Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County 68 Jackson County 67
Great game in Clay County tonight. Jackson County played a great game but lost control at the end and CC took advantage.

McDaniel had a heck of a 4th quarter but the Fox kid looked like the best player in the region. Controlled the game in every phase until JC started to stall. Could've had 40 if he looked to score.

Should be a battle when they meet again at Jackson County.
No disrespect, if Fox looked like the best player in the region, we are in trouble in the world of basketball. Lawson was hands down Jackson County's best player. Yes, Jackson played probably their best game all year, had Clay County by the neck. But when push came to shove that holding the ball stuff goes out of the window. It does nothing if you don't score. Clay County just eased their way back into the game on the back of McDaniel. I didn't wanna be "that guy" but I had too. The extra curricular stuff after the game was over the top. Jackson is definitely a top 5 team in the region though. Maybe number 3 or 4. Clay was down by as many as 14 or 15 toward the end of the 3rd.

Let's not get carried away though with the Fox talk. Just curious, what were his stats? I remember a runner, some free throws, and a 3.
Fox isn't in the same league as McDaniel. 22 for Clay is without debate the best player in the 13th region and arguably in the moutains with Hall, Johsnon and Justice. For someone to watch that game and think Fox is the best player you would have to be a fool. The kid is solid, but he's not got the ice in his veins like McDaniel. He scored ALL of his 18 4th quarter points on Fox. He destroyed him. Jackson has a nice club and Clay came out dead but as I heard many of the older generation say, McDaniel
put on the best performance EVER in the Bobby Keith Gymansium.
Fox is a point guard in the truest since of the word. I don't care how many he scores, he controls the game as a point guard should. I would say he and Brewer from HC are the best two players I have seen in the region not sure which one is better, They can score when they need to, but are perfectly happy just getting everyone else involved. I like Mcdaniel a lot and when he gets hot can score with anyone, but he needs to be scoring to contribute to the game unlike Fox and Brewer. If you don't think Fox is the best player on the Jackson County team, why were they so bad without him last year now all the sudden they are a contender for the region.
I figured there would be a comment about his stats, but honestly if you didn't see the impact he had on the game you are crazy.

Fox is not a kid that will score 30, because that's not the way he plays. For some reason Clay tried to play some sort of a trapping defense the whole night and Fox picked it apart. JC shot layups the whole night with Fox attacking until they decided to stall the ball.

Jackson played not to lose the last 4-5 minutes instead of playing the way they had the whole game, which got them beat. They let Fox keep doing what he was doing and McDaniel never has a chance to get them back in the game.
Brewer and Fox aren't in McDaniel's class. Both are older and bigger and nothing else. Fox makes flashier passes, but McDaniel can flat take over on anyone. McDaniel just a scorer? Please... Kid is averaging 6 assists a game. And as far as controlling the game, McDaniel controlled the game. 18 points in 4th quarter ON FOX. Fox's wild shot and turnover cost Jackson and gave McDaniel time to win the game.
Jed - Maybe because they added Wagers also? Lol Wow. And I said Lawson was the best player "tonight".

Iceman - You said he could have went for 40. He does control the game like a true point guard. I will give you that. And he does do what his team needs him too. Jackson County gave Clay County everything they had, and then some. Clay County played the 4th quarter without Reed or Bowling. Mountain basketball is pathetic with that slow it down stuff. You're exactly right, that IS what got them beat but if they are dumb enough to do it, keep on.
Bubba, you obviously have some kind of affection for McDaniel because the kid is a heck of a player but you make him out to be all world. If the kid is averaging 6 assists a game someone doesn't know how to keep stats. He's a great scorer at times but that is the only time you notice him. If he had control of the whole game why did you not even know he was on the floor when Clay was down the first 3 quarters?

