Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lee Co 56 Powell Co 52
Good win for Lee at home.
This really hurts Powell county in the district. Congrats to Lee County!
Powell goes to 0-4 in district play meaning that they probably will end up with the 4 seed. Marcum had 27 to lead the Pirates.
Strikeout King Wrote:Powell goes to 0-4 in district play meaning that they probably will end up with the 4 seed. Marcum had 27 to lead the Pirates.

Powell County would be a very dangerous 4 seed. From what I have seen of the 56th district there are not 5 points seperating all teams. Should make for a good tournament.
I don't think it really matters this year what seed a team has. Powell will be just as dangerous when it comes district time as any team in the 56th. There's just not a lot of separation between the 4 schools this year.

But what really disappoints me is that the 56th teams just can't seem compete for a region championship. To my knowledge the district teams have won the region only 4 times in history: Lee 1968; Lee 1973; Powell 1974; Powell 2003. Owsley was runner-up twice, and Wolfe was rumner-up once. That's it.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I don't think it really matters this year what seed a team has. Powell will be just as dangerous when it comes district time as any team in the 56th. There's just not a lot of separation between the 4 schools this year.

But what really disappoints me is that the 56th teams just can't seem compete for a region championship. To my knowledge the district teams have won the region only 4 times in history: Lee 1968; Lee 1973; Powell 1974; Powell 2003. Owsley was runner-up twice, and Wolfe was rumner-up once. That's it.

What years was Owsley runner up? I remember them losing to Breathitt County in 1983 when Mike Turner was playing for Owsley and Charlie Turner was coaching. Owsley was the best team in the region that year, but ran into a couple guys in stripes that didnt help them out in the tourney.
Lucky7 Wrote:What years was Owsley runner up? I remember them losing to Breathitt County in 1983 when Mike Turner was playing for Owsley and Charlie Turner was coaching. Owsley was the best team in the region that year, but ran into a couple guys in stripes that didnt help them out in the tourney.

They were runner up in 1983 to Breathitt. Mike Turner was 1st team all state that year.

Also runner up to Breathitt in 1985. They defeated Knott Central and MC Napier to get to the finals. Breathitt's front line averaged 6'8 that year.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:They were runner up in 1983 to Breathitt. Mike Turner was 1st team all state that year.

Also runner up to Breathitt in 1985. They defeated Knott Central and MC Napier to get to the finals. Breathitt's front line averaged 6'8 that year.

That was when Breathitt had the Fletcher's.