Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubby Smith is done at Minnesota
Tubby Smith is done at Minnesota.

Smith, who has spent the past six seasons with the Gophers, was fired on Monday afternoon, sources told CBSSports.com. His tenure ends with a 124-81 overall mark and a 46-62 record in Big Ten play.

Smith, 61, won his first NCAA tournament game at the school this past week against UCLA, but new athletic director Norwood Teague -- who along with associate AD Mike Ellis was responsible for hiring Shaka Smart at his last stop -- decided to go in a different direction and buy out the remaining years of his contract.

Smith made the NCAA tournament in three of his six seasons at Minnesota and was knocked out in the first round in both 2009 and 2010. The team started off 15-1 this season, but lost 12 of its last 18 games and barely made the NCAA tournament as an 11-seed. Smith arrived in 2007 from Kentucky, where the fan base grew frustrated in the latter years of his tenure due to early exits and a lack of success on the recruiting trail. Smith won the national title in 1998 -- his first season as a head coach in Lexington.

There will be those who say that Minnesota should be content going to an NCAA tournament every other year, but Teague and Ellis clearly want to take this program to the next level -- and hire someone that fits their style. That's exactly what happened with Smart and VCU.

Expect Teague to take a shot at persuading Smart to rejoin him, but it's a longshot. Also expect names such as former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders to be tossed around, but I'd be surprised if these guys don't delve into the coaching ranks. Remember, the Teague-Ellis duo is as familiar with college coaches as any administrative duo in the nation after starting up the Villa 7 years ago. Look for these guys to also see if Marquette coach Buzz Williams, who was involved with Villa 7, is interested in making a move.

Minnesota will lose its top two frontline guys in Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams from a team that finished 21-13 this season. Guards Andre and Austin Hollins return.
Great coach
He is a great coach but never seemed to get over the "hump".
Horrible move by Minnesota. Unless they are going after Howland, and even then Smith could be considered the better coach, this move is dumb. Minnesota isn't a high profile job that Kentucky is. We gave Tubby 10 years for goodness sake.
Im gonna dance right on out of another failed job....

[Image: http://gifsection.com/wp-content/uploads...-15-13.gif]
^ Dude whats ur problem with Tubby, he is a good basketball coach?

No, maybe not the greatest but he is for sure a good coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Where you at, FBALL?

I highly doubt Minnesota finds a better coach than Tubby Smith. Minnesota will be return to their garbage days.
Tubby will land another job and be fine. Gophers lose on this one
ekff Wrote:^ Dude whats ur problem with Tubby, he is a good basketball coach?

No, maybe not the greatest but he is for sure a good coach.

Im going to dance around that question...

[Image: http://gifsection.com/wp-content/uploads...-15-13.gif]
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Where you at, FBALL?

I highly doubt Minnesota finds a better coach than Tubby Smith. Minnesota will be return to their garbage days.

I'm in mourning.
Dumb ass move
You can sure tell who the Tubby backers are.You win a national championship you should get 5 years.We let him stay 4 years to long.And you guys are bad mouthing there A D for wanting to win.Whats wrong with wanting to win,he has proved that he could not get the job done.
insideinfo Wrote:You can sure tell who the Tubby backers are.You win a national championship you should get 5 years.We let him stay 4 years to long.And you guys are bad mouthing there A D for wanting to win.Whats wrong with wanting to win,he has proved that he could not get the job done.

What the hell are you talking? He got the job done at Minnesota... Before Tubby who ever talked about Minnesota Basketball?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What gives the Coach Cal backers the right to talk about Tubby????

Tubby and Cal both have the same amount of titles - 1. and Cal has had far better talent.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post.
The 98 team was amazing! He had nothing to do with that title. He basically watched a veteran squad win a title.
Could an admin delete my last post? this is what i meant:

They wouldn't have fired him if they didn't think they had a good chance at getting Shaka Smart. But I don't think Smart would leave for Minnesota.

I could see Tubby calling it quits if he doesn't find a position for next season. It's a shame too, cause he's a good coach for a school like Minnesota. A place where football or in this case hockey, comes first and it's nearly impossible to get elite recruits so you have to recruit talent that fits a 4 year mold. Outside of what Clem Haskins did at Minnesota (before he took a wrecking ball to the program), Gophers basketball was on the same level as Hawaii basketball, unknown and irrelevant. Proof: 8 tournament appearances (it's actually 12, but 4 were vacated) since the tournament started in 1939.

There is new life in that program now, so they need to bring in someone that's already proven what they're capable of. Otherwise, it's going right back to hoping they make the NIT
Wonder if UCLA has any interest in Smith.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:The 98 team was amazing! He had nothing to do with that title. He basically watched a veteran squad win a title.
How old were you in '98? If UK wins the title next season after getting the same amount of coaching from Calipari as the '98 team received from Tubby, who will deserve more credit, Coach Cal, or those high school coaches who spent four full years developing their talent? You can't have it both ways. Either give Tubby credit for his title or be prepared to concede that Coach Cal benefits far more from the recruits that he brings in than those players benefit from his coaching.
ekff Wrote:What the hell are you talking? He got the job done at Minnesota... Before Tubby who ever talked about Minnesota Basketball?

A good coach can win anywhere,just look at Gonzaga,Butler,Miami. Its not the location it is the COACH.
BlackBear3 Wrote:Wonder if UCLA has any interest in Smith.

NO!!!!!!!!
I'm very shocked.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:How old were you in '98? If UK wins the title next season after getting the same amount of coaching from Calipari as the '98 team received from Tubby, who will deserve more credit, Coach Cal, or those high school coaches who spent four full years developing their talent? You can't have it both ways. Either give Tubby credit for his title or be prepared to concede that Coach Cal benefits far more from the recruits that he brings in than those players benefit from his coaching.

I honestly believe they told Tubby to set over there act like your doing somthing and we will win you a National Championship:biglmao:
^too bad they didnt do that for Pitino the season before Confusedhh:
insideinfo Wrote:I honestly believe they told Tubby to set over there act like your doing somthing and we will win you a National Championship:biglmao:
Maybe that's what Coach Cal did this season. Whatever he did, it didn't work. Tubby won one more tournament game than Cal did and his team played in the only tournament that matters.
Coach K went 38-47 in his first 3 seasons at Duke, including a 13-29 ACC record. He seems to be doing a very good job now at Duke. Coaches are given up on way to quickly in today's society.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Maybe that's what Coach Cal did this season. Whatever he did, it didn't work. Tubby won one more tournament game than Cal did and his team played in the only tournament that matters.

Im not a big Cal fan either, I use to think when he died he was so crooked they would not have to bury him they could just screw him in the ground.As I have got wiser and he has won a championship i have learn to tolerate him as long as i can mute him when he talks.
Spud6 Wrote:Coach K went 38-47 in his first 3 seasons at Duke, including a 13-29 ACC record. He seems to be doing a very good job now at Duke. Coaches are given up on way to quickly in today's society.

If i'm not mistaken the next three years he won close to 90 games. How many games did Tubby win his last 3 years?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:The 98 team was amazing! He had nothing to do with that title. He basically watched a veteran squad win a title.

You can say the same about any of Cal's teams... Sorry, but Cal has had more talent..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:^too bad they didnt do that for Pitino the season before Confusedhh:

Pitinos EGO is so big he would not listen to them.