Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of Basic fundamentals?
As a fan of 15th region basketball I have noticed one major thing, a lack of basic skills.
Who do we blame this on?
Are the middle school coachs doing enough to prepare the players today?
The NBA?
Thoughts?
Doc i totally agree with you. Players, especially this season, don't seem to have it like previous years.
I think it does stem from the middle school level. There if a coach has one good player, then tht guy will be the person who usually takes all the shots, handles the ball, etc... Well what about the other players? In middle school players are suppose to learn how to play the game. From watching many high school games I have noticed many players don't know how...
It kills me that if you are tall, middle schoolers are made centers without being shown how to rebound or to blockout. You see them jump.
The art of dribbling with both hands or making a right or left hand layup.
How can this happen.
Yeah fully agree i know that Johns Creek old coach Chad Thompson had no idea how to coach according to the players and coach this year the players didnt even know what a defencive slid was and that is from 12 8th graders thats kinda ridiculos if u ask me nor did they know what a Pick and Role was.
The problem with fundamentals goes back a few years, it starts with young players playing 800 AAU and pee wee games a year and not practicing enough and it ends with players not being able to take constructive criticism nor ever working on their game on their own.
And each player getting a trophy or award.
Use of no scoreboard?

All good points.

What are some thoughts as to how to correct it.
"Doc Holliday" Wrote:And each player getting a trophy or award.
Use of no scoreboard?

All good points.

What are some thoughts as to how to correct it.
HS coaches MUST get down to the feeder school level and make sure fundamentals are being taught...I have heard several HS coaches this year say they have freshman on their teams that don't know the simplest of fundamentals.
Quote:HS coaches MUST get down to the feeder school level and make sure fundamentals are being taught...

Pike Central started doing this last year sending Coach Kevin Deskins down to Johns Creek and that team totaly changed around it added PC offence and is getting them ready for PC that JC team had 12 8th graders.
Doc, I think it even starts earlier the middle school. In jr pro, aau, and elementary school. Most of these coaches have kids that play on that team and that is their concern teaching their kid and not the team. I have been one to always think the way to teach young kids is basic fundementals, like dribbling, the art of passing (bounce, chest, etc), posting, blocking out, how to rebound, free throws. So much is on shooting and scoring and they don't teach the rest. I like what some high school coaches have done and that is summer clinics for youth. I do think the HS coaches should be involved with middle coaches for help and guidance.
I think the lack of fundamentals comes from a long line of things:

5.) All me , No Team
4.) Drugs
3.) Bad Attitudes
2.) Poor grade school coaching
1.) And it seems nobody wants to make themselves better... LACK OF HEART
"Hurley" Wrote:I think the lack of fundamentals comes from a long line of things:

5.) All me , No Team
4.) Drugs
3.) Bad Attitudes
2.) Poor grade school coaching
1.) And it seems nobody wants to make themselves better... LACK OF HEART

i agree, but you forgot playstation and x-box... you cant learn fundamental playing against kobe and shaq
Computers
Lack of discipline
NBA
Sporstcenter
AAU
Coaching
All very good points Hurley
PRACTICE?!?!?!?!

Man..... we talkin bout practice.... it aint even a real game.
Lack of basic fundamentals is nothing but the players. The fundamentals of basketball I know are taught in practice. That's not a question. But one thing players try to do these days is tend to listen to their parents more than the coaching staff. If a parent puts something through a kids head, then they tend to listen. Also, the And1 mixtape tour hasn't helped much either with the behind the back passes, the off the head moves. Whatever happened to the basic chest and bounce pass? It's virtually unseen anymore and I think it has alot to do with the tour that is on TV.