Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic 30, Caldwell County 26 (2A State Championship)
NCC scores a TD with 26 seconds left. Caldwell gets down to the 50, but gets sacked on the final play
Could have listened to this one all day...simply didn't want it to end....Congrats to NCC and Caldwell on their great seasons!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
^and Mayfield can't keep from talking trash in another class' thread
Again well done NCC and Caldwell...Breds take the hardware back to Northern Kentucky!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
barnabus_c2001 Wrote:.

If NewCath turns the ball over 4 times like today, then yeah. If not, I would love to see the game.
Congrats to NCC! Great job turning your season around.
Very, very entertaining game that paints the picture of the parody of Class 2A.

Neither team, IMO, were overly impressive in terms of overall skill level,,, but this was a fantastic display of two pretty evenly matched teams laying it on the line to try and win the gold. Well played NCC and Caldwell!
Good win for NCC. Nice to see another championship trophy come to Campbell County.
Congrats to NCC.
Congrats NCC. Made my dad and uncle, both NCC grads, happy!
BOWLING GREEN – Newport Central Catholic football coach Eddie Eviston likes to take chances in games. Though it cost him early, it may have paid off in the end.

Three plays after senior quarterback Josh Cain connected with junior receiver Mac Franzen on an unscripted 54-yard pass, Cain tossed a four-yard touchdown pass to junior Tyler Lyon with 26 seconds left to play to give NewCath a 30-26 win over Caldwell County in the Class 2A title game at Feix Field/Houchens Stadium.

It is NewCath’s second Class 2A title in the last three seasons under Eviston and its fifth state title overall. They also won a Class 2A title in 1984 and Class A titles in 2005 and 2006).

NewCath’s game-winning drive came after it held Caldwell County (11-4) to a 19-yard field by Brett Seymore with 2:30 remaining that put the Tigers on top, 26-24. NewCath (11-4) forced the field goal by stopping Caldwell County on a 3rd-and-goal play from the Thoroughbreds 2-yard line.

Seymore’s ensuing kickoff went out of bounds at the NewCath 40 as he attempted to squib it down the right side. On the second play from scrimmage Cain rolled right - on what was supposed to be a short pass - and spotted Franzen well behind the Caldwell County defense. The pass hung in the air long enough that by the time Franzen hauled it in as he back-pedaled Caldwell County defenders had caught up enough to tackle him at the Tigers 4.

“We were going to chip away, that was the plan, but it came open, Josh made a good read and got it done,” said Eviston.

“Before the play (Franzen) talked to me and said he was going to run a deep post,” said Cain. “It wasn’t supposed to be a long play, but I looked and he was open and I chucked it down field. I thought someone was going to knock it down. I didn’t think he was going to catch it at all.”

Cain completed 14 of 23 passes for 243 yards and two touchdowns. He was also intercepted twice.

“We have that quarterback/wide receiver connection,” said Franzen. “He saw me going deep and he gave me a chance and I came through for him.”

Franzen finished with 81 yards on four receptions and the 54-yard catch gave him the single-season school record for receiving yards. He finished with 1,143 yards, bettering the old record of 1,109 set by Josh Canafax in 2005.

After a run by Dylan Hayes, who sat out most of the fourth quarter due to a leg cramp, took the ball to the Caldwell County 1, a run by Pete Collopy lost three yards leading Eviston to take a timeout with 30 seconds remaining. He called for Cain to fake a pitch right and when Cain straightened up he lobbed a pass to a wide open Lyon for the touchdown. It was just Lyon’s sixth reception all season, but it was his third touchdown.

“I think everybody expected us to run it and go for the field goal and the way they were stacking the box we thought we could get it,” said Eviston.

The wild finish mirrored what had been a wild game throughout with NewCath rolling up 405 yards total offense and Caldwell County 404 (258 passing by sophomore Elijah Sindelar, who was 21 of 29 and added 54 yards rushing). Neither team punted in the game, and the two teams combined for nine fourth-down conversion attempts.

The strangest fourth-down attempt came late in the third quarter with NewCath leading 21-20 and faced with a 4th-and-1 from its own 15. Hayes, who finished with 106 yards on 27 carries, was stopped for no gain.

NewCath did hold Caldwell County to only a field goal, a 24-yarder by Seymore with 1:40 left in the quarter that put the Tigers on top 23-21.

“I’m an idiot there,” said Eviston. “Our defense was struggling and we tried to sneak one and it didn’t work. It was good our defense held them to three. I put them in a bad position, but no matter what position they’re in they always have my back.”

Cain was intercepted on NewCath’s next possession, but then NewCath corner Noah Freppon, who was in the game for the ailing Hayes, intercepted an overthrown pass by Sindelar at the NewCath 21.

Cain connected with Dan Ruwe for 39 yards to take the ball to the Caldwell County 16, but on 4th-and-1 from the Caldwell County 7, Nathan Grosser was called on to try a 24-yard field goal, which he made with ease to put the Thoroughbreds up, 24-23 with 6:50 remaining.

That set up the wild finish.

NewCath wound up winning its last nine games after starting the season 2-4.

“This game sums up our season,” said Eviston. “These kids just fought and kept fighting. I knew there was something special. It’s a great group of kids. It was a memorable win in a memorable season. It’s the way a state championship game should be.”
http://preps.cincinnati.com/nky
Caldwell’s Elijah Snider threw for two touchdowns and ran for another.
BOWLING GREEN — Newport Central Catholic senior quarterback Josh Cain kept up a family tradition in thrilling style in the Russell Athletic Class 2A championship game on Saturday afternoon.

Cain's father, Jim, was part of NewCath's 1984 state title team, and brother Jake was part of the Thoroughbreds' 2010 championship.

