Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State finals
birdman44 Wrote:Then why dont we just have the games in the Astro-dome? not everyone is 20 years old and/or has way too much time on their hands. and not everyone can afford a hotel room for a hs football game. Think about it for like a second and you'll see.

I cant go to BG and watch the bluebirds win state every year cause i cant take off work for hs football. when the games were in Lou i went cause i could make it work. I dont have kids on the team, just a x-player/fan. Im sure there are a thousands stories like that all-over the state. if the games were in NKY (population and centrality similar to BG) you would feel the same way.

If you have the games centrally you dont need as many hotels DURRRR!

How dare you use logic in this discussion?
oneijoe Wrote:With all due respect, the -only- physical advantage to Papa John's over WKU is crowd capacity. There is no sentimentality attached to playing there - it's just a big place.

Your opinion is your own, not others.
oneijoe Wrote:If the issue is to be more central to the state and having an artificial surface, EKU or Morehead State could each host Finals. If the games were broken into 2 sets of 3 or 3 sets of 2 it could work.

BUT... if all 6 Finals are going to be played at one site, WKU is the only site which makes any sense (outside Louisville) because there will be a number of teams/parents/fans who stay overnight. Neither Richmond nor Morehead have enough hotel space nearby for that many folks at once.

It isn't a question of fairness, it's a question of logistics.

:popcorn:

Well, now we know how you feel about fairness and you won't be getting my vote.

As far as logistics, maybe we should consult the company who advertises logistics. Do they base in Bowling Green or L...........?

BTW, Lexington is still only 25 miles from Richmond and has a lot more rooms available than Bowling Green?

What is your attraction to Bowling Green? Did you attend school there or do you have some other connection?
birdman44 Wrote:If every team drives in to the state championships from the same hwy going the same direction, it's not centrally located. the avg travel time is more for BG for the population of KY than Lex or Lou, period. its a difference of an hour and a half i would guess, which is a 3-4 hr swing driving wise both ways. back in the 90s when the games were in Lou not many teams stayed in hotels, they just drove home. Is this whole thing a BG pledge drive? check out a map, compare the cities to the south west of BG to the cites to north east. you'll get it.

Neither Trinity or PRP spent the night in BG. I doubt Central did even though they played the first game friday morning. I doubt Caldwell spent the night in BG. I doubt Collins spent the night. If Highlands spent the night it was by choice as they played the late game on Friday night. The only teams spent the night in BG were probably Fairview and Belfry...and possibly Mayfield since they played the early game on Friday monrning.

Attendance figures do no support any move back to Louisville and Lexington hasn't held the finals in 50 years.
Caldwell County did spend the night in BG, and took advantage of the extra time to get loose and take time to enjoy the experience. Next year I feel that the Tigers will be all about business in dispatching whichever team is thrown to the Tigers out of the east.
I like having all the games at one site being a former coach regardless the site. I love watching high school football and if the finals were split up it would make it all but impossible to watch them all. I don't understand why our big stadium schools don't put forth a whole lot of effort to court the finals. Seems to me that showcasing their schools would be a good thing. I would like to see all of our top talent play in this state for our schools. I think that Western has a fine facility just not centrally located. EKU would be a good site too if they would upgrade the visitors side to maybe five or six thousand. But I am really opposed to the multiple site idea. The six class system was interesting but needs to go. The four class system worked fine.
Thunder Lips Wrote:Neither Trinity or PRP spent the night in BG. I doubt Central did even though they played the first game friday morning. I doubt Caldwell spent the night in BG. I doubt Collins spent the night. If Highlands spent the night it was by choice as they played the late game on Friday night. The only teams spent the night in BG were probably Fairview and Belfry...and possibly Mayfield since they played the early game on Friday monrning.

Attendance figures do no support any move back to Louisville and Lexington hasn't held the finals in 50 years.

Then why is hotels the big reason for having the games in BG in stead of EKU?
birdman44 Wrote:Then why is hotels the big reason for having the games in BG in stead of EKU?

Hotels have nothing to do with it. 3 reasons it will NEVER be at EKU.

1. Houchens industries
2. State of the art facilities at WKU. EKU facilities are pitiful.
3. Houchens Industries
^ hotels have something to do with it, there has to be an option for teams playing at state and for vip guest of the khsaa like sponsors.
Plus if you have it in Richmond, then the Louisville schools may have to stay over and then you have no room.
Fairness is still the number one thing that should be considered!

