Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport new head football coach: Matthew Schmitz
Newport's new head football coach is Matthew Schmitz. Schmitz was the offensive coordinator at Clinton High School in Tennessee. Schmitz played football at Austin Peay and coached a few seasons at Tennessee Tech, mainly helping with recruiting.

His father, Bill, was the head coach at Austin Peay from 1997 to 2002. He was an assistant at the Univ. of Cincinnati in the 80's and still lives in Cincy. That's the local connection.
i cant remember a good season in Newport Football. Hopefully he can turn that around. It crazy that they can be so good at basketball? shouldnt they have at least 5 athletic kids to start on the gridiron?
I saw Clinton play KnoxCentral early in the year and the best I remember they had a good offense.I don't believe they finish with a real good record,but they where competive in all there games.
birdman44 Wrote:i cant remember a good season in Newport Football. Hopefully he can turn that around. It crazy that they can be so good at basketball? shouldnt they have at least 5 athletic kids to start on the gridiron?

it's been awhile, but they had a solid team when Schlarman coached there in the mid 2000s.
It's good to see someone from the outside take up a coaching position in nky. Newport has seen some hard times but never doubt how hard they play. I wish them the best because it makes all the other programs around them better.