Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPike Camp
Anyone have any thoughts on the UPike camp that just finished up? Did anything surprise anyone? I guess it's hard to tell with maybe not all of the best players being available to play for each team. I didn't hear of any injuries during the camp, so that's a plus.
I was fortunate enough to watch every team play in the camp.It was a good camp.The refs could be a little more fair towards the kids,yes kids.Alot of bad calls against the teams playing against Knott County.Anyways,I watched all the teams play and I am going to rank them as I seen it from number one to the worst.

1-Shelby Valley- the best team in it.Totally different team than last season,daylight & dark.The new coach is a great fit for Valley.The boys are having fun and Valley is winning.I seen them beat Sheldon Clark by 23 and the new point guard didn't even play in any games after the Knott County game,but yet Valley blowed every team out.
2-Knott County
3-Science Hill
4-Betsy Layne
5-Chapmanville
6-East Ridge
7-Letcher Central
8-Sheldon Clark
9-Buckhorn
10-Paintsville

That's just a few. The teams that's going to have a long season.
Phelps
Prestonsburg
Belfry
Knott Co. & Science Hill were 15 to 20 points better than every team in this camp. SV will be improved...if the kid from Grant Co. transfers here. Don't see much improvement other than Richardson in their returning players. SV, ER, Pike Central, Betsy Layne, & Pikeville looked pretty even to me with Phelps, Pburg, & Belfry noticeably behind them. Not sure if you can put anyone in JC's league at this point based on what I saw at UPike.
You must of watched different ball games than everyone else down there.Knott County beat Shelby Valley on a free throw in a sudden death over time.Valley lead them the whole game.The refs bailed out Knott County.Science Hill would not have beaten Shelby Valley if Valley hadn't subbed five in five out.So no,KC or Science Hill is not 15-20 points better than any team.
^ Knott plays SV this coming season. I'd say you would be better to judge who is the better team then...
To me you have to say KCC and Science Hill were the best two this week based on results but I was impressed with the improvement of SV, Pike Central, and East Ridge. I watched SVs games so I know how they did against everyone but not sure about ER and PC. I thought these three were a level above the others in the region this week. Being an SV fan I was very happy with the level of excitement, effort, and enjoyment I saw out of the kids this week. Coach Hicks is off to a great start with them.
Knott and Science Hill were the best teams. Knott did not lose a game all week and did not lose a game all summer and played this past week at UPike without Cornett and played all last week without Christian.
1. Knott County Central
2. Science Hill
3. East Ridge
4. Betsy Layne
5.Tug Valley
6. Shelby Valley
7.Sheldon Clark
8.Letcher County Central
9.Pike County Central
10.Paintsville
Teams who did not look good: Pikeville, Phelps, Belfry, Prestonsburg

Top 6could beat Johnson Central
Tubby Hater Wrote:Knott and Science Hill were the best teams. Knott did not lose a game all week and did not lose a game all summer and played this past week at UPike without Cornett and played all last week without Christian.

If you're talking about Chance Cornett he did play against Shelby Valley.
I did not make the las day games against against Sheldon Clark and VAlley but I can promise you in the games I saw Nobody but Science Hill was on the same level as Knott but you 15th region fans can stay in your fantasy world and I promise you nobody in the 15th is on the same level as Knott or Perry. I add Perry because Johnson was the best player in the 15th and he is no longer there.
Anyone know what Prestonsburg's record was for the camp and who played for them. I was expecting a decent year after only losing Williams.
PHS Coach Wrote:Anyone know what Prestonsburg's record was for the camp and who played for them. I was expecting a decent year after only losing Williams.
I didn't see the point guard Jarrell or the big man Frasure either time I saw Pburg play. What I did so though, they were very week. I'm sure they will be better in the regular season.
Pburg will be fine in regular season. This region is wide open despite the previous comments by a Valley fan who thinks Valley could play with the Showtime Lakers.
Good luck to all ...
Was talking to a few other parents in town and some were saying Jarrell isn't playing basketball this year and will focus 100% on football. Anyone close to his family able to confirm such rumors. He is a great talent and would be a huge loss to the basketball team.
OldFan Wrote:I was fortunate enough to watch every team play in the camp.It was a good camp.The refs could be a little more fair towards the kids,yes kids.Alot of bad calls against the teams playing against Knott County.Anyways,I watched all the teams play and I am going to rank them as I seen it from number one to the worst.

1-Shelby Valley- the best team in it.Totally different team than last season,daylight & dark.The new coach is a great fit for Valley.The boys are having fun and Valley is winning.I seen them beat Sheldon Clark by 23 and the new point guard didn't even play in any games after the Knott County game,but yet Valley blowed every team out.
2-Knott County
3-Science Hill
4-Betsy Layne
5-Chapmanville
6-East Ridge
7-Letcher Central
8-Sheldon Clark
9-Buckhorn
10-Paintsville

That's just a few. The teams that's going to have a long season.
Phelps
Prestonsburg
Belfry

I don't post on here alot but for the record, Paintsville didn't play in the Pikeville College team camp. We had a great summer playing several local teams. Rowan County,West Carter,Bath,Ashland,Betsy Layne,Jackson City,Allen Central. Remember, summer is a chance to play your kids,try different line ups and maybe lean towards a style of play for the following season. Good luck to all teams and have a great summer.
was this a good camp this year