Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg Blackcats 2013
Thoughts & predictions.
Blackcats lose Cory Grigsby QB/LB (transfer to Breathitt)

Blackcats lose the following to graduation:

Colten Boleyn OL/DL
Aaron Griffith OL/DL/LB
Adam Griffith OL/LB
Cody Jarrell OL/DL
Derek Newsome OL/DL
Tommy Osborne OL/DL
Jon Stidham K
Kinsey Van Dyne OL/DL
Bryson Williams WR/DB/KR/PR/RB

We had a very young team this year.

Next year we will have (class at beginning of next season) returning :
5 Seniors
17 Juniors
10 Sophmores

Several of these will be Jrs & Sophs played a lot of minutes last year and gained very valuable experience. IMHO the future for the Blackcats looks very bright.
Wow, with 17 juniors it WILL be bright!!
Looks like your O line will be down some next year. Will there be goods ones to fille the holes?
Prestonsburg is one year away from being a contender in 2A. I look for the blackcats to have an explosive offense once again in 2013. I believe their offense has the capability of being one of the best in 2A. The only thing holding the blackcats back next year from being a contender will be the defense. The defense seemed to get better as the year went on but to be able to beat Somerset, Danville, and the other elite teams in 2A, you need a solid defense. Prestonsburg's offensive line could also be a question mark. I see Prestonsburg being a very good football team next year and making it to the regional finals to play a very good Somerset team. Good Luck next year Blackcats.
I left off Alex Kidd TE/LB who we will also lose to graduation.
Granny Bear Wrote:Wow, with 17 juniors it WILL be bright!!
Looks like your O line will be down some next year. Will there be goods ones to fille the holes?

Yes Granny. Just a few young guys returning on the O line off top my head i think will step up are:

Miles Goodman
Austin Holbrook
Thomas Spears
Steven Perry
Sean White

If i'm not mistaken they all will be Juniors. I'm sure they are 1 or 2 more i'm not thinking of.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Prestonsburg is one year away from being a contender in 2A. I look for the blackcats to have an explosive offense once again in 2013. I believe their offense has the capability of being one of the best in 2A. The only thing holding the blackcats back next year from being a contender will be the defense. The defense seemed to get better as the year went on but to be able to beat Somerset, Danville, and the other elite teams in 2A, you need a solid defense. Prestonsburg's offensive line could also be a question mark. I see Prestonsburg being a very good football team next year and making it to the regional finals to play a very good Somerset team. Good Luck next year Blackcats.

You are correct Cat Daddy. The defense had several problems to begin the season for sure. Over the last 4-5 games they stepped up tremendously. We had a lot of freshman and sophmores on the field who where adjusting to the speed of the game.

They did hold a very good Danville team to 16 points in their final game. I think you will see a lot of improvement early with next years defense. We do have holes to fill, but i think we will have some of these young guys step up after the experience they received last year.
Looks like the Blackcats will be booming the season after next!
If they held Danville to 16, looks to me like they have already started in the right direction. I can't imagine what kind of team it will be with 17-18 seniors!

I'd love to see you guys play for the state title again, blackcat!!!
P-burg will be fine.. Offense should be exciting,,, just need some work on the defensive side of the ball and to actually play a full game on defense..
Should be a good year for the blackcats..you never know what Anderson will do,but I would be suprised if he didnt play.They lose quit a bit on the line and Williams.They had real good JV team last year and expect allot of those guys to step up and do well.
I don't think they were all that young this year. They lost some key players in the Griffith twins, Alex Kidd, Stidham, van dyne, and not to mention Williams. They will have to find a play,aker to take the place of Bryson, which is impossible. They will be descent with Jarrell, frasure, and Anderson though.
P-burg is always tough and respectable program. Good luck in 2013.
sportscritic Wrote:I don't think they were all that young this year. They lost some key players in the Griffith twins, Alex Kidd, Stidham, van dyne, and not to mention Williams. They will have to find a play,aker to take the place of Bryson, which is impossible. They will be descent with Jarrell, frasure, and Anderson though.

