• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland vs Newport Central Catholic Updates
NCC 18

Ashland `17 end of the 1st quarter
NCC 39

Ashland 32 halftime
NCC 61

Ashland 43 end of the 3rd quarter
Championship game was played last night. Not even Kouns could save the Tomkittens in this one.
NCC 80

Ashland 61 final
FBALL Wrote:Championship game was played last night. Not even Kouns could save the Tomkittens in this one.

Local officiating sure did save russell's hide in the first round and even Russell fans acknowledge that.
Leaping Lee Wrote:Local officiating sure did save russell's hide in the first round and even Russell fans acknowledge that.

Ahh! Poor baby! Want some cheese with that whine?

Would have Still been the championship game if WJ would have beat Russell and the Colts played the Breds. Alas it was not.
FBALL Wrote:Ahh! Poor baby! Want some cheese with that whine?

Would have Still been the championship game if WJ would have beat Russell and the Colts played the Breds. Alas it was not.

In all honesty, all must admit that Ashland beat the two worst teams in the field. Boyd County gave NCC a good game but it was mainly because of NCC's poor play on an unfamiliar floor. Russell, on the other hand, has a good team and, with a different pairing, could well have played for the championship. Many of us had heard that NCC better beware of Bob Kouns. He did, of course, referee the championship game but, with the game really never in doubt, he could apparently not work his usual "magic" for the home team.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:In all honesty, all must admit that Ashland beat the two worst teams in the field. Boyd County gave NCC a good game but it was mainly because of NCC's poor play on an unfamiliar floor. Russell, on the other hand, has a good team and, with a different pairing, could well have played for the championship. Many of us had heard that NCC better beware of Bob Kouns. He did, of course, referee the championship game but, with the game really never in doubt, he could apparently not work his usual "magic" for the home team.

NCC was hammering Boyd for most of the game a late charge by Boyd made it look respectable. Just as a refresher for the uninformed, Boyd had 2 field goals in the first half.

As for Kouns I have always thought he sucked as an official. With that said he slapped Biggs with a "T" last night and was part of the crew that let Warren Central play with 6 people last year. The only reason he called every Ashland game in the AIT is because Russell scratched him for the year so he always called opposite the Russell game. That info came straight from a Russell staff member. The same one who told me they benefited a great deal from the officiating Thursday night.

Bottomline NCC was clearly the class of the tournament and of course Ashland made their path easier, it's their tournament for crying out loud. Of course they would have played Henderson Co if the weather had cooperated and Henderson was probably the 2nd best team in the field. What ever you do Harry, don't let the facts get in the way of a good criticism or argument.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:In all honesty, all must admit that Ashland beat the two worst teams in the field. Boyd County gave NCC a good game but it was mainly because of NCC's poor play on an unfamiliar floor. Russell, on the other hand, has a good team and, with a different pairing, could well have played for the championship. Many of us had heard that NCC better beware of Bob Kouns. He did, of course, referee the championship game but, with the game really never in doubt, he could apparently not work his usual "magic" for the home team.

FBALL Wrote:Ahh! Poor baby! Want some cheese with that whine?

Fball that last paragraph in nearly coherent. Although it is dangerous I'm going to make the assumption that you mean that a WJ vs. NCC game would have constituted the championship.

Either way do you wish to dispute my opinion that Russell received a very generous whiske thursday night?
Leaping Lee Wrote:Fball that last paragraph in nearly coherent. Although it is dangerous I'm going to make the assumption that you mean that a WJ vs. NCC game would have constituted the championship.

Either way do you wish to dispute my opinion that Russell received a very generous whiske thursday night?

It was completely coherent. As evident by the fact that you could comprehend it. I dispute that they received a generous whiske. :devilflam
Leaping Lee Wrote:NCC was hammering Boyd for most of the game a late charge by Boyd made it look respectable. Just as a refresher for the uninformed, Boyd had 2 field goals in the first half.

As for Kouns I have always thought he sucked as an official. With that said he slapped Biggs with a "T" last night and was part of the crew that let Warren Central play with 6 people last year. The only reason he called every Ashland game in the AIT is because Russell scratched him for the year so he always called opposite the Russell game. That info came straight from a Russell staff member. The same one who told me they benefited a great deal from the officiating Thursday night.

