Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would your KHSAA class format look like?
nky Wrote:Seems like some are arguing for more classes not less. Why don't we just rotate a trophy or two to make some schools happy since they can't get it done on the field so the state will also award a mythical if private and independent schools didn't play state championship trophy

Sorry some public school can't attach some kids like pirvate school can.
bball_fan:

-- North Hardin Christian isn't a KHSAA member anymore. Never had 11-man football. And would be 1-A in ANY alignment.

-- No Thomas Nelson?

-- No Collins?

-- No South Warren?

-- Nelson County isn't nearly as big as it used to be (split into Thomas Nelson). Neither is Shelby County (split into Collins). Neither is Greenwood (split into South Warren).

-- You'd have Fort Knox in a district with only two close schools (Bardstown, Bethlehem). HOWEVER, it would be closer to MORE schools in District 3 (Campbellsville, Caverna, Green). Or District 4 (Fort Knox borders Jefferson County, therefore Knox is no more than 60 minutes from most of District 4).

-- There's only ONE school in Muhlenberg (Muhlenberg County). Muhlenberg South merged with Muhlenberg North into Muhlenberg County a few years ago.

-- Heath, Reidland and Lone Oak will all be gone soon (2014 or 2015 at latest). Forming one big school (McCracken County), which will be in largest class no matter what.
rebel 4 life Wrote:Sorry some public school can't attach some kids like pirvate school can.
They can but they are unwilling to.
bball_fan Wrote:Should add, I would class all sports like this and keep the sweet 16 tradition going by allowing two teams from each district go to the state tournament but have a class a, aa and aaa tournament.

Class a basketball state championship could be in Pikeville, Corbin or Morehead
Class aa basketball could be in Bowling Green, Murray or Richmond
Class aaa basketball could be in Fort Thomas, Lexington or Louisville
Yes, I know this is a Football thread in the Football forum........ But

The very worst thing the KHSAA Board of Control could ever do is Class Basketball on any level.

I don't even like the regional tournaments being played outside High School gyms.
nky Wrote:They can but they are unwilling to.

County Public Schools can only have kids in their county unless their parents drives them or they transfer so I fail to see how They Can
rebel 4 life Wrote:County Public Schools can only have kids in their county unless their parents drives them or they transfer so I fail to see how They Can
Not in Northern Kentucky.
You're making the rural/urban argument. Where the urban/suburban schools have an unfair advantage over the rural districts
nky Wrote:Not in Northern Kentucky.
You're making the rural/urban argument. Where the urban/suburban schools have an unfair advantage over the rural districts

My Bad nky. I see what u mean. :insane:
sstack Wrote:Fly like a duck, your post said in the long version what I said; you never said the schools did not have the talent, you said that it is hard to get the kids to come out to play football. It would take a coach to come in and change that feeling about football in the school and community. Highlands football is successful because a ton of kids want to play from the time they are 4. Highlands basketball sucks, but according to your beliefs (independent school,large condensed population,good academics, ect) the should be good. The are not because there is little interest and very little off season practice by the ones who do play(one plays AAU ball). The dedication to football in Ft Thomas is crazy and people do not want to believe that. If the Highlands kids put as much work into basketball they would be winning regional titals. You do not see NKY people complain and want to make changes in the basketball format even though only 2 championships have ever made there way up here. We know why that is, more focus is placed on football. To win championships you have to have good coaching, but first it has to be something the kids want and willing to sacrifice to achieve.
Good coaching does not overcome logistical and demographic disadvantages of the rural county schools. Economically disadvantaged kids can walk or catch rides to and from practice in more affluent districts with greater population densities, but in rural areas that is not an option for many kids. I don't think many Highlands fans have a clue when it comes to what it is like to coach football in a rural county high school. There are some parts of Johnson County that are a more than 45 minute drive from Johnson Central, for example. Walking or car pooling is not an option for those kids.
Rural schools are in a disadvantage but you can't have a urban class and rural class
rustyankle Wrote:Rural schools are in a disadvantage but you can't have a urban class and rural class
I agree. My point is that the fans of some successful programs are convinced that any school having coaches and parents as committed to football as their's are could have similar success. Two schools can have the same enrollment and one can have a much smaller pool of potential players to choose from and it has nothing to do with coaching, junior football programs, or the support of parents and fans.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Yes, I know this is a Football thread in the Football forum........ But

The very worst thing the KHSAA Board of Control could ever do is Class Basketball on any level.

