Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer head coach Leon Hart retires.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I would say Ashland defensive coordinator tony love gets it. He has the endorsement of coach hart and a good football mind. He is also good with the kids. That would be my guess.

That sounds like a good pick. Promoting from within whenever possible is best for all. It sounds like Love has earned it. I had heard rumors that Ashland may try to get a FTH assistant. That would not be a good idea.

Actually, I have never heard of Love. What is his background- age, education, past experience, etc.?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:That sounds like a good pick. Promoting from within whenever possible is best for all. It sounds like Love has earned it. I had heard rumors that Ashland may try to get a FTH assistant. That would not be a good idea.

Actually, I have never heard of Love. What is his background- age, education, past experience, etc.?
he has been Ashland defensive coordinator for I believe something like 15 years now he has learned under a couple of head coaches. And was highly sought after for a couple of head coaching jobs last year. Greenup county I am almost positive was one that made him there main target if I remember correctly. I know he played college ball but I am not sure where. But the Ashland defense that has been so good the last few years is entirely due to his coaching and gameplanning coach hart only handled the offense and trusted tony with the defense and he has really flourished in how to gameplan and prepare under coach hart. He deserves his chance. Who was the assistant from highlands that you thought could be hired and why do you feel it would be a mistake?
http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...edir=false

Here is a article from the Ashland paper in September on coach love. This next season would be his 20th at Ashland
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:he has been Ashland defensive coordinator for I believe something like 15 years now he has learned under a couple of head coaches. And was highly sought after for a couple of head coaching jobs last year. Greenup county I am almost positive was one that made him there main target if I remember correctly. I know he played college ball but I am not sure where. But the Ashland defense that has been so good the last few years is entirely due to his coaching and gameplanning coach hart only handled the offense and trusted tony with the defense and he has really flourished in how to gameplan and prepare under coach hart. He deserves his chance. Who was the assistant from highlands that you thought could be hired and why do you feel it would be a mistake?

I could be wrong but I don't think any assistant at FTH would be interested in the Ashland job. Such rumors aren't uncommon around here. Turning down Greenup County indicates that Love has some smarts. From all you hear, that job is probably the worst in Kentucky.

Sounds to me like Love deserves a shot. Good luck to him.
highlands is actually a 3A school
Heard today that Love has applied for the Boyd County head coaching job, dont know if he covering his bases or if he knows he isnt getting the job!! Heard Fairviews coach applied for the Ashland job along with Salmons (Cabell Midland) and Vanderhoof Racelands ex coach so far.
T-CATS Wrote:Heard today that Love has applied for the Boyd County head coaching job, dont know if he covering his bases or if he knows he isnt getting the job!! Heard Fairviews coach applied for the Ashland job along with Salmons (Cabell Midland) and Vanderhoof Racelands ex coach so far.
I have heard all except love applying for Boyd county but if he does he would take that program to the next level as soon as next year maybe. I have also heard bob lutz is interested and may consider but I doubt there is any truth in that last one.
The only reason this is even being discussed is because they have to post this job state wide for 30 days. Nothing will change at Ashland there circling the wagons an waiting for Tony to be named the new head coach of the Tomcats. It would take someone with much more background than mcpeek or salmons to snatch this away from Tony. A turnaround at LC is not enough to pass on quality Guy like coach love or a Guy from fairview that's not really proven anything yet.
Cupboards are hardly bare anyone knows great teams are built from pieces from 3 sometimes 4 classes of kids all playing together.
BADCAT74 Wrote:The only reason this is even being discussed is because they have to post this job state wide for 30 days. Nothing will change at Ashland there circling the wagons an waiting for Tony to be named the new head coach of the Tomcats. It would take someone with much more background than mcpeek or salmons to snatch this away from Tony. A turnaround at LC is not enough to pass on quality Guy like coach love or a Guy from fairview that's not really proven anything yet.
Cupboards are hardly bare anyone knows great teams are built from pieces from 3 sometimes 4 classes of kids all playing together.

Dude you don't know anything Bout salmons or Mcpeek they both combined have won about 100 wins and very few losses plus took teams to state titles no offense to ashland but as far as advancing in playoffs midland and fairview much better jobs than ashland
BADCAT74 Wrote:The only reason this is even being discussed is because they have to post this job state wide for 30 days. Nothing will change at Ashland there circling the wagons an waiting for Tony to be named the new head coach of the Tomcats. It would take someone with much more background than mcpeek or salmons to snatch this away from Tony. A turnaround at LC is not enough to pass on quality Guy like coach love or a Guy from fairview that's not really proven anything yet.
Salmons has got a legit chance. Turned Lawrence around and in 2 years at midland took them from 3-7 to a state finals appearance. I think to much bad press and reputation keeps mcpeek from getting the job. But I thought tony was gonna get it when Leon was hired. So you never know. Salmons is a impressive coach
I figured Love was the man too until my daughter came home and told me yesterday that Love told her gym class that he would probably be leaving the Ashland School system and heading to B.C. My daughter and his son have went to school together since 1st grade!!! We shall see!!!!
T-CATS Wrote:I figured Love was the man too until my daughter came home and told me yesterday that Love told her gym class that he would probably be leaving the Ashland School system and heading to B.C. My daughter and his son have went to school together since 1st grade!!! We shall see!!!!
I have heard tony love has applied for the Boyd county job I have allow heard that its been decided since December that Luke salmons would be the next coach that comes from the forum Blue Gold News an he was also asked If he was going to be the next coach at Ashland by the herald dispatch in an interview. Where there is smoke there is fire. My first reaction was tony love would be hired. But now it looks like they have informed him they would hire someone else and looks like the decision has already been made that it is salmons from cabell midland which would be an outstanding hire.
Salmons would be a GREAT hire!!!! Have a cousin that played at Midland this year, talked to him said he loved playing for him!!!!
Any update on the coaching search?
T-CATS Wrote:Salmons would be a GREAT hire!!!! Have a cousin that played at Midland this year, talked to him said he loved playing for him!!!!

That would be interesting. He is supposedly good buddies with McPeek at Fairview and partly responsible for the Huntington boys landing there last year.