Bottomline NCC was clearly the class of the tournament and of course Ashland made their path easier, it's their tournament for crying out loud. Of course they would have played Henderson Co if the weather had cooperated and Henderson was probably the 2nd best team in the field. What ever you do Harry, don't let the facts get in the way of a good criticism or argument.

I promise to not let spin get in the way of facts, Leaping Lee. However, your analysis as to why Kouns refereed all of Ashland's games is a good try. All I know is that some of us were warned by some of your local partisans (obviously not Ashland partisans) to be ready for Kouns since he apparently is well known in the 16th Region as a very active 6th man for the maroon and white. Fortunately, the game was over early and we didn't have to see what might happen.

Some other schools benefit from longstanding "homers" in striped shirts so Kouns is not alone. It is just part of the process.
Let me quickly add that Ashland runs a first class tournament. And, for attendance sake, it is important to keep the host team in the running as long as possible.
FBALL Wrote:It was completely coherent. As evident by the fact that you could comprehend it. I dispute that they received a generous whiske. :devilflam

If you believe that then it is impossible to have a logical discussion with you. West got whistled whipped.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I promise to not let spin get in the way of facts, Leaping Lee. However, your analysis as to why Kouns refereed all of Ashland's games is a good try. All I know is that some of us were warned by some of your local partisans (obviously not Ashland partisans) to be ready for Kouns since he apparently is well known in the 16th Region as a very active 6th man for the maroon and white. Fortunately, the game was over early and we didn't have to see what might happen.

Some other schools benefit from longstanding "homers" in striped shirts so Kouns is not alone. It is just part of the process.

Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Let me quickly add that Ashland runs a first class tournament. And, for attendance sake, it is important to keep the host team in the running as long as possible.

I'm not defending Bob Kouns by any stretch, I think he is a cheat, I watched him rob Woodford Co last year at the AIT and I watched him screw over other out of the area teams against other area team. My point is he was assigned to all 3 Ashland games because Russell and Merle Kidwell had the good sense to scratch him. As for him being Ashland's 6th man, his actions in last years consolation game and his actions last night say otherwise. Maybe he has gotten to old to effectively skew the results.

On the other hand, Barnett, Hall, and their partner certainly took care of fball's Red Devils. If not they would have played their last two games in the afternoon. And make no mistake that also was good for ticket sales.
I think Lee needs to switch to decaf.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, Leaping Lee. However, I must dispute your statement that Kouns refereed the Ashland games only because Russell blackballed him. I don't believe that at all and I doubt anyone else does so either. Ashland chooses who calls the tournament. There is no assignment by a third party. Ashland also chooses who calls each game by the way they set it up.

If Russell blackballed Kouns, which would probably only be necessary when Russell played Ashland, Kouns could still call games other than Ashland. After all, there were four games each day.

No, Leaping Lee, the truth is that Ashland chooses Kouns to call the tournament so he can call Ashland's games and, therefore, provide that extra "cushion" for which he is well known (according to what I have been told by a number of Ashland's "neighbors"). If the championship game had been close, those I talked with had no doubt that he would have made the difference. However, NCC put the game away early and the outcome was not "amendable".

His reputation seems to be that he "homers" for Ashland on a regular basis. No one mentioned whether or not he does so for anyone else or whether he hurts certain schools.

But, that is how it goes. No harm done in this case. The best team coasted to victory. Whether or not the second best team finished second or not is in the eyes of the beholder.

Good luck to all the teams.
FBALL Wrote:I think Lee needs to switch to decaf.

I'm a Mormon so I don't ingest caffeine
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, Leaping Lee. However, I must dispute your statement that Kouns refereed the Ashland games only because Russell blackballed him. I don't believe that at all and I doubt anyone else does so either. Ashland chooses who calls the tournament. There is no assignment by a third party. Ashland also chooses who calls each game by the way they set it up.

If Russell blackballed Kouns, which would probably only be necessary when Russell played Ashland, Kouns could still call games other than Ashland. After all, there were four games each day.