Fox isn't a flashy player, he just makes the right plays.
Fox is a nice player, Brewer is a nice player, McDaniel is a superstar. Kid has been doing it since 8th grade. If he gets as much weight as Fox it will get dangerous how good he could be. At 6' he is a growing legend in Clay County. People haven't seen anything like this since Richie.
People forget McDaniel is a sophomore. Haha Get used to it guys. 2 and half more years. The object of the game is to put the ball in the rim and he does it better than 98% of eastern Kentucky. 40% from 3.
Iceman, might not have noticed him the first 3 but you noticed him when it counted. If Fox made the right plays Jackson wouldn't have lost. I never noticed Fox all night other than his whining about calls. This isn't the AAU circuit it's real basketball. McDaniel is bringing back Clay County basketball. I'm in love with the way the kid plays. I wish he would put more effort defensively sometimes, but I as a fan have full trust in him. He gets it done.
You are probably McDaniel's brother with the comment like you made about Ritchie, you are making it way too obvious. You might not know who the guy is, but if anybody remembers Shannon Hoskins then they would know that he is the closest thing CC will ever see to Ritchie. I like the kids game especially for a sophomore, but the only way he contributes is by scoring. When he's hot he is tough to guard.

And UKCC, how do you honestly think that Lawson kept getting oppurtunities to score? Alot of his points come from open 3's and layups cutting to the basket. All of which were made possible by Fox hitting the gap, drawing the defenders and dishing it to him.
Bubba and UK just sound like a bunch of homers trying to blow their team up. I've seen both kids play and its really not even close. Fox IS Jackson County, without him they're in the same boat they were last year which is barely 20 points better than Red Bird. With him they're a legit contender at a region title. Clay would still be a top 3 team without McDaniel and his gunner mentality. McDaniel isn't worth much when not hitting shots because just like Bubba said, no defense. Fox controls the game and makes everyone around him better, he makes those kids look like superstars and gives them confidence with his cool composure. Also agree with iceman about scoring anytime he wants the kid is a freak athlete and basketball IQ is out the roof, always makes the right play at the right time never forces. Wish I could've been at this game sounds like a good one.
Good calls there Iceman. Are you Fox's AAU agent or something? Man you're comments are just foolish. To put a comment that Fox is the best player in the region as soon as this was posted is just comical. Fox did NOTHING impressive all night. He was outplayed so badly its not even in question. I have given him credit, he is a true PG which was cool back in the 1970's. But he isn't in the same league in any aspect besides his flashy passes that accomplish nothing.
Lawson had to hit the shots even if Fox passed it to him. That's like saying a quarterback runs the ball after the receiver catches it. Fox left Jackson to pursue his AAU dreams at Dixie Heights before coming back to Gray Hawk to show everyone his 1973 game. Have fun at Eastern or Northern Kentucky University.
It seems odd that Clay would win by only one at home against Jackson County if McDaniel played the best game ever at Keith Gymnasium. What happened to the other Clay players. Is it just McDaniel this year?
You got awfully offensive there Bubba for you not to be, sorry that I can read through the blatant lovefest that you have with McDaniel. I am actually just a true basketball fan that appreciates a good PG when he sees one. Scoring the ball doesn't make you a great player, if it did Austin Rivers would be considered a legend. Kind of like what you consider McDaniel. The kid is a good player and I would never argue against that but you give me no choice. The description that you give for him makes him sound like Jason Kidd in his prime. And I was just talking about the game tonight, but I would put McDaniel behind Brewer as well as Fox.

