Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College football's future?
I thought this was pretty interesting when I heard this. With schools wanting to move or actually moving to a different conference every day, we all know college football will be very different in a few years. However, I heard this prediction tonight that actually didn't sound crazy.

To sum it up, this is what he thinks will happen in the next 20 years:

- Big Ten, SEC, Pac 12 and Big 12 will expand to 16 teams
- ACC and Big East will merge
- BCS playoffs will expand to 8 teams

but it doesn't stop there

- BCS will look to expand playoffs again, but in the process will be absorbed or fizzled out by the NCAA
- NCAA will split teams up into 4 regions; Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, and West
- NCAA will expand playoffs to 16 teams, 4 out of each region, but will still have other bowl games

I don't buy it, but it's not crazy to think it could happen. what do you guys think will happen?
Bowl money trumps common sense every day.
^ i agree 100% which is why i don't think it'll happen
Some way, some how, the NCAA will invite these corporate sponors of bowl games to be involved in the playoff system. You know how these corporations love the Super Bowl and the Big Dance. There will be a few bowl games, but most bowl games will now be playoff "bowls" with a bigger selling point because fans will pay to see their team compete for a "true" NC.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:Some way, some how, the NCAA will invite these corporate sponors of bowl games to be involved in the playoff system. You know how these corporations love the Super Bowl and the Big Dance. There will be a few bowl games, but most bowl games will now be playoff "bowls" with a bigger selling point because fans will pay to see their team compete for a "true" NC.

The playoffs will BE bowl games.
In a 4 team playoff, 2 teams might get two bowl games and more money.

What im wondering is, what does this do to conference championship games?

For example, i believe the SEC would be smart to end theres in a playoff system. If it were a 4 team playoff this year, youd have 3 SEC teams in it.

Also, why would we want to keep playing that extra game when youll get it in the playoffs and with the risk of losing and falling out of the top 4, theyd be smart to end it.
I hope all of this does happen. I have said all this before and I will say it again. I at one point loved to watch the NFL but the last few years I just can't stomach it anymore. The players are to whiny about money and players and coaches have no loyalty to a team anymore and I think more and more fans of the NFL are starting to feel this same way. I think they are just wishing for something better. I'm not sayin that college ball don't have it's own problems but all in all IMO I think college football is more exciting and more pure then the NFL. I believe that if all the sponsors of the bowl games start to sponsor the playoff games, they will make just as much if not more money and if they ever get a playoff that is more like the NFL then I truly believe that they could give the NFL a run for it's money. Just imagine if we got an Ohio and Michigan or a Notre Dame and USC or even a Texas and Oklahoma or maybe even a Florida and Florida state championship. Call me crazy but I think that a game like that could just about match the Super Bowl.