DreamKiller, make up your mind. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. Looks like you just want to argue, either way.

Anyway, Louisville is closer to Richmond than Bowling Green.
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:Fairness is still the number one thing that should be considered!

DreamKiller, make up your mind. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. Looks like you just want to argue, either way.

Anyway, Louisville is closer to Richmond than Bowling Green.

DreamKiller, I looked at your post and someone else's concerning the rooms not being a factor and attributed them both to you. I see it was a mistake but it was too late to edit it. My apologies. SORRY!
No problem, MTN, just root for Caldwell County sometime if you are at an event and they are playing and we can call it all square. :Thumbs:
Thunder Lips Wrote:Hotels have nothing to do with it. 3 reasons it will NEVER be at EKU.

1. Houchens industries
2. State of the art facilities at WKU. EKU facilities are pitiful.
3. Houchens Industries

Dumb question: what is Houchens Industries? I know its Houchens Stadium at WKU...

if not EKU could Centre College fit? I feel like that is the most central kentucky college. never been there tho.
birdman44 Wrote:Dumb question: what is Houchens Industries? I know its Houchens Stadium at WKU...

if not EKU could Centre College fit? I feel like that is the most central kentucky college. never been there tho.

Houchen's owns most of Bowling Green! The only reason the KHSAA left Louisville was due to Big East. That will change when U of L is in the ACC. Trinity alumnus is Louisville's Mayor. I think he may make a push for their return.

Ohio splits their games up. Indiana does not. Tennessee does.
thsrocks Wrote:Houchen's owns most of Bowling Green! The only reason the KHSAA left Louisville was due to Big East. That will change when U of L is in the ACC. Trinity alumnus is Louisville's Mayor. I think he may make a push for their return.

Ohio does split their games, but the two stadiums are only about 20 miles apart and they stagger the start times so that:

a. fans who want to attend all games can travel between the games (and they do sell ticket packets for all 6 games) and

b. no fan can stay all day so they get separate admission charges for each game. (in KY, the last time I checked, if you wanted to stay between games no one chases you out, it is just inconvenient and cold).

c. in OHIO, all tickets are sold as reserved seats.

Just like KY, the games (played at Fawcett Stadium in Canton and Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Massillon) are not centrally located. The fans in Ohio also complain that the games are not centrally located. Look for all championships to be played in Ohio Stadium in a couple of years. Now that will be an empty stadium. Ohio's overall attendance in 2012 was lower than the KY overall attendance.
thsrocks Wrote:Houchen's owns most of Bowling Green! The only reason the KHSAA left Louisville was due to Big East. That will change when U of L is in the ACC. Trinity alumnus is Louisville's Mayor. I think he may make a push for their return.

Ohio used to split their games up, they're moving the finals back to Columbus and following the KHSAA format. Why?

Because they hate using 2 stadiums. They don't make nearly as much as what they used to when it was in Columbus. They almost moved it back to Columbus a decade ago, but Stark County started using more volunteers to cut cost. Attendance is way down and the local economy barely gets any boost from the games.

Two stadium approach is dying my friend
Look for UK to put in turf and games be moves to Lexington in the near future! Smile:rockon:
Let 1a, 2a and 3a play at eku and let 4a, 5a and 6a play at wku and let 5a and 6a would be smartest
birdman44 Wrote:Dumb question: what is Houchens Industries? I know its Houchens Stadium at WKU...

Centre's stadium is way too small.
footballfever Wrote:Look for UK to put in turf and games be moves to Lexington in the near future! Smile:rockon:

Been there, well played there, no good, too big

WKU is perfect, short drive, perfect size stadium

It's perfect :rockon: and should never be moved unless they decide to have 1A at Murray which truly would be the perfect place for it
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Been there, well played there, no good, too big

WKU is perfect, short drive, perfect size stadium

It's perfect :rockon: and should never be moved unless they decide to have 1A at Murray which truly would be the perfect place for it

:eyeroll: Why do you think the thread was started? :eyeroll:
Crossbones Wrote::eyeroll: Why do you think the thread was started? :eyeroll:

da genius, do don't get mine apparently
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:da genius, do don't get mine apparently

Apparently!! :lame:
Attendance would go up and stay up if the state adopted a split system like Louisisana just approved. The split between true public school and "select" schools is long over due.