Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co 79 Ashland 74
Nice win for the Bulldogs.
Nice win for Lawrence Co.

I thought Ashland would win this one.
Coach Cook has them moving in the right direction.
Huge win for the Bulldogs, anyone have stats?
HELL YEAH!!!! Go 57th!!!!!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:HELL YEAH!!!! Go 57th!!!!!!!!

This win is very very impressive for the bulldogs. They are gonna be a force the next few years.
Kinda surprised at this outcome, but nice win for Lawrence County. This Ashland team for sure has a much lower margin for error than last year's team, lost a lot of points and rebounds from last year but more importantly a lot of experience as well. Shake it off boys and get ready for the next one.
We will be broadcasting the Bulldogs championship game tomorrow love at 8:15 on Wzaq 92.3
Stomach Virus going around the Area has hit Ashland and Russell hard.
Congrats Dawgs on a Good Win!!!
MVP2 Wrote:Nice win for Lawrence Co.

I thought Ashland would win this one.

So did Dicky.
FBALL Wrote:Stomach Virus going around the Area has hit Ashland and Russell hard.

Yea boy....Russell got drilled by 30 and the kids they had out would have made all the difference. :please:

Ashland beat a pretty god Clay Co team with all their "sickness" and was up 12 tonight and flat got out hustled. Try another excuse. :yawn:
I don't need an excuse. Blazer and Russell have had rough weeks due to illness hitting both teams. It's a fact.

No stamina and lack of depth bit both of those teams. Ran out of gas. Not hustle.
HD28 Wrote:Yea boy....Russell got drilled by 30 and the kids they had out would have made all the difference. :please:

Ashland beat a pretty god Clay Co team with all their "sickness" and was up 12 tonight and flat got out hustled. Try another excuse. :yawn:

:Thumbs:
Congrats to LC.
Lawrence will play Raceland for the championship tonight at 8:15. If you want to listen tune in to Wzaq 92.3 or online at http://www.ignitefm.com
Lawrence came into this tournament 1-6 and Raceland came in at 0-5. Unusual championship matchup. Illness is often a feel better excuse for a loss. However, it is just a part of the game and it doesn't change the outcome.
FBALL Wrote:I don't need an excuse. Blazer and Russell have had rough weeks due to illness hitting both teams. It's a fact.

No stamina and lack of depth bit both of those teams. Ran out of gas. Not hustle.

Spin it anyway you want. It's an excuse. The kids Russell had out don't make the difference. And Ashland beat Clay a day earlier when they were "sick". Common sense tells you if they were that "sick" it's the Clay Co game That would have been affected, not a 2-6 Lawrence Co team.

Loved watching a bunch of freshmen from LC play. They played without fear and competed every possession. They deserved he win and got it.
Excuse or not you know Ashland Blazer is a better team than Lawrence. Illness I guess doesn't affect your stamina?

As for the kids Russell was missing - 1 starter and 2 of the top subs. That affects your depth.

A loss is a loss. It's a big win for Lawrence and I congratulate them on it. But Blazer is a better team and I'm sure as the season unfolds that will play itself out.
FBALL Wrote:Excuse or not you know Ashland Blazer is a better team than Lawrence. Illness I guess doesn't affect your stamina?

As for the kids Russell was missing - 1 starter and 2 of the top subs. That affects your depth.

A loss is a loss. It's a big win for Lawrence and I congratulate them on it. But Blazer is a better team and I'm sure as the season unfolds that will play itself out.

They won't play again this year so any playing it out is pure speculation. I personally thought Ashland would drill them.
Who was out for Ashland?
FBALL Wrote:I don't need an excuse. Blazer and Russell have had rough weeks due to illness hitting both teams. It's a fact.

:lame:
dbcooper Wrote:They won't play again this year so any playing it out is pure speculation. I personally thought Ashland would drill them.
Who was out for Ashland?

I don't think any of them sat out the game. I do think they were still feeling the effects of the illness.

Speculation is what we all do on here.

All that said I don't think Blazer is a great team. They have limited scorin and depend on depth and stamina to wear teams down.
FBALL Wrote:I don't think any of them sat out the game. I do think they were still feeling the effects of the illness.

All that said I don't think Blazer is a great team. They have limited scorin and depend on depth and stamina to wear teams down.

