Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the 1A and 2A classes combine?
Given that 2A has proven to be extremely weak with a team like NCC winning the title, maybe the two classes should be combined since Mayfield (and even the little EKY team) would have probably won 2A handily. It would make for some better competition, and at least a team as bad as NCC wouldn't be winning the title.
Still trolling?
I agree. It would also weed out some of the useless 1st rnd games. NCC would still be in the running, they are always formidable. But no matter how many classes there are, 2A is always looked at as the weakest class across the board. Its the same story each year.
only if you say highlands is a weak program
No, why take a State Championship from Mayfield or NCC ?
I still dont understand why these discussions continue. First, it isn't gonna happen. Second, I dont think it would make anything any more competitive. (The thing that you guys are missing about todays brand of football is the pace. The games are not gonna be as competitive anymore. These spread offenses changed all of that, unless both teams can defend. That has nothing to do with classifications.) Last, if there was any change at all, the very next year some of you guys would be on here crying about that change. Soooooo, lets give it a rest and try and enjoy what the coaches and kids are doing on the field and support that.
mysonis55 Wrote:I still dont understand why these discussions continue. First, it isn't gonna happen. Second, I dont think it would make anything any more competitive. (The thing that you guys are missing about todays brand of football is the pace. The games are not gonna be as competitive anymore. These spread offenses changed all of that, unless both teams can defend. That has nothing to do with classifications.) Last, if there was any change at all, the very next year some of you guys would be on here crying about that change. Soooooo, lets give it a rest and try and enjoy what the coaches and kids are doing on the field and support that.

I agree. No matter how many classes we have, the usual suspects are going to be there in the end. If not in the finals, in the region and semi finals, which will just put a stop to even the mediocre teams getting at least a playoff win.

Six classes has not caused the problem.
WideRight05 Wrote:Given that 2A has proven to be extremely weak with a team like NCC winning the title, maybe the two classes should be combined since Mayfield (and even the little EKY team) would have probably won 2A handily. It would make for some better competition, and at least a team as bad as NCC wouldn't be winning the title.

Alas, WideLeft's parrot makes a return. Weak or not, NewCath won the state title, just like your Birds. 47-0, or winning by 4, it all adds up to the same end result. The fact that it bothers you so much makes it seem even more gratifying.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I agree. No matter how many classes we have, the usual suspects are going to be there in the end. If not in the finals, in the region and semi finals, which will just put a stop to even the mediocre teams getting at least a playoff win.

Six classes has not caused the problem.

football player all puts pads on the same way.hard works what win state championships and good coaching.I like the 6 class system. go williamsburg.:closed:Confusedmoke:
Yes outside of Mayfield Beechwood and Hazard and maybe Pikeville fairview this class is dead. 2A NCC and Caldwell,Co Owensboro,cath,Murray needs some company.
^ you can say that about each class though. The following teams will always have a chance at state, even with traditionally weaker teams

1A: Mayfield, Beechwood, Hazard
2A: NCC, Somerset
3A: Central, Belfry, Bell County
4A: Highlands, CovCath, LexCath, Boyle County
5A: Bowling Green, Warren Central
6A: Trinity, St. Xavier
No, the state has done a very equitable job of splitting classes based on student population. If we are talking about combining classes just because you are not happy with competition, then that sets the wrong tone and does not fully encompass all the proper reasons for splitting. It should be as is, or eliminate classes altogether and allow 1A schools to play for their own separate state title as they do in all other sports.
Since we are talking about this issue based upon the fact that certain teams keep appearing on the big stage, here are some things to keep in mind. Mayfield won 7 of their 9 state titles before the change to 6 classes. Beechwood won I think 10 of there 11 before the change. Danville won either 10 or 11 before the change. Newport Central won I think 2 or 3 before the change. It all boils down to who has the talent and coaching to go along with it. I think the same teams would be there whether there were 3, 4 or 6 classes. I just think the current system gives alot more teams a chance to experience the ride.
An easy way to sort of change things up would be take top 2 teams into playoffs. Thanksgiving weekend then could be considered SEMI-FINALS and following weekend have 1A vs 2A for division I championship, 3A vs 4A div II and 5A vs 6A div III.
While we are at it, why don't we just make it all one class. Then every year we could forgo the playoffs and just mail Trinity their new state trophy. Because it is obvious that we have to many trophies now, we have too many kids having a chance to win one. We shouldn't be a state of opportunity, lets just do it this way so all the old guys setting on the couch will be happy that there aren't too many classes.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Alas, WideLeft's parrot makes a return. Weak or not, NewCath won the state title, just like your Birds. 47-0, or winning by 4, it all adds up to the same end result. The fact that it bothers you so much makes it seem even more gratifying.

It doesn't bother me, but it must be difficult knowing that you're probably the weakest champion in the history of football in KY. Maybe Highlands and NCC will play again one day soon. The score would be "30 going on 40" to 0 before the end of the first quarter.
If you take last year for example, Somerset beats Hazard 14 to 0 at their place. Hazard goes onto win the 1A state championship and Somerset ends up losing to Holy Cross in the semi-state. Mayfield might have won 2a this year but they definitely wouldn't have last year. 2a is not always the weakest class. Even 3 years ago when Somerset played in the state title for 3a (granted we did get shut out 21-0) we still got there. IMO 1a, 2a, and 3a are all comparative in talent.
If Mayfield were at full strength last year in the final game yes they could have won 2a last year.U better go look at our team from last year and think again.
WideRight05 Wrote:It doesn't bother me, but it must be difficult knowing that you're probably the weakest champion in the history of football in KY. Maybe Highlands and NCC will play again one day soon. The score would be "30 going on 40" to 0 before the end of the first quarter.

State champs, who cares. I would love to play Highlands, then I can use the enrollment difference excuse that the Birds have patented.
barnabus_c2001 Wrote:If Mayfield were at full strength last year in the final game yes they could have won 2a last year.U better go look at our team from last year and think again.

Key word here is IF... BUT, they weren't.. I agree they COULD have, but i dont think they WOULD have. Tough to use these words in high school sports when everything is so unpredictable