Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What 14th Region players could start at Alice Lloyd?
Everyone talks D1 all the time in the 14th Region. I looked at Alice Lloys roster online yesterday. They have 5 or 6 guys 6'7 or bigger. One guy looked 7 foot. How many guys in the 14th could start for ALC if they were there right now? My opinion is not many.
Good point, and something ive thought of quite a bit.
A lot of people tend to overlook NAIA level and D2 level and automatically think a player can go to a D1 school, however, when you look at things, Its hard to find a mountain player any year that could go to Cumberlands, Gtown, or Pikeville and start right away, and IMO, to go to a good D1 school, they should have enough talent to start at that level in the frosh year.
Braxton Beverly
Camron Justice
Dalton Cornett
Justin Johnson

Rock I'm actually glad you brought this up...hopefully we get some interesting replies.
Big thing people forget is how much a player develops or is supposed to once he gets in a college program. Another thing is a hs player is 15-18. A college player is 19-23. Makes a huge difference. There are some NAIA teams in the state, LWC, UPike, UC, GTown that probably only Justin Johnson could start for... right now. Justice, as good as he is, would have to fit a role. Not saying 4-5 yrs from now he couldn't start at a D1 program. And Beverly would be an extreme liability defensively. But then again, he's a freshman in hs. Way too early to judge him and say he won't be able to.
The level of talent at that level is a lot higher than what people would think.

I can remember playing at the sportsplex one day and Alice Lloyd's team came up there to play and laid waste to everyone that played em.
A lot of kids and people around here look down on Alice Lloyd. In reality, its a great place to get a FREE EDUCATION and to keep on playing the games you love like basketball and baseball which are on a MUCH HIGHER Level as compared to high school sports. And kids from this region, can get in their car and go see family any time they want to. This is a great school with an academics program that is second to none. I just dont understand the D1 talk all the time. I doubt any player in this region could go average a double double over there right now. I dont even think Johnson is physical enough to play over Alice Lloyd right now. He wouldnt be jammin on the 6'8 and 6'10 guys over there so easily. But dont get me wrong, I hope JJ goes to the NBA some day.
Alice Lloyd is a good school but there athletics are not very good. Loosing records every year in just about every sport they have. Sorry but it's the truth. Pretty good school academics.
outsidein Wrote:Alice Lloyd is a good school but there athletics are not very good. Loosing records every year in just about every sport they have. Sorry but it's the truth. Pretty good school academics.

Take the best players around here and put them on one team...
they would struggle against Alice Lloyd.
Cameron Justice
Braxton Beverly
Justin Johnson
Chris Hudson
Dalton Cornett
Josh Hollan

I know schools that are recruiting all these players....Yeah ALC has some bigs but not all bigs are good....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hot Sauce could start anyday!!!
3 Players

G - Cameron Justice
G - Emanuel Owootoah
F - Justin Johnson
Yeah EKFF, how good would the Bigs you have listed be against Bigs that you dont consider very good over at ALC? I'd say they stack up well against one another. Johnson does has a lot of potential to improve though. I think everyone needs to jump off the D1 bandwagon though. If they get a D1 scholly then good for them. If they get a scholly anywhere, we should all be proud. D1, D1, D1, D1, D1, D1, D1.
Notable Players in NAIA level (Past & Present).....

Tate Cox - JBS/Knott Central
Clark Stepp - JBS
Justin Hicks - Hazard
Josh Whitaker - Hazard
Stuart Stamper - Knott Central
Curveball 24 Wrote:Notable Players in NAIA level (Past & Present).....

Tate Cox - JBS/Knott Central
Clark Stepp - JBS
Justin Hicks - Hazard
Josh Whitaker - Hazard
Stuart Stamper - Knott Central

Add Matt Day to the list.
zaga_fan Wrote:Add Matt Day to the list.

Wrong. Wise made the jump to D2 and has had a great deal of success. Saw where Day had a double-double early in the year against an upset of a top 20 team.
Apologizes to you zaga. I spoke too soon. They are moving to D2. My bad.
You could make an all star team of mountain players every single year, and theyd get destroyed by Cumberland, an all state team would as well.
The_Rock Wrote:Yeah EKFF, how good would the Bigs you have listed be against Bigs that you dont consider very good over at ALC? I'd say they stack up well against one another. Johnson does has a lot of potential to improve though. I think everyone needs to jump off the D1 bandwagon though. If they get a D1 scholly then good for them. If they get a scholly anywhere, we should all be proud. D1, D1, D1, D1, D1, D1, D1.

Well, all I know is I've played against the whole ALC team a few times in men's league in the summers... Justin Johnson would be just fine...

And add Justin Jones (Asbury) - Hazard, to the list... He's Asbury's all-time shot blocker now... And they beat ALC all the time..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit and Run Wrote:Apologizes to you zaga. I spoke too soon. They are moving to D2. My bad.

You're good.
I speak too soon all the time Wink
UVa-Wise is still NAIA this year right? Are they moving D2 next year?
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:UVa-Wise is still NAIA this year right? Are they moving D2 next year?

Yes, Wise is going D2. Saw last week where the conference was approved by the NCAA. I thought they had already went and were playing as an independent because I saw they had Bellarmine and Lincoln Memorial on their schedule.
How is Matt Day season going? Anyone know???
Curveball 24 Wrote:How is Matt Day season going? Anyone know???

He was averaging about 15 per game earlier in the season.
#0 at cordia, justice, and johnson all 3 could start for alc.
Beverly and Johnson would make Alice Lloyd a contender
Most teams in the 14th region could beat Alice LLoyd so I say at least 15 to 20 players.
Ballboy you are pure ignorant. It shows that you have never played any organized sports in your life. Go over to Pippa Passes and watch them play and your dumb idiot perception will change. God you are stupid.
As someone else said, I think it is important to remember not all bigs are good.

ALC has THREE freshman bigs on their roster who are from Kentucky. I am not as up on high school ball statewide as many of you but I know who the big recruits are and none of those three at ALC were. I am confident Johnson could handle those three pretty well.

The kid who seems to play alot - Muse - may be another story.
Also, have to remember that some of those guys WERE D1 level players. I mean Setty over at UPike was at least offered a preferred walk-on spot at OK State. Not saying he would or wouldn't have played but it isn't like he had ZERO interest from higher level schools.