Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin County Head Coach 2013
Any ideas on who the new head coach for Magoffin County will be?

I hope the school system uses the same procedures that they used when they recruited Coach McCoy.

They put together a screening and selection committee to find qualified applicants that knew something about running a program and coaching football.

They didn't for the baskeball coach and look how well that turned out this year.
Didn't know Magoffin was looking for an HFC? How did I miss that :igiveup:
KHSAA still shows Chester McCoy
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Didn't know Magoffin was looking for an HFC? How did I miss that :igiveup:

Someone posted in the Magoffin County softball thread that he took the Paintsville football job....I didn't even know Paintsville was looking for a coach
According to what everyone has been told in Magoffin County, Chester's son, Scotty, will be the new Head Coach.

I have always been a supporter of Magoffin County athletics and the young men and women that participate in them. For 55 long years I have sit throught disapointment after disapointment knowing that the few sucesses are worth it. With that, I am disapointed in Mr. Skags in his most recent hires. Robbie Russel as a basketball coach was a blatant disaster and is showing know signs of improvement and Mr. Skags shows no signs of caring.

But this hire may be more disturbing because it touches more young men and boys thoughout the county. Mr. Skags had a chance to do it right. He could have brought an established coach in that has ran successful programs from top to bottom. Some people are even saying that Coach McCoy negotiated his son Scott's job at Magoffin as he was accepting his job at Paintsville. That makes Magoffin County look horrible! I have no doubts that Scotty is a fine young man but he is to young and is not ready for this job. Will he spend the time it takes building the feeder programs? It remains to be seen. Regardless I will support the young Hornets no matter.

Lets hope that Mr. Skags cares about his athletic programs as much as he says he does.
We don't know the internal situation around the hire and what the administration had available to hire. I will agree that it does look suspiscious that they did not even take applications. I have to thank they would have drawn a lot of interest with all of the young talent they had coming up.

With all that said, Lets give Scotty our full support but lets also hold him, the Principal, and the Superintendent, accountable for making sure he is creating a program for our children and grandchildren. We have been accepting medocrity for way to long. Hopefully Scotty will go back and get the guys that helped him and his Dad when Chester first started. That was a great staff and their teams were very fundamental.
I stand by what i already said. Skags could of went to Breathitt County and got any of their assistant coaches and had someone with more experience. This just looks like a hire to fill the position like William Helton did when he was Principal when he hired Gerald Helton, instead of doing whats best for the program.
So is it official that Mcoy's son got Magoffin??
Any confirmed informatio on the Magoffin position???
So any official word on whats going to happen in magoffin???
Proud Hornet, dude u have no idea of anything that u speak of, this is a forum for people that want to talk sports, not for people that want to complain and carry on about the school system, if you want to do that, show up at the next school board meeting and express your opions to them how sorry the system is. As far as the hire of Scotty, there is nothing wrong with that, hes been an assistant coach for seven years, and knows the game quite well and can teach it even better. Honetly, more than likely couldnt hire a better coach for the position. Good luck this season hornets you will be fine.
Strikeout King Wrote:Someone posted in the Magoffin County softball thread that he took the Paintsville football job....I didn't even know Paintsville was looking for a coach

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...aintsville
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
McCoy seems like an ok coach and all,but where did he turn the program around? If you look at the teams he beat and the records each year he was there, they wasn't any major improvement happening. I mean 5-5 season at best while he was there, the teams he beat was like 1A teams and teams with records of 0-10 to best 4-6. Phelps, Betsy Layne, East Ridge, Knott central and Jackson. One year they did beat morgan which during Purnells era I think. Not saying he is bad coach but never seen any big Significance.
Tricky Wrote:Any ideas on who the new head coach for Magoffin County will be?

I hope the school system uses the same procedures that they used when they recruited Coach McCoy.

They put together a screening and selection committee to find qualified applicants that knew something about running a program and coaching football.

They didn't for the baskeball coach and look how well that turned out this year.
From what I hear, coach Russell was the best qualified?? You must not have heard who all actually applied.
Proud Hornet Wrote:According to what everyone has been told in Magoffin County, Chester's son, Scotty, will be the new Head Coach.

I have always been a supporter of Magoffin County athletics and the young men and women that participate in them. For 55 long years I have sit throught disapointment after disapointment knowing that the few sucesses are worth it. With that, I am disapointed in Mr. Skags in his most recent hires. Robbie Russel as a basketball coach was a blatant disaster and is showing know signs of improvement and Mr. Skags shows no signs of caring.

But this hire may be more disturbing because it touches more young men and boys thoughout the county. Mr. Skags had a chance to do it right. He could have brought an established coach in that has ran successful programs from top to bottom. Some people are even saying that Coach McCoy negotiated his son Scott's job at Magoffin as he was accepting his job at Paintsville. That makes Magoffin County look horrible! I have no doubts that Scotty is a fine young man but he is to young and is not ready for this job. Will he spend the time it takes building the feeder programs? It remains to be seen. Regardless I will support the young Hornets no matter.

Lets hope that Mr. Skags cares about his athletic programs as much as he says he does.
First of all spell the principals name right if you are going to bash him...it's Skaggs... He was the best principal I ever had!! He does care about the kids and he will choose who he thinks will do a great job..not who you think...In all coaching positions...AND if you are such a supporter then shut up and support the kids, coaches, and principal!! Your comments are a disgrace to this forum...if you really were concerned or had better solutions to such bad decisions, you would have the guts to go talk to Mr. Skaggs...he is a great guy...you have to be a parent that thinks your child or grandchild is a superstar and the coaches and principal can't see it!! Again, you're a disgrace to this forum and your name. Keep your comments for trashy sites not on here!!!
Mcdaddy, How do you know they didn't take applications?? And Proud Hornet, i heard there are no jobs other than coaching... What I know about school hires, usually you look for someone that has a job in the county first, and knows something about the sport... Doesn't Scotty teach there now? I don't think the board would have let the principal hire someone that they would have to create a job for so going out of county would not have been an option... If he is the coach he has worked with his dad and I'm sure will do fine. AND I agree with you Sportsnutt 100%!!
Not from magoffin but god bless there coaches to put up with some of the parents over there ,I see why McCoy left but he may have left his son in a bad spot. I thave watched them play in all three sports basketball, football, baseball, they are young and getting better. I think support the coaches not stay mad because your son dont get to play enough, but I figure you cant so just keep bitching.
There's two terms in sports that most parents in Magoffin County need to be familiar with, and thats "role player" and 'bench warmer".
Who's Gerald Helton?
Woah,
Didn't know this was going on back home. Good luck Scotty.

Yea some of the parents are awful in Magoffin County. I've umpired some little league baseball back in the day, and it was a nightmare.