Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Holcomb hired as Letcher Central Head Coach
Altro Cat Wrote:About 99.999999999% sure it will be Kyle Moore. Already on staff and working at the school.

Like KM, but JH would be my choice as a business decision with no emotional mumbo-jumbo. Football brings in a lot of money and should be treated as a business as far as Coaching seaches IMO.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Like KM, but JH would be my choice as a business decision with no emotional mumbo-jumbo. Football brings in a lot of money and should be treated as a business as far as Coaching seaches IMO.

Football EXPENDS a lot of money. There's nowhere in Ky. that it
brings in anything approaching its cost.
Is the man gone yet or not? And if not when is he leaving?
Congrats if it's a done deal. Be fun to see what he can do there. Beautiful facility and great coach!
Wonder what class he will teaching basket weaving or spinning?
Why has this not been announced yet if it is a done deal?
Specifics of contract.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
How long do the kids at Breathitt have to wait until they can be told the truth? If he took the position he needs to man up and tell them the truth.:football::
Observing Wrote:Football EXPENDS a lot of money. There's nowhere in Ky. that it
brings in anything approaching its cost.

This is a silly comment! With the economy the way it is do you think the schools and State and the comunities would put up with it if that were true.
Football as is any sport in High School is considered a luxury and not a necessity for an education. IF the schools were losing money on football every year they would get rid of the football program. Take the county of Lawrence where I live for an example. This is a poor county for the standards of this state. This town,county,and school board have cut everything they can think of to save money but yet the football program still stands. Why do you think these schools go out and hire big name coaches and build big new nice turf fields?....... its because they know that with a better coach and better facitities they get better players and that='s more wins and that ='s more games and that ='s more money made. I promise you they don't do all of that stuff to lose money! "Just Silly"
The sole reason that many schools have the "minor" athletic programs within their school is because of Football and Basketball.

Largely, a school's athletic "budget" is made from game gate receipts. Of these gate receipts, football and basketball (boys and girls) account for roughly 80% or more.

I know of one school (for a fact) who brought in 55K in gate receipts last year, of that 55K, 23K of it was from football.

Football does just fine. Helmets have a 10 year life (as stated by the helmet manufacturers), and shoulder pads often have have about the same.

If football was given the cut they actually bring in, you'd see a lot more football programs a lot better off financially, but you'd also have some sports that wouldn't exist (or if they wanted to exist, it would be solely off of funds raised through their specific booster club).
I figure this week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Wymt has confirm that Letcher Central and Mike Holcomb are finalizing deal. This is per Derek Forester
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Heard tonight he has turned in his resignation to the school board and that its a done deal. Just hashing out the details. Best of luck to coach.
Still waiting on official word. Hopefully it shouldn't take long.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Great hire
cougarpride08 Wrote:Still waiting on official word. Hopefully it shouldn't take long.

Still debating on if he drives a Escalade or a Lincoln Town Car is what I heard.
Congrats on the hire. Hopefully he can turn around a team that has been on a steady decline for last few years. Will he have a say on his entire coaching staff?
kentuckynole Wrote:Still debating on if he drives a Escalade or a Lincoln Town Car is what I heard.

Man sour grapes must really taste like crap doesn't it. No other coach has a Escalator or Town Car. I think being a teacher for 30+ years and a state champ coach he can afford his own vehicle. Give it up man! If you want to blame someone blame the sneaky hands that misused county school funds. They are the reason he is leaving.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

SPORTS FAN 101 Wrote:Congrats on the hire. Hopefully he can turn around a team that has been on a steady decline for last few years. Will he have a say on his entire coaching staff?

I would say yes. It will be his call.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

The coach should just tell the kids instead of making them wonder and wait about their next season.
cougarpride08 Wrote:If you want to blame someone blame the sneaky hands that misused county school funds. They are the reason he is leaving.

Oddly enough, misuse of funds isnt' the main reason the supt and board members went to jail, nor is it the reason the state came in and took over management of the system. The state came in because of consistently low test scores and all the FBI indictments and convictions unrelated to school business.

Nobody but Holcomb knows the real reason, but you can bet that the current environment of state management and their dim view of the prevailing sports culture here at BCS made his decision an easy one.
Still no word on when this will be confirmed? LCC returns alot of talent and with the right motivation and coaching this good be a pretty good season for the cougars. The hiring of Holcomb would bring alot of enthusiasm to a program that is suffering. When will schedules be made and posted on the KHSAA web site? I understand our schedule should be alot more enjoyable to look at than last year. Some wins would definitely help everyone involved. I know people say a tough schedule will help you in the post season, but I dont think our schedule last year helped us at all!!!
cougarpride08 Wrote:Man sour grapes must really taste like crap doesn't it. No other coach has a Escalator or Town Car. I think being a teacher for 30+ years and a state champ coach he can afford his own vehicle. Give it up man! If you want to blame someone blame the sneaky hands that misused county school funds. They are the reason he is leaving.

I doubt any coach has an escalator but that would be cool in your house. I am sure that the coaches or athletic director has a gas card or maybe get to drive the school system vehicles.
Is Holcomb the coach yet?
Guys still waiting for the school to "officially" name him coach through press conference. Still a lot of things they are doing to get this done. I don't know what all they have to do, and that makes me worried.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Signed contract today. Will be introduced after girl's tournament. Did not want to interfer with the excitement of the girl's basketball team preparing to go to the state tournament.
Trust Me Wrote:Oddly enough, misuse of funds isnt' the main reason the supt and board members went to jail, nor is it the reason the state came in and took over management of the system. The state came in because of consistently low test scores and all the FBI indictments and convictions unrelated to school business.

Nobody but Holcomb knows the real reason, but you can bet that the current environment of state management and their dim view of the prevailing sports culture here at BCS made his decision an easy one.

The state started managing Breathitt County schools because of "a series of questionable leadership decisions".

Mostly because of the carousel of superintendents and the fact that they ousted the last one at a last minute board meeting during a football game.
zaga_fan Wrote:The state started managing Breathitt County schools because of "a series of questionable leadership decisions".

Mostly because of the carousel of superintendents and the fact that they ousted the last one at a last minute board meeting during a football game.

The state is managing right now because of the last superintendent that was ousted during a last minute board meeting. Just can't treat people the way she treated people.
Got a text from a player that he was at the field house today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Congrats Letcher Central. Great hire.