Josh got himself a ring by throwing a 4-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Lyon with 26 seconds left, lifting NewCath to a 30-26 victory at Western Kentucky University's L.T. Smith Stadium.

"My brother and dad won state in their senior years, so it's nice to keep that family legacy going," Cain said.

Caldwell County edged ahead 26-24 on Brett Seymore's 19-yard field goal with 2:30 left, but NewCath didn't flinch.

"We knew we could pass on them because we'd been doing it all day," said Cain, who led the 'Breds on their 60-yard winning drive.

The big gainer was a 39-yard pass from Cain to Mac Franzen. Two plays later, Cain lofted the TD to Lyon.

"It was right timing," Lyon said. "They were watching for the run, and we just hit them over the top."

NewCath Coach Eddie Eviston figured Caldwell County might be expecting a run to set up a field goal.

"They were stacking the box, so we thought we'd have a shot at (the pass to Lyon)," he said.

NewCath got its second title in three years under Eviston, and fifth overall. The previous three championships came under Bob Schneider, now an assistant coach.

Cain passed for 243 yards and two TDs. Franzen had four catches for 81 yards and a score. Dylan Hayes led the NewCath ground attack as he bulled his way for 106 yards and two TDs.

Eviston said the 'Breds' come-from-behind victory was a fitting finish to the Thoroughbreds' season. They lost four of their first six games, but never gave up their goal of a championship.

"We hit some bumps in the road, but the kids fought through all that adversity to get here," Eviston said.

"This game sums up our season, from first quarter to the fourth, we never gave up and kept battling."

Caldwell County, led by Elijah Sindelar, gave the 'Breds all they could handle but came up short in their bid for a third state title.

Sindelar, a strong-armed 6-foot-4, 190-pound sophomore, completed 21 of 29 passes for 258 yards and two TDs.

Senior Martez Sivils had 10 catches for 123 yards and a TD. Sophomore Jaylen Boyd rushed for 92 yards for the Tigers, who twice had to settle for field goals when they drove inside the 10.

"That's how our defense played all year," Eviston said. "Caldwell County was slashing us pretty good, but we didn't break, and holding them to field goals turned out to be huge."

Franzen led the NewCath defense with 7.5 tackles. Elliott Rust had 6.5, including a pair of quarterback sacks.

"I couldn't ask any more of our kids," Coach David Barnes said. "We had a shot to win, and that's all you can ask. The kids played their hearts out.

"We've got some young sophomores and juniors, so this will be a learning experience for them and hopefully we'll get back here."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/12/01/24281...rylink=cpy
Congrats, private school.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Very, very entertaining game that paints the picture of the parody of Class 2A.

Neither team, IMO, were overly impressive in terms of overall skill level,,, but this was a fantastic display of two pretty evenly matched teams laying it on the line to try and win the gold. Well played NCC and Caldwell!
Then you obviously have no eye for talent. There were a few division 1 talented players on this field today. The QB for Caldwell will certainly be playing on Saturdays.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Congrats, private school.

You guys are either too lazy to do research, or you are conspiracy theorists. What do you know about the demographics of NewCath? What advantage do they have over Caldwell County?
Gitback Coach,
The private school concept. Private vs Public, the six class system was to throw a bone to the public schools as a compromise peace offering when the vote to move the private schools into their own state championship playoff events was voted in; but on the next day overturned by the KHSAA Board of Controls.

I'm just stating facts, Owensboro Cath, NCC, Lou. DeSales, Trinity, St. X you see where this is going in football, and I'm sure at the moment I'm leaving many out. The Caldwell Co. post may have been taking that approach, that NCC because being private can recruit the area, and realizing also that Northern Ky. has long been known for it's football. Ft. Thomas, Beechwood, Cov. Cath, NCC and realizing that Ft. Thomas, and Beechwood are not private. But the Covington area is what the 4th largest city in Ky.
The arguement is valid when you look at the number of state titles won not just in football; but in all KHSAA sports by private schools.
Again, Ft Thomas is in NewCath's feeder district. Are kids going to go to Highlands for free for more academic programs and bigger program, of PAY tuition for less academic programs and a smaller class of football? Maybe, just maybe, alumni send their kids to NewCath for the structure of religious education. Use common sense. Like I said before, the roster is full of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation Thoroughbreds. Look at many of the successful programs and you will see that theme repeat.
Ole Miss Rebels Wrote:Gitback Coach,
The private school concept. Private vs Public, the six class system was to throw a bone to the public schools as a compromise peace offering when the vote to move the private schools into their own state championship playoff events was voted in; but on the next day overturned by the KHSAA Board of Controls.

I'm just stating facts, Owensboro Cath, NCC, Lou. DeSales, Trinity, St. X you see where this is going in football, and I'm sure at the moment I'm leaving many out. The Caldwell Co. post may have been taking that approach, that NCC because being private can recruit the area, and realizing also that Northern Ky. has long been known for it's football. Ft. Thomas, Beechwood, Cov. Cath, NCC and realizing that Ft. Thomas, and Beechwood are not private. But the Covington area is what the 4th largest city in Ky.
The arguement is valid when you look at the number of state titles won not just in football; but in all KHSAA sports by private schools.
Just to clear this up. NCC cannot recruit. They have district lines they have to abide by. It's so bad that, they are not allowed to go into all of the catholic grade schools. However, the public schools can, ie. highlands. You also must take into consideration the amount of private schools there are in this area. Kids choose to come here, they are not recruited. And as stated in another post, most are kids of parents who attended NCC.
Thanks for the pics, Stardust! My Tigers played their hearts out, but came up just short. Congrats NCC.
Thanks for the info; see you made a great point and if people are reading. When most folks see NCC; they think ok Catholic private they get anyone they want and go after. Hope you see how things can be put in general and leads to the thought process.
Caldwell's QB is a playmaker, loved watching him play