Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd goes with John Gilliam
http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...th-Gilliam

Hope he can continue doing what Brooks had started.
If he continues to lose, then he will have a short tenure as well.
Boyd County was 5-6 under Brooks, with wins over Shelby Valley (3-8), East Carter (2-8), Magoffin (4-7), Greenup (0-10) and West Carter (0-10) with combined records of 9-43. I would expect much more from the new coach than that.
I agree they were and have been weak for decades, what I meant is seeing Brooks at the JFL fields during practices and games passing things out to their coaches on what he'd like taught, then seeing him do the same thing for middle school also. He understood this was a ground up project, total rebuild was needed.
Is Gilliam bringing his son (who plays for Rowan Co.) with him? Also, heard the rumor that may be bringing other Rowan players and that several of them are transferring to other area schools? One has definitely already left.
He said in the article in the link his son was staying at Rowan county for now.
blue rainbow Wrote:Is Gilliam bringing his son (who plays for Rowan Co.) with him? Also, heard the rumor that may be bringing other Rowan players and that several of them are transferring to other area schools? One has definitely already left.

Who has left? I thought they had a good core returning and had the potential for a good year.
Good luck. Guys that have played for him seem to like him.
thecoacher Wrote:Who has left? I thought they had a good core returning and had the potential for a good year.

I heard that the Estill kid has already left and that a couple more have been talking about tranferring to a neighboring county...also heard that Gilliams son is staying at Rowan for his senior year..
blue rainbow Wrote:I heard that the Estill kid has already left and that a couple more have been talking about tranferring to a neighboring county...also heard that Gilliams son is staying at Rowan for his senior year..

The Estill kid is a good lineman. If he leaves that will hurt them. I have heard the same about Gilliam. It would be hard to get him eligible since the parents are not moving to Boyd.
I have not heard about any other transfers. What neighboring school would they go to? Bath, Morgan, Fleming, Lewis, or West Carter????
Gilliam's son would have no problem with eligibility....KHSAA can make exceptions whenever they want based on the individual's case and a dad taking a coaching job is a very good case (ie - Lance Evans/Lee Evans)....regardless, the kid (for now) is staying where he is. He has a girlfriend and some life-long friends there. But if he would change his mind, I'm sure the Lions' family would welcome him with open arms!:Cheerlead:Clap:
thecoacher Wrote:The Estill kid is a good lineman. If he leaves that will hurt them. I have heard the same about Gilliam. It would be hard to get him eligible since the parents are not moving to Boyd.
I have not heard about any other transfers. What neighboring school would they go to? Bath, Morgan, Fleming, Lewis, or West Carter????

Estill kid moved to Montgomery County .. Gilliam would be eligible since father is coaching at Boyd...but heard that mother will not let him move schools.. (she works for rowan co).. I have heard there was some interest of 2 players transferring to Morgan Co ... but only if they were given starting positions...all of this was supposedly placed on Facebook or Twitter by the kids... don't you just love social media!!!:eyeroll:
blue rainbow Wrote:Estill kid moved to Montgomery County .. Gilliam would be eligible since father is coaching at Boyd...but heard that mother will not let him move schools.. (she works for rowan co).. I have heard there was some interest of 2 players transferring to Morgan Co ... but only if they were given starting positions...all of this was supposedly placed on Facebook or Twitter by the kids... don't you just love social media!!!:eyeroll:

That doesn't sound good for Rowan (aside from keeping Gilliam).
Gilliam is a good man and a fine Coach. He doesn't have a magic wand so patience will be required by fans and admin folks. Boyd has been medium for a while. Given time to implement and improve strength training programs, a culture of pride and winning - Boyd will be glad they got him.
Great choice for a Coach. I played at MSU under Gilliam. Great man for the Job.