But if you really think Fox did nothing impressive the whole night you must've not watched the game. I'm a CC fan and I could see that Fox was killing our press and halfcourt D.
HDE: Bowling foul trouble/weak game, Reed injury/foul trouble, Lyttle with a C- game. McDaniel was quiet until 4th then exploded. They have a nice surrounding cast, just came out dead tonight. I give Jackson props, they have potential to contend in the 13th.
Anyone can see that Clay County's defense is it's weakness this year. As for "killing" the press. How come Clay County made it's run during that span with Wes Wolfe and Blake Smith at the top? No, Fox wasn't the one turning it over but still. I saw at least 3 or 4 steals. around the half court line. Or the terrible loose ball foul call on Blake Smith that was about to be a jump ball. If you like that style of basketball you can have it cause nobody is playing it above low D-1. If you can't score the ball today, you might as well stay at home.
Iceman, if you're a CC fan you are a fool. I feel sorry for your judgements. Bottom line is this.. 22 for Clay is a winner. Proved it in the district as an 8th grader, region as a freshman, and been proving it all year and espeically tonight. Put the team on his back and packed them. People don't remember those that can score, or those that can be a "True PG" as you call it, they remember winners. But lastly, I'm not taking anything away from Fox. Even though he plays soft, and with no desire at times he has talent and he is a very nice player.
My name is Bobby Keith. I coached Richie, Russ, Russ Chadwell, Boxhead, and Kev. The 87 Champs. For someone to say that a McDaniel put on the best performance in my EFFIN gym, obviously has issues. Let me tell you something youngster, you better get you're $%^$%$^ in line, because when my foot $^%^$&%& it'll feel just like your daddy planted it there when you popped out the womb. TIGERS RAPE EVERYONE GO CC. GET EM TOMORROW STEPH
Bobby you coached in the old Tiger Gym during 87 remember?? Believe the new gym didn't start holding games until the early 90's my man!
Wow, who let this guy have a computer?
I'm sorry UKCC but that is a terrible argument, way to point out the stretch that Fox didn't turn it over which is completely off topic with what I was saying. Fox has took a team that was 20 points worse than Clay last year and should've won the game tonight. I've seen the Wagers kid play his whole life, and he wouldn't make that much of a difference. And we shouldn't even bring in a comment about the refs, because Clay definitely got their fair share of calls.

We're not talking D-1 here UKCC, we're talking about high school basketball in the mountains.
Now Bubba you know i'm getting old and i'm just foolish at times. Pay no attention to my previous comments as I was out of line and ignorant. Bottom line, both teams showed me that they can compete with anyone in the region, hard fought battle in an intense atmosphere, and Fox and McDaniel are both good PG's. Fox is a much better true PG, but if he wanted he could honestly outscore McDaniel 10/10 games. McDaniel, is a great player in his own right, but Fox is taller, more athletic, and may be equal to Chip on the knowledge of the game as they are both very intelligent. If you ask me they are the two of the three top PG's in the region. Oh, and Blake Smith blows, he's just a warm up dunker. Get him off the court and back on 2K where he belongs.
Iceman - I'll leave it at this. I had no problem with your post until the statement about Fox being the best player in the region and could have dropped 40 popped up. Let's just see how the rest of the season plays out. Fox is a heck of basketball player and in all honestly he could play for me, but we would definitely try to score more. That is his coaches fault for holding him back. There are 3 point guards in the 13th region that can all ball in their own way. I would just take a kid that can pass the ball and light it up on offense. We all have our opinions. If you were a Clay County fan, I feel like you would act like it. You sound like Fox's spokesperson. Black and Gold my man.
Can't remember Clay winning any regions here recently Bubba, maybe he should get a few of those under his belt before we start comparing him to Farmer?
McDaniel is a nice player, but I wouldn't say he's in a "different league" than Fox or Brewer.
I thought Asher and Henson were awfully good in that gym in the late 90s. I'm surprised he's passed them up already. I heard he was even better as a golfer.
Mountain basketball is dead and McDaniel doesn't play like he is from eastern Kentucky. That style is out the window when it comes to the state level. Get outside of these hills my friend. Why else would Shelby Valley led by Elisha Justice and great cast be the only title in however many years? I was trying to give Fox some credit but he can have fun at UPike. People talk all the time how he is this and that and he has never proven it. I thought most people wanted to reach the pinochle of basketball but obviously you are fine with being remembered by locals and playing at the NAIA level. What a joke. Go back to your soup beans.
And by the way son, my name is on the court, not McDaniel. Farmer is hanging beside me in the rafters, not McDaniel. McDaniel will only hang in a rafter of some form, for golf. Forget basketball. He's 5'10, he's white (that says it all anyway) and he's as scrawny as can be. Fox can dunk the ball with ease. He's nearly 6'2, faster, has better handling of the ball, and can't quite shoot as well as McDaniel, but he can just blow by him if he wants. Get over yourself.