very close.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Idk what games they should have won I do t remember to many over the last 4 or 5 years being very close.

None with Ashland Blazer. The Tomkittens have been dominant over Russell for the past half decade. Only game Russell had a chance in was two years ago at Russell.
Lewis game is the game that comes to my mind. Should have won that one. Took them for granted. Lewis had a great team that year. Just took it for granted IMO.
I think the thread and its tone of panic is a bit much. But the above post highlights this is a downturn for Russell.

No disrespect meant to Lewis County, but they should never beat Russell.
No panic. It happens. Belfry is on an incredible run but they have had down turns as well. It happens everywhere.

The panic tone comes from the Raceland side who I think is just enjoying their shot to rub a little salt in the wound. It's much the same dynamic as Pikeville and Belfry.
The up tick is right around the corner. We have some very very good talent comeing up that should stack up with anyone we may play.
Am and foozeball should just kiss and make up
devil4life Wrote:The up tick is right around the corner. We have some very very good talent comeing up that should stack up with anyone we may play.

Boy !! We've been hearing this for the last few years.
The up tick is right around the corner. We have some very very good talent comeing up that should stack up with anyone we may play.
devil4life Wrote:The up tick is right around the corner. We have some very very good talent comeing up that should stack up with anyone we may play.

Agreed Russell future is very bright if all those kids stay 4 years.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Lewis game is the game that comes to my mind. Should have won that one. Took them for granted. Lewis had a great team that year. Just took it for granted IMO.

I know I'm gonna make every Russell fan grown when I mention this. But the mason county game last year sent the train off the tracks. They dominated the first 3 quarters of that one and had the game and district won. That was the second most uncharacterisict Ivan game I've seen from the devils outside of the 61-7 game against Ashland a few years ago. You very rarely see a coach mcglone team lose a game like that. Not this season but next I think russell starts to get back to the Red Devils of old though.
You are 100% correct there is no excuse for what happened in the Mason Co. game.
Groan!
Russell needs to do something different offensively.. There is no excitement surrounding the program. A new offensive system such as the spread would provide some excitement back into the program and hopefully keep their best skill players in maroon and gold. Take Connor Messer for example, why would he want to stay at Russell and get abused running between the tackles or line up at WR and stalk block for an entire game.. Kids like him will continue to leave as long as Russell sticks with the wing t...ZzZzZzZ. And Russell no longer has the talent to line up and run over top of people. But installing the spread is much more than just throwing in a couple shotgun formations throughout the season. Going to the spread is a full program commitment and culture change, it has to be worked on every day in practice. IMO that's the only chance Russell has to get back on top.
NoPicks Wrote:Russell needs to do something different offensively.. There is no excitement surrounding the program. A new offensive system such as the spread would provide some excitement back into the program and hopefully keep their best skill players in maroon and gold. Take Connor Messer for example, why would he want to stay at Russell and get abused running between the tackles or line up at WR and stalk block for an entire game.. Kids like him will continue to leave as long as Russell sticks with the wing t...ZzZzZzZ. And Russell no longer has the talent to line up and run over top of people. But installing the spread is much more than just throwing in a couple shotgun formations throughout the season. Going to the spread is a full program commitment and culture change, it has to be worked on every day in practice. IMO that's the only chance Russell has to get back on top.

:howdy: we have the spread at williamsburg an it is exciting,i agree with you nopicks about russell. Confusedmoke:
For those singing the Poor Russell Blues, stop and think; they still have averaged about 6 0r 7 wins a season. Not to shabby for down years.
Alot of schools would love to have 6 or 7 wins be a down year.
You don't have to run a spread or spread option for excitement.

Messer and crew didn't leave because of the offense at Russell.
All I know is when a RB gains 3 yards I get excited. I don't need flash. 3 yards and a cloud of dust is all I want. Anybody that truly has been watching Russell football knows what's coming ahead. Russell at present will never be a passing team. Coach always said 3 things can happen when you pass....and 2 or them are bad lol. (I assume INT or Incompletion) I like to watch a passing offensive. Certain area teams are good at it and kudos to them. It's just not what we are right now.
But it's what we should have done more of last year with Lance at QB. He had some receivers too.

This group coming up is more of a running team. That's my only criticism over the years. Sometimes you just need to play to what you have instead of we do what we do.

I also don't think you can sell short the continuity of the staff and what the loss of some longtime assistants has meant. Especially with Coach mcGlones health issues the last few years.
I think the spread vear or spread bone would or even a spread t from the gun would work well at russell. Russell hasnt had the gaurds in recent years. They could benefit from spreadig the field out and getting the lbs off of the edges and open up the middle a bit more.
Russell's guards are non effective!!!! That's Blasphemy!!! Lol Yea they have been hit or miss the last couple of years. Hopefully they will improve the next year or so Smile lol
As a former gaurd at Russell I'm starting to like this thread.