Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knox Central summer ball
Does anyone know whats going on?
Will Knox go with a four-guard lineup next year? Will any freshmen help?
They have a couple really good Freshmen coming up,one plays inside.The problem we have is we have no coach, and from what i understand there is nothing scheduled during summerball. If half the rummors are true we may not have a coach for a while.
^
I thought someone said Evans was back?
Most people believe that he will get his job back.The rummors now are they are going to let the new AD make the call. You may not know we pink slipped the the A D last week, and as for as i know we have not advertised that job yet.Huelett made a real mess before he left.The new rummor is that Huelett was at the S L an KC baseball game in a S L hat last week.
Pink slipped Tommy Smith!? Tommy is an institution at Knox Central.
rojas Wrote:Pink slipped Tommy Smith!? Tommy is an institution at Knox Central.

He was fired as AD last year because he was saving the school system money by not buying shoes from Lowes Sporting Goods, but was apparently costing someone else money who didn't like it. He sued and was reinstated, have not heard that he lost it again, maybe he was tired of the politics and decided to retire.
Any chance the new Super wants to reestablish the reciprical agreement?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Any chance the new Super wants to reestablish the reciprical agreement?

Thats a tough one.The temporary Super has proposed eliminating almost a Million dollars worth of staff jobs.None of these are teaching jobs,so I would think reciporcal is not in the discussion right now.But in the future I can see a reciporal of some type with Corbin or doing away with the agreement with Barbourville I just don't see how you can do one and not the other.
insideinfo Wrote:But in the future I can see a reciporal of some type with Corbin or doing away with the agreement with Barbourville I just don't see how you can do one and not the other.

That's easy there is just about a equal number of kids that come from Barbourville as there is of kids that go there, but with Corbin it's not even close the number of kids that go to Corbin is a whole lot more than what come to Knox co school system. With the new sup. if money is the thing then there is no way he could have any agreement with Corbin. But as with anything only time will tell.

I also hadn't heard anything about Tommy Smith getting pink slipped this year either. Only the stuff that went on last year. And IMO the former sup really made one hell of a mess for someone to clean up that's foresure.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Any chance the new Super wants to reestablish the reciprical agreement?

I don't mean this as being a smart aleck,but why would he do that?
insideinfo Wrote:Thats a tough one.The temporary Super has proposed eliminating almost a Million dollars worth of staff jobs.None of these are teaching jobs,so I would think reciporcal is not in the discussion right now.But in the future I can see a reciporal of some type with Corbin or doing away with the agreement with Barbourville I just don't see how you can do one and not the other.

I asked the same question of one of Knox Co friends that knows his way around Knox Co politics. He said it is two different situations. At Corbin it is a money issue. At Barbourville it is a political issue. Many of the decision makers and political movers and shakers in Knox Co have children that live in Knox Co but attend Barbourville schools. These are the type people that can end a superintendent our a school board member's professional or political career.
HDE Wrote:I don't mean this as being a smart aleck,but why would he do that?

The biggest risk Knox Co. faces in not signing an agreement is if the homeowners in the affected areas petition to become part of the Corbin School District, something that some parents have been discussing. Knox would then lose all of that property tax basis that they currently receive on all those new subdivisions that have sprung up on that side of Corbin over the past few years. There is a precedent for this already as the state moved a very large area of the Whitley Co. School District to the Corbin School District back in the late 80's after being petitioned by landowners in those areas.
SEKYFAN Wrote:The biggest risk Knox Co. faces in not signing an agreement is if the homeowners in the affected areas petition to become part of the Corbin School District, something that some parents have been discussing. Knox would then lose all of that property tax basis that they currently receive on all those new subdivisions that have sprung up on that side of Corbin over the past few years. There is a precedent for this already as the state moved a very large area of the Whitley Co. School District to the Corbin School District back in the late 80's after being petitioned by landowners in those areas.

Which is why you have a screwed up district where Corbin elementary is just as far from "town" as Oak Grove which is a county school.
The tattersall ordeal was the biggest reason for that.

I never understood it. Growing up i lived over 15 miles away from downtown corbin, but was very close to being in the Corbin district, and actually lived in the Corbin district in my early years but attended Whitley instead.
Im still waiting for Corbin to try an annex down hwy 26. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Corbin city limits run all the way to woodbine one day.
HDE Wrote:I don't mean this as being a smart aleck,but why would he do that?

Trust me, i hope he dont. I hope Whitley ends theres as well, although it will never happen.
Should have been done a long time ago.

But as for your question, i answer it with another question, why did they do it for as long as they did?

Somebody had it happen before...

I look at it like this. Knox County was pissed off because all of the families around West Knox area where nicer subdivisions are popping up were sending there kids to Corbin instead of Lynn Camp, and in all honesty, you cant blame them, Lynn Camp has been notorius for being one of the worst academic schools in the state. Then, you look at north corbin. As you know, Corbin city limits only fall in Whitley and Knox County due to the law that a city cant branch out into a third county. When you around the wal mart area, which is in laurel county, your only about 5 or 6 miles from Corbin high school, while your 12 miles up the interstate to get to South Laurel where the kids are suppose to attend. Its ridicolous.

It should either be send your kids wherever you want period, or send your kids to the district they live in only period.
If Wburg didnt have Whitley kids attending there school, theyd go from the 6th smallest 1A school to the smallest by far most likely. MANY of there athletes over the years have lived way out in the county district.
rojas Wrote:I asked the same question of one of Knox Co friends that knows his way around Knox Co politics. He said it is two different situations. At Corbin it is a money issue. At Barbourville it is a political issue. Many of the decision makers and political movers and shakers in Knox Co have children that live in Knox Co but attend Barbourville schools. These are the type people that can end a superintendent our a school board member's professional or political career.

This is exactly what is happening.But the city school people are real nervous.Some of there staff was actually out knocking on doors in the last election for county school bd. members,all three lost that they were working for, I'm not sure what that means for them.The last board voted in a five year reciporal agreement with them on there last meeting before the new board came on.They also voted the teachers a raise,which has been rescinded, Just politics as usual in Knox co,
Should have a good team had a great middle school team couple years ago
They have a couple new kids at open gym one looks really athletic about 6 '3''
Should be ok but will still be same problem as the last few years same old coach..
panther nation Wrote:Should be ok but will still be same problem as the last few years same old coach..

And he is ten times better than our girls coach.
Knox could be better than people think. I think coach Evans will have them playing good basketball by late feb and early march
Knox Central, Clay Co., and Bell Co, will be the top 3 teams.
Wolverine Wrote:Knox could be better than people think. I think coach Evans will have them playing good basketball by late feb and early march

What people?
Knox Central will likely be ranked second in the region to start the year.
I heard Knox got a big athletic transfer. Any truth to this?
ArJay Wrote:I heard Knox got a big athletic transfer. Any truth to this?

I was up there before school started back and open gym was going on and they had a couple kids I had never saw before, one looked to be 6' 3 or 4 and was real athletic. The Marsee kid and kid I did not know was really getting after it.