I would have to disagree with the bolded statement. We had 10 seniors with only 7 seeing significant playing time. We had 5 juniors with only 2 seeing significant playing time. Thats a total of 9 juniors and seniors.

We had 17 sophmores and 10 freshman on this years team with 8 of these guys seeing significant playing time. Not to mention several others on special teams of the sophmores and freshman.

I do agree that we lost some key players and they will be hard to replace. I also think we will have some young guys step up and fill those shoes though.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I would have to disagree with the bolded statement. We had 10 seniors with only 7 seeing significant playing time. We had 5 juniors with only 2 seeing significant playing time. Thats a total of 9 juniors and seniors.

We had 17 sophmores and 10 freshman on this years team with 8 of these guys seeing significant playing time. Not to mention several others on special teams of the sophmores and freshman.

I do agree that we lost some key players and they will be hard to replace. I also think we will have some young guys step up and fill those shoes though.

According to the stats on KHSAA only 17 players played in more than 6 games. Of those 17, 8 were seniors. Three of the top 4 recievers were seniors. Rushing was lead by 1 freshman and 2 sophmores. Defensively they were anchored by seniors on the line and at linebacker. The top 3 tacklers were seniors and after that the numbers dropped off tremendously. I think it will be another tough year for the Cats next year. The year after may be good depending on what other schools lose. But after that it looks to be heading down hill with the freshmen and middle school this year.
Ike Cooter Wrote:According to the stats on KHSAA only 17 players played in more than 6 games. Of those 17, 8 were seniors. Three of the top 4 recievers were seniors. Rushing was lead by 1 freshman and 2 sophmores. Defensively they were anchored by seniors on the line and at linebacker. The top 3 tacklers were seniors and after that the numbers dropped off tremendously. I think it will be another tough year for the Cats next year. The year after may be good depending on what other schools lose. But after that it looks to be heading down hill with the freshmen and middle school this year.

My point exactly. Of the 8 seniors one was the K. I didnt include him in the 7 i mentioned. Counting him and the 2 juniors who played is 10. That is 10 out of 17 that where upper classman. To me when 41% of your team receiveing significant playing time are sophmores and freshman you have a young team.

To take it a step further the next 6 players to play in 4 & 5 games where all freshman and sophmores.

The future looks bright in Prestonsburg.
Well, I'm ready for next season right now.
Does anybody have the schedule for 2013
Who is going to be in the backfield for the blackcats. Any new faces?
Pikeville home
Sheldon Clark away
Knox Central at Clay Co
Powell Co away
Pike Central away
Betsy Layne away
Hazard home Homecoming
Shelby Valley home
Leslie home
Lawrence home Senior Night
Thanks for the info Brancher1978. Damn, 5 straight road games.
Brancher1978 Wrote:Who is going to be in the backfield for the blackcats. Any new faces?

IMO, you will see Grant Anderson & Dalton Frasure starting. Heck of a combo in the backfield with Jarrell at QB.

The probable backup's will be Chase Ousley, Johnathan Mullins, and possibly Chatlin Jarrell. Chatlin doesn't quite have the size, but he is a shifty runner with speed. Johnathan & Chase are more of a FB type size. Both run very hard & are tough to bring down.

Grant & Dalton will be your primary backs though.
#2,000 post in the Blackcat Football Thread Smile
I hate that Belfry isn't on the schedule.
Who was the primary back in JV this past year for pburg?
Who will be our possible receivers? And backup receivers?
PHS Coach Wrote:I hate that Belfry isn't on the schedule.

Me to.
From talking to some friends you can blame that on Pburg because they would not reschedule Belfry from my understanding.
Belfry was a better team last year but it would be nice to get a few calls at Cam Stadium
Who will be in the spots left by the Griffth's, Williams, Kidd, and on the Lin for Vandine, Jarrell, and Newsome.