Agreed, but Dixson and Miller are their 2 big guns and both played and played well. From Rocky's account in the DI it sounds like Blazer, a good team for this area, just got clipped by a scrappy young team.
I would speculate that if these two teams played again the result would be another tight battle with possibly the Tomcats winning or maybe the Bulldogs. Who knows? According to the paper Robert Dalton was saddled with fouls most of the stretch, so maybe if he isn't then it ends up being a little less close.
Really, though, all we can say for sure is the Bulldogs won likely the only matchup of the 2 teams this season or next and this is the first of what ought to be many more wins to come for this young group.
FBALL Wrote:Excuse or not you know Ashland Blazer is a better team than Lawrence. Illness I guess doesn't affect your stamina?

Lawrence County beat Ashland. It's in the books. 79-74. They played the game, and LC won. That's what I know. The best team-on that night- won. Unless they play gain, we won't know if Ashland is truly better.

I've seen Russell play twice. It's Skaggs shooting 3s and FTs...which he's very good at...and a bunch of role players. Thy don't make up 30 points.
FBALL Wrote:I don't think any of them sat out the game. I do think they were still feeling the effects of the illness.

Where did you go to med school?

Dixon was one of the "sick"... He had 28 and 14. Try again.
FWIW, LC has won the last three meetings between the schools. That's a nice little run.
Good job, young Dawgs!
Congratulations to the dawgs on a solid win. Now we have a Russell guy throwing out their excuse for their loss in multiple threads. Strong
Ashland has won 17 out of 19 meetings from 1998-2004, in 2004 the Dawgs beat Ashland twice including the 64th district championship at Ashland. The Bulldogs have won the last three, bet no one else though that.
HD28 Wrote:Where did you go to med school?

Dixon was one of the "sick"... He had 28 and 14. Try again.

Fighting the ailmentsAaron Snyder 12/21/2012 2:40 AM
Sickness pounded the Ashland locker room like a blanketing blizzard, but the Tomcats weren’t buried.
Ashland remained unbeaten as it outdueled Clay County, 71-67, during the opening round of the eighth annual Raceland Derby Classic on Thursday at Raceland-Worthington High School.
Lawrence County, Boone County and Raceland were other winners on Thursday, setting up these semifinal matchups: Ashland-Lawrence County and Boone County-Raceland. Second-round play will begin at 3 p.m. today with two consolation games followed by the semifinals, which tip off at approximately 6:30 p.m.
Nick Miller was one of just two Tomcats who played more than 22 minutes in the game — Steven Friley was the other. Miller poured in a game-high 28 points on 10-of-16 shooting.
Only five Tomcats didn’t battle illness throughout the week, according to Ashland coach Buddy Biggs. Six missed practice on Monday, 10 Tuesday and seven Wednesday because of various illnesses.
“They’ve all been sick,” Biggs said. “I didn’t even know if three were even going to play today.”
Those three were Tyler Stewart, Ross Thompson and Dikembe Dixson. All played their part in the Tomcats’ victory, but Miller and senior Logan Salow particularly stood out.

Salow played his best game, said his coach, since returning from injury more than a week ago. He tallied 12 points, six assists and five steals. He also sank the free throw that sealed it with four seconds to go.
“If we can get him 100 percent healthy, he’ll have a great year,” Biggs said.
Ashland (7-0) transformed a 33-32 halftime deficit into a 52-42 lead by the 1:22-mark of the third quarter.
The Tomcats attack the basket more fluidly to create foul trouble for Clay County big man Marty Bowling, who averages a double-double. While Bowling still managed 17 points and 12 rebounds, he was limited to no field goals in the second half.
“We continually talked the whole game about driving the basketball, and getting it inside, off the dribble and off the pass. We wanted to go right after these guys,” Biggs said. “We didn’t feel like they were very deep.”
Clay County (6-2) had just six players with significant minutes.
Tyler McDaniel, the Tigers’ leading scorer, hit a hot streak in the third quarter to help tighten things up. He finished with 25 points.
Clay County tied the Tomcats four times in the fourth quarter, but never seized the lead in the period.

CLAY CO. 21 12 18 16 — 67
ASHLAND 14 18 22 17 — 71
Clay County (67) — Reed 14, Rice 3, McDaniel 25, T. Smith 2, B. Smith 2, Bowling 17, Lyttle 4, Wolfe, Holland, McNeal. 3-Pt. FG: 2 (Reed, McDaniel). FT: 21-29. PF: 28. Fouled out: Reed, Lyttle. Turnovers: 20.
Ashland (71) — Thompson 8, Stewart 8, Salow 12, Rose 2, Friley 6, Hart 5, Dixson 2, Miller 28. 3-Pt. FG: 1 (Thompson). FT: 26-40. PF: 22. Fouled out: None. Turnovers: 14.
Try again. Lol

Didn't need med school for that one.