I don't even like the regional tournaments being played outside High School gyms.

I agree with you that classifying basketball would be the worst thing the BOC could do. However, if we are talking fairness to the kids in their quest to win a state championship, which seems to be the underlying theme of this thread, then you can't take classifying basketball out of the discussion.

The simple fact is that at a lot of the rural county schools, football has been neglected for decades upon decades. Due to growth in the popularity of the game, football is now receiving a lot more attention in those rural county schools. Which on one hand is great. On the other hand, it's not so great. In our "I have a right to have it and have it now" society, people are ignoring that the successful football schools are, for the most part, those that have placed a huge emphasis on football for a long time. A lot of the folks upset with the private and independents winning too many football championships think that because their school is now placing an emphasis, maybe a huge emphasis on football for the last 5 or even 10 years, they should be winning state championships in football. And if they aren't, the folks think that something is wrong or unfair.

Nothing is wrong or unfair. I could blow up the server for this site discussing in detail the advantages and disadvantages of public vs private; rural vs urban; county vs independent schools. Folks, it will never be perfect for every one, every school, in every circumstance. Such an effort would be analogous to Quixote chasing windmills.

Yeah, we could separate those successful programs from those that neglected football for decades but I don't think that is the right thing to do. I"m not of the "give everyone a trophy" mentality. To win a state championship, rural county schools will have to work harder to catch up. And I'm not just talking the kids working harder (not just some of the players; all the players). The coaches, administration, community, boosters and football fans of those schools will have to work harder to catch up. Personally I think the current playoffs helps create the environment to make that happen. But it will take patience; a quality that is sadly lacking in today's society.
charlie22 Wrote:I agree with you that classifying basketball would be the worst thing the BOC could do. However, if we are talking fairness to the kids in their quest to win a state championship, which seems to be the underlying theme of this thread, then you can't take classifying basketball out of the discussion.

The simple fact is that at a lot of the rural county schools, football has been neglected for decades upon decades. Due to growth in the popularity of the game, football is now receiving a lot more attention in those rural county schools. Which on one hand is great. On the other hand, it's not so great. In our "I have a right to have it and have it now" society, people are ignoring that the successful football schools are, for the most part, those that have placed a huge emphasis on football for a long time. A lot of the folks upset with the private and independents winning too many football championships think that because their school is now placing an emphasis, maybe a huge emphasis on football for the last 5 or even 10 years, they should be winning state championships in football. And if they aren't, the folks think that something is wrong or unfair.

Nothing is wrong or unfair. I could blow up the server for this site discussing in detail the advantages and disadvantages of public vs private; rural vs urban; county vs independent schools. Folks, it will never be perfect for every one, every school, in every circumstance. Such an effort would be analogous to Quixote chasing windmills.

Yeah, we could separate those successful programs from those that neglected football for decades but I don't think that is the right thing to do. I"m not of the "give everyone a trophy" mentality. To win a state championship, rural county schools will have to work harder to catch up. And I'm not just talking the kids working harder (not just some of the players; all the players). The coaches, administration, community, boosters and football fans of those schools will have to work harder to catch up. Personally I think the current playoffs helps create the environment to make that happen. But it will take patience; a quality that is sadly lacking in today's society.
I agree with pretty much everything you said above, Charlie. I am not advocating any kind of sliding scale class where there is any subjective fiddling with the classes based on any school's advantages or disadvantage. All I am saying is that fans of schools like Highlands should realize that not all of their formula for success is replicable at rural county schools that face an entirely different set of circumstances. There are also schools with similar circumstances that could have similar success with similar commitment.

A class system based on male enrollment is as fair a system as anything could be but a fair system does not and should not guarantee everybody a trophy. Economic and geographic differences among schools in the same class will always exist but some sort of affirmative action program for poor, rural school systems would be the worst thing that the KHSAA could implement. Champions are supposed to overcome obstacles and if that means winning one championship every 50 years, then so be it. The team that wins that championship will never be forgotten.
Iroqois playing in a district with Central & PRP makes no sense at all . then put a school like Doss in a lower class. Lack of knowledge regarding Jefferson County is obvious