No, Leaping Lee, the truth is that Ashland chooses Kouns to call the tournament so he can call Ashland's games and, therefore, provide that extra "cushion" for which he is well known (according to what I have been told by a number of Ashland's "neighbors"). If the championship game had been close, those I talked with had no doubt that he would have made the difference. However, NCC put the game away early and the outcome was not "amendable".

His reputation seems to be that he "homers" for Ashland on a regular basis. No one mentioned whether or not he does so for anyone else or whether he hurts certain schools.

But, that is how it goes. No harm done in this case. The best team coasted to victory. Whether or not the second best team finished second or not is in the eyes of the beholder.

Good luck to all the teams.

I'm not going to be able to convince you nor can I prove it but you are simply wrong. The AIT had two 3 man crews, one crew consisted of Hall, Barnett, and another ref I don't recall, the second crew was Kouns, Allen, and Lyle. Each crew would ref a day and night session. Russell scratched Kouns and one of the other refs on his crew. When Russell and Ashland both won it meant Kouns was always opposite Russell. You can believe me or continue to live in your world of make believe. If you wish have Fball ask Kidwell, I.m certain he will confirm.

Like I said Kouns is a crook but the reality is Ashland lead 25-20 and had more players with 2 fouls than NCC had team fouls and that is an indisputable fact. If Kouns was gonna take over he needed to do it early. Anyone who watched NCC play knew they were the superior team so if you were gonna cheat them you needed to do it early.

To me it seems illogical to think that 16th region officials won't favor 16th region teams. Who do you think ranks the officials at the end of the year? Do you think Bob Kouns or Kerry Lyle care what the Henderson coach thinks?

In my opinion the 2nd best team was Henderson Co, followed closely by West Jessamine.
The Word of Wisdom is really more of a suggestion than doctrine. I believe it says no alcohol, coffee or tea. Maybe a big ol Mountain Dew would do you some good.
Its my opinion that WJ was the second best team in the tournament. Any given night though.

However you want to spin it Russell had a better showing against NCC than anybody else did.

Russell isn't the only team in the region to blackball Kouns.
FBALL Wrote:Its my opinion that WJ was the second best team in the tournament. Any given night though.

However you want to spin it Russell had a better showing against NCC than anybody else did.

Russell isn't the only team in the region to blackball Kouns.

Who said Russell didn't?

As for Kouns I don't blame them one bit.
Officials don't win or lose games. Blaming officiating is a weak argument to me. You either win or lose. Then you move on.

Kouns is just a bad official.
I need to exit this 16th Region discussion and get back to the 9th Region where I belong. I'll let Ashland and Russell carry on the discussion. At least you boys don't appear to have a public-private disagreement like some of us have in our area. Best wishes to all down in your part of the state. We rarely agree but we have a tolerable time bantering back and forth.
Maybe Joins caught the flu off of Ashland.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I need to exit this 16th Region discussion and get back to the 9th Region where I belong. I'll let Ashland and Russell carry on the discussion. At least you boys don't appear to have a public-private disagreement like some of us have in our area. Best wishes to all down in your part of the state. We rarely agree but we have a tolerable time bantering back and forth.

Public vs Private went our the door in the 16th when Rose Hill got busted.

Wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't banter.
[/QUOTE]Leeping Lee

Like I said Kouns is a crook [B]but the reality is Ashland lead 25-20 and had more players with 2 fouls than NCC had team fouls and that is an indisputable fact. If Kouns was gonna take over he needed to do it early.[/B] Anyone who watched NCC play knew they were the superior team so if you were gonna cheat them you needed to do it early.[/QUOTE]

Lee reality is Bob Kouns is always officiating a AIT game every year. Usually the first half he lets it play out and when the game gets in the fourth quarter or the deciding minutes thats when the "Closer" takes over. He didn't earn that nickname by mistake. Bob is smart enough not to try and make up a twenty point deficit. A indisputable fact officials come and go but Bob remains every year in the AIT that is a fact . Good Luck the rest of the year and hopefully Bob Kouns will be calling girls games in March like last year when all the boys teams Black balled him .
dozerdawg707 Wrote:Maybe Joins caught the flu off of Ashland.

Kouns not joins.
That makes more sense now.
My bad, auto spell.