Poll: Does your coaching staff issue written scouting reports to your team?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
YES
85.71%
NO
14.29%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Written Scouting Reports
Attempting to establish the norm. Simple question. Do your team's coaches create, issue and teach a written scouting report to the players in preparation for the upcoming game?

It has been a long time since I played and I was surprised recently to hear of some teams that no longer do this. Is this now the norm?

Would also appreciate your school's name, but understand if you might not want to give it. Interested to see what % are issuing written scouting reports. Really interested to see what % of top level programs are or are not. Appreciate the help. Would love to hear from many of the teams in the semis and finals.

So if you would:

1. School Name
2. Yes or No as to the question re coaching staff issuing scouting reports.

Interested to see if this is a thing of the past or remains a vital part of high school football today! Thanks!
Somerset Yes
Thanks Cellking. Appreciate the reply. Good luck tonight!

If anyone else is willing to reply or just participate in the poll I appreciate it. Would love to hear from the traditional powers and all others as well. It would be interesting to see if anyone is having consistent high levels of success without issuing scouting reports to players.

Hoping there is someone on here from Mayfield, Beechwood, NCC, Belfry, Highlands, Boyle Co, Bowling Green, Central, Scott Co, Trinity that might share this information. Wondering if this is one of the things that separates the best from the rest?

Thanks!
Cellking Wrote:Somerset Yes
I miss looking at the Scouting Report each week for SHS, since my son graduated.
Jumper Dad Wrote:I miss looking at the Scouting Report each week for SHS, since my son graduated.

Me too, they are always very thorough and in depth. Even from a fan's perspective they are interesting to look at. I had an uncle come up to watch a game one time and as he was looking through our scouting report for that week's opponent he looked up and said to me, "Isn't it cheating to have all of this information on the other team?" I had to explain that it all just comes from game film. The coaching staff at Somerset has always put a lot of work into the scouting reports for the players.
I've been on teams and staffs were we've given out written reports

I like giving the players a report during films so they can understand what I see.
toussaints Wrote:I've been on teams and staffs were we've given out written reports

I like giving the players a report during films so they can understand what I see.

:Thumbs: Thanks man!

If you have been involved with teams as a coach that did not give scouting reports was the level of understanding or preparedness less than was the case with teams using them?
KyFootballFanatic Wrote::Thumbs: Thanks man!

If you have been involved with teams as a coach that did not give scouting reports was the level of understanding or preparedness less than was the case with teams using them?

I'd say yes, but it depends on the type of kids you have. Some kids just need to see and feel it on the field to understand the game plan. I think the most important part is how the game plan is presented to the kid on and off paper.
Danville Admirals: NO

Danville fans have seen many of the intangibles necessary for championship football slip away from the program. It has been a painful decline for fans and former players. Frankly, Somerset recently has reminded us of us, of teams we remember and wish that we were. So it is no surprise to see that Somerset was operating with a painstakingly detailed scouting report and we were not taking the pains at all. The same lack of effort and attention to detail has pervaded the program for some time, which is obvious to everybody except one or two people.

The purpose of this post was to illustrate one of the intangibles that good football programs rely on: scouting reports. I hoped for more replies, but appreciate the ones I got. Somerset guys, you were right on cue. If only a few replied you were the ones I needed to hear from most.
Yes
Betsy Layne

Scouting report is major for them.
With Hudl becoming mainstream, "written" scouting reports are a thing of the past IMO. For those of you that have Hudl, you know what I mean. For those of you that don't know what it is; it's the football film editing, scouting, recruiting, etc KING of the football world.

Scouting reports on steroids can be generated through it. It's taken the high school, college and pro football world my storm.

Written scouting reports, IMO, are one of the bottom things on a totem pole to make successful programs (however, coaches need them). It's one of those things that "look good", and is popular to say, but thats about it.

Many of these successful coaches who didn't manually make 40 copies of 20 page scouting reports to hand out to their kids/teams, were great at implenting scouting reports during the week through practice through things like Defensive/Formation Recognition on Monday's and during Team periods throughout the rest of the week.

Like I said, IMO, they "look good"...about like High School coaches who have the color coordinated, excel spreadsheets for they play sheets. Either dangling from their belt loop or on wristbands. A lot of fans see that, and think that means something...like instant credibility. "Well, they print out 20 page scouting reports and have these very detailed, organized play sheets. They can coach!" Wrong. It takes a lot more than just looking the part.

Now, I know great coaches who do the above, but I also know more that aren't....but, they sure make it look like they know what they are doing.
Knox Central

No
Most school simply don't have the resources for this.
Knox uses game film for most of their scouting, my son has come home with several DVDs of game of the upcoming opponent, to watch on his time. To tell the truth I like it too cause I get to watch all the games with him. That is worth more to me than anything else.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:With Hudl becoming mainstream, "written" scouting reports are a thing of the past IMO. For those of you that have Hudl, you know what I mean. For those of you that don't know what it is; it's the football film editing, scouting, recruiting, etc KING of the football world.

Scouting reports on steroids can be generated through it. It's taken the high school, college and pro football world my storm.

Written scouting reports, IMO, are one of the bottom things on a totem pole to make successful programs (however, coaches need them). It's one of those things that "look good", and is popular to say, but thats about it.

Many of these successful coaches who didn't manually make 40 copies of 20 page scouting reports to hand out to their kids/teams, were great at implenting scouting reports during the week through practice through things like Defensive/Formation Recognition on Monday's and during Team periods throughout the rest of the week.

Like I said, IMO, they "look good"...about like High School coaches who have the color coordinated, excel spreadsheets for they play sheets. Either dangling from their belt loop or on wristbands. A lot of fans see that, and think that means something...like instant credibility. "Well, they print out 20 page scouting reports and have these very detailed, organized play sheets. They can coach!" Wrong. It takes a lot more than just looking the part.

Now, I know great coaches who do the above, but I also know more that aren't....but, they sure make it look like they know what they are doing.
Hudl is unreal.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Hudl is unreal.

THE greatest thing since sliced bread. Like I said, "written scouting reports on steroids" and in half, heck, maybe even a 1/3 or 1/4 of the time as the "old" way.
Cant speak for how they handle it now. At Mayfield we got a 2 deep depth chart and at least. 5 pages of plays. It was the scout teams job to memorize and execute the offensive and defensive plays at practice. I remember before Paul Leahy became HC and was the Defensive Coach he would let me out oh his World Civ Class to make copies of the report. I remember back in those days late 80s watching at least one game film before every practice as well. Reel to Reel stuff. Those were the days.
3 years experience using Hudl. I would rather hand written reports. The time and money it would take to train a high school coaching staff is almost just not worth it.
Real Badman Wrote:3 years experience using Hudl. I would rather hand written reports. The time and money it would take to train a high school coaching staff is almost just not worth it.

Same here with the years experience. We kind of did self/group trainings the first year of it during our Two-A-Day week using a film from the year before. No problems (Unless you count not knowing what heck to do with it, since it was mind blowing, brand new). Like anything, the more experience, the better everybody gets. Everybody "Happy, Happy, Happy". TongueirateSho
Seems like a good project for the Mathematics Dept. @ the school. They can come up with patterns and tendencies.
Twitter: @tc_analytics