Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knott County Central 68 - Clay County 54
Good win pats
Knot was clearly the better team. Lyttle had 5 touches at best and only had 3 points. Clay completely abandoned their game and let McDaniel shoot them out of the game. Great win by Knott though, and Justice is a heck of a player.
Clay's troubles started when McDaniel went off the ball. Way too many 3's. Good looks, but they just didn't fall. Congrats to the Tigers and congrats to Knott! Good luck the rest of the way Patriots.
Knott will have to play just about a perfect game to beat Ballard but it can be done.
Good win by Knott tonight. Justice played well after the first quarter. I think Christian played really well early for Knott and got them started. I hate to see 2 mountain schools play each other in the first round because I am always for mountain teams in the tourney. Congrats to Clay co on a great season and to Coach Marcum for getting his team to Rupp.
EKY, the majority of the game McDaniel had the ball in his hands. McDaniel's shot wasn't falling and yet they still try to run the defense through him. Knott really controlled the pace making Clay play completely out of their comfort zone.
Yes and the offense should always be ran through him. He took too many 3's but hey, he was open. Lyttle was not in the flow or was Bowling. McDaniel absolutely broke KCC down the first quarter and then he moved off the ball and the Tigers went ice cold. Oh well, glad to be here. We'll be back! Go Clay!!
They'll be back, but I don't know about next year. McDaniel and an average JV team is all that's left at this point. McDaniel is good enough to keep them in the mix.
I'd go with Knox Central as the favorite at this point. They beat Clay last year and have four pretty good players returning. Bell has the best senior class next year and Knox or Harlan County have the best group of juniors.
Add Trey Farmer to Clay's roster. Yes, Richie's son. He'll be a sophomore next year.
new guy Wrote:I hate to see 2 mountain schools play each other in the first round because I am always for mountain teams in the tourney.

While at first, that was exactly my thoughts I refrained because it guarantees one mountain school advancing. If they didn't play each other, there's always the possibility that no mountain teams advance to the Elite 8.
Congrats on the win and Justice is the real deal.
ya chip was a ball hog the old saying go's 2 for 17 from the 3 wow shoot 24 times i think and a know show for bowling and a T to go with it littie never touch the ball but o'well may be another 12 year's befor they get back but nice season for the tiger's

my top preseason teams.
knox
bell
jackson
north
middlesboro

Clay may not get out of the district....
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Clay's troubles started when McDaniel went off the ball. Way too many 3's. Good looks, but they just didn't fall. Congrats to the Tigers and congrats to Knott! Good luck the rest of the way Patriots.

Sometimes you just have an off game. McDaniel shot about 70% from 3 point line the night they played Harlan Co. He was MVP of that tournament, and it was deserved!!
Great win for the Patriots!!!!

Rep The 14th Region Well!!!!
Congrats to KCC. Congrats to Tigers on a great season.
Too many 3's early in the offensive set which allowed KCC to find a person to box out. KCC outrebounded them and was far more patient in their sets. Clay never took the ball to the basket until the game was decided.
Good job shutting Clay Down tonight. This old tiger will now switch gears and pull for my Appalachian Mountain Brethren, the Knott Co. Central Patriots. Represent us well please.
I remember last year people saying Clay wouldn't get out of district. Bad news for the rest of the region teams are going to have to deal with McDaniel for 2 more years. Clay will reload. I won't say much more. You can add Trey Farmer to the roster though. He's probably 6'4 210 and the son of the legend.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:I remember last year people saying Clay wouldn't get out of district. Bad news for the rest of the region teams are going to have to deal with McDaniel for 2 more years. Clay will reload. I won't say much more. You can add Trey Farmer to the roster though. He's probably 6'4 210 and the son of the legend.

Getting out of the 49th is pretty tough unless you have the No. 1 seed. I didn't think they would miss the region, but it would have been possible if they hadn't won those close games against Jackson. I had them No. 2 or No. 3 in the region coming into the year. I had them No. 1 a couple of times when they didn't make it though.
I heard Farmer may move last year. Where did he play last season?
It sounds like you agree, without saying it, that Clay would have a hard time winning the region without adding help.
Nice season Tigers, you got us back there and that's all that matters for now. Thank you.

As for McDaniel, get off his case. As Granny Bear said he absolutely stroked the other night. He shot a solid percentage all season. None of these boys had never even played at Rupp. Knott Central had the experience there (and although they are actually younger) are a heck of a ball club and the best team in the mountains for 2013. That being said, Clay County will go down as my number 2. They took a 6'3" center with 2 years experience, some veterans, and sophomore star and road it to Rupp. What more can you ask for?

And if you don't have Clay County in your top 3 preseason you are fooling yourself. The Tigers have one of the top 3 athletes in the mountains in my opinion in Wes Wolfe who gets better every time he steps on the floor. Blake Smith will be a year older. Who's to say there's not another Marty Bowling walking around that school? The addition of Farmer to go along with the number 1 player in the region. Get over yourselves. Knox Central should be number 1. We'll worry about that later though. It's only begun my friends. Got to start somewhere.
HDE I'd put Clay preseason #4 or 5, with the addition to Farmer. He did not play this year as there was family issues involved. If McDaniel hits the weight room this summer he's going to be unguardable in the moutains. I'm hearing a lot of transfer possibilities but I won't address that at this time. I'm not a big fan of it but it is becoming more and more common. I'd give Knox preseason edge but as long as Evans is coaching they may never make any noise.
Proud of the Tigers!
Clay has some unfinished business, but Sweet to be Back on Top!
McDaniel took a lot of 3's, but most of them was late in the game. McDaniel is a great player and will be the top guard in the 13th the next two years. I would also put him in the top 3 guards in the mountains next year, along with Justice and Beverly. I thought maybe Clay should have went more to Lyttle, he was a hard guard for any big man in the 13th. I also believe he could have been for Knott Co. as well because of his quickness. Congrats to the Tigers on a good season.