Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr Basketball (2012-2013)
Which individual player, do you think will be rewarded the crown of KY HS Basketball this season?

Willis-Bullitt East

Troutman -Bullitt East

Hawkins - Madison Central

Prewitt - Montgomery

Quick -Trinity

Others?
Also add Quinten Snider and Kelan Martin from Ballard
^

Seniors only...Both very good players but both only JRs. Look for those names next season, especially Snider!
I have seen them all play...

My vote would be for Hawkins (Madison Central)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quick? I have seen a bunch of games and the top Seniors I've seen are Willis,Troutman,Hawkins,Prewitt,Bosley,Payne,Holland,McREYNOLDS,Marshall,Morton... That's the top ten I've seen personally!! I've watched Hicks 4 times and he has done absolutely nothing each time I've watched him so he's out for me!
MVP2 Wrote:^

Seniors only...Both very good players but both only JRs. Look for those names next season, especially Snider!

Wow I hadn't really paid attention to what grade they are in! They're both very good!
Hawkins from Madison Central.
If I had a vote it would go to the Prewitt kid from Montgomery Co.
Same here...I think Montgomery wins the 10th and makes a deep run,Prewitt will win it. If not than Derek Willis. JMO
Prewitt should pull a bunch of votes from that area, much like when a mountain team has a great player. It is hard for a kid from Lexington or Louisville to win at times because there are so many good players to vote for.
Do you think Willis has an advantage being a UK signee? ALA Darius Miller over Scotty Hopsen? Personally I liked Miller better, but I'm a UK fan.
I think one of the coolest things about this award is that a player can get hot in the Sweet Sixteen and lo and behold he's Mr. Basketball. So many times that's when it's all decided. There is so much parity in so many regions that alot of really good players may not get to the Big Dance. MVP2 I have not seen Montgomery Co. play this season. How good is the Prewitt kid and by a deep run do you mean they have a legit shot to win it all?I do think that Willis and Hawkins are the two best players that I've seen.
Derek Willis has to win but if Bullitt East don't make the sixteen it will hurt him!!!
I think Willis will win it...
but I don't think that he is the best at all.
Quick
^ Anyone won Mr Football and Mr Basketball in the same year?
Derek Willis - Bullitt East
Rusty Troutman - Bullitt East
Darryl Hicks - Tinity
James Quick - Trinity
Dominque Hawkins - Madison Central
Omar Prewitt - Montgomery County

IMO, Quentin Snider is the best player in the state
Do you HAVE to be a senior to win this award? LeBron James won it 3/4 years, but of course he was a stud ... Just wondering
They're all deserving!! Great players!
What about the kid from Pulaski Co.? He has a good chance of being 1st team all-state.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Do you HAVE to be a senior to win this award? LeBron James won it 3/4 years, but of course he was a stud ... Just wondering

it varies from state to state, Mr & Ms sports awards in kentucky are voted by the Kentucky AP and each state sets it's own guidelines. It's not an official rule, but the AP does everything they can to make sure it's a senior first. Ohio gives it to the best player. Lebon James won multiple times in basketball, Robert Smith and Erick Howard won multiple times for football, they've even had a tie for Mr. Basketball once. the Kentucky AP hasn't released the criteria for winning it, but it's done by vote
Kyle Skaggs?
-Russell High
toussaints Wrote:it varies from state to state, Mr & Ms sports awards in kentucky are voted by the Kentucky AP and each state sets it's own guidelines. It's not an official rule, but the AP does everything they can to make sure it's a senior first. Ohio gives it to the best player. Lebon James won multiple times in basketball, Robert Smith and Erick Howard won multiple times for football, they've even had a tie for Mr. Basketball once. the Kentucky AP hasn't released the criteria for winning it, but it's done by vote

Umm, some clarifications:

1) FOOTBALL is the ONLY sport in Kentucky that The Associated Press decides who is Mr./Miss Whatever. COACHES pick Mr. Basketball and Miss Basketball. COACHES also pick Mr. Baseball, Miss Softball, Mr./Miss Soccer, Miss Volleyball.

2) Mr. Basketball MUST be a senior. Yes, it IS an official rule. Mr. Basketball is also guaranteed a spot on the Kentucky-Indiana All-Star game(s) and wears the No. 1 jersey.

Although not posted by you, per se:

3) Mr. and Miss Golf are NOT voted on. At all. There is a scoring system based on certain major tournaments. Lydia Gumm of North Hardin won it six times yet never won the state tournament.

4) Steffphon Pettigrew (Elizabethtown HS/WKU signee) won Mr. Basketball and his team did NOT even make it to region. Let alone state. So that might not hurt Willis (Bullitt East) as some might think.
Curtis Pulley won both. He wasn't the best football player though two of the best players ended up splitting votes considering they were about 5 mins from each other. Basketball wise though never seen him play so I don't know how good he was there.
cctiger Wrote:Curtis Pulley won both. He wasn't the best football player though two of the best players ended up splitting votes considering they were about 5 mins from each other. Basketball wise though never seen him play so I don't know how good he was there.

Pulley WON Mr. Basketball?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Mr._Basketball

1990 Dwayne Morton Central Louisville 1994 NBA Draft: 2nd round, 45th overall by the Golden State Warriors
1991 Jermaine Brown Fairdale Georgetown (KY)
1992 Tick Rogers Hart County Louisville
1993 Jason Osborne Male Louisville
1994 Elton Scott Marion County West Virginia
1995 Charles Thomas Harlan[10] Eastern Kentucky
1996 Daymeon Fishback Greenwood Auburn
1997 Brandon Davenport Owensboro Lindsey Wilson
1998 J. R. VanHoose Paintsville Marshall
1999 Rick Jones Scott County Murray State
2000 Scott Hundley Scott County Vanderbilt
2001 Josh Carrier Bowling Green Kentucky
2002 Brandon Stockton Glasgow Kentucky
2003 Ross Neltner Ft. Thomas Highlands Vanderbilt
2004 Chris Lofton Mason County Tennessee 2007 SEC Player of the Year
2005 Domonic Tilford Jeffersontown South Alabama
2006 Walt Allen South Laurel Asbury
2007 Steffphon Pettigrew Elizabethtown Western Kentucky University
2008 Darius Miller Mason County Kentucky 2012 National Champion 2012 NBA Draft: 2nd round, 46th overall by the New Orleans Hornets
2009 Jon Hood Madisonville-North Hopkins Kentucky 2012 National Champion
2010 Elisha Justice Shelby Valley Louisville/Pikeville
2011 Anthony Hickey Christian County LSU
2012 Nathan Dieudonne Trinity Boston U.
Emmanuel Owootoah might as well win it the was everybody is going crazy after him!!!
cksportsfan Wrote:Umm, some clarifications:

1) FOOTBALL is the ONLY sport in Kentucky that The Associated Press decides who is Mr./Miss Whatever. COACHES pick Mr. Basketball and Miss Basketball. COACHES also pick Mr. Baseball, Miss Softball, Mr./Miss Soccer, Miss Volleyball.

2) Mr. Basketball MUST be a senior. Yes, it IS an official rule. Mr. Basketball is also guaranteed a spot on the Kentucky-Indiana All-Star game(s) and wears the No. 1 jersey.

thanks for clearing that up, I only knew the Ohio system and thought Kentucky followed the same guidelines as football.
MVP2 Wrote:^ Anyone won Mr Football and Mr Basketball in the same year?

No, Jermaine Brown came close though in 91
Lonell Dewalt - Warren Central 2004
Was worthy of both awards!!!
THE WORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hear cordia has 3 or 4 players up for the award.