Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martial Artist roll call
How many BGR members are Martial Artist??? :redboxer: :glassjoe:

And if so.... please state your style(s), rank(s) and how long you have been practicing.
Central Shaolin - Earned my yellow and blue belts when I was 10, in 1995. The instructor took another job, so he had to quit teaching. My dad is a brown belt in the same style, so he kept me sharp on all my material in my younger years.

Then in 2005, a 6th degree black belt began to teach in my area, I earned my green belt. And was studying for my brown belt. But as fate would have it, he stopped teaching lack of student interest.... expect me.

Present day.... I am still a green belt..... studying for my brown belt in Shaolin. Hopefully this time next year, I will have my 1st degree black belt.
I wrestled in high school.... 112 lbs. weight class. The great thing about studying shaolin for so long, is 85% of the Chin-Na and Pressure Point techniques are highly effective in a clinch and on the ground.

Wrestling/Submission Grappling is my strongest fighting style.

I've never belted in any type of jiu-jitsu/judo styles. But I've attended numerous seminars taught by high level jiu-jitsu black belts/wrestling camps.

I also was an asst. instructor in a mma style class for about over a year (February 2008-July 2009)
I wrestled in High School and always wanted to go further to learn MMA. Just don't have to the time to train between work and school.
"Kentucky Football needs to be and will be a championship contender in the SEC."- Mitch Barnhart
I nunchucked a mater can once.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Confusederiously: LOLConfusednicker:
Im a kung fu orange belt.
Trained by Chet Li (First Cousin Once Removed of Jet Li)

I can kill you in 475 ways using only my belt buckle.

I also wear Tap Out Tshirts and Affliction Tshirts even though im getting old and fat.
But its the cool thing to do.
I would not consider myself a martial artist, but i did take Goju Ryu Karate in my younger days.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I would not consider myself a martial artist, but i did take Goju Ryu Karate in my younger days.
Same here. I tried it for awhile in my high school and just after days, and just never could get into it. I don't even remember the style. My instructor taught in EKY, through some guy in Lexington. He let you option to go to Lexington with him to try for your belts, or just not get belts and continue to study. All in all, I think I stuck with it about nine months.
The style I currently train in is freestyle...a mixture of Muai Thai and Boxing. I worked with an MMA instructor out of Lexington and he got me started on a training regiment. He has since moved so I remodeled my garage into a home MMA gym.

I have been a fan of martial arts as a kid, took some Taekwondo classes but didn't take it seriously until 7 years ago and that was just doing somethings here and there. Two years ago I was diagnosed with a heart condition that could be fatal which prompted me to get more involved in training. I choose an MMA style of training because I enjoy the sport so I felt that I would train better if it was something I enjoyed than just running and lifting weights.

And it helps me release some aggression....
I really would like to take up Muay Thai but I think i'm a little old to start now.. I did however use to box in high school.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
I know Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Kung Fu and about three othe Chinese words !!!!!!!

BONSAIIIIIII !!!!!!!! -------Wait, I think that has something to do with a tree.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
crazytaxidriver Wrote:I really would like to take up Muay Thai but I think i'm a little old to start now.. I did however use to box in high school.

You are never too old to start martial arts....you may have to do a little extra stretching and start off slow but don't let that stop you.
Trust me...... Martial Arts gets in your blood. The first time you spar, you either hate it or love it. There is no middle ground.

My lead instructor (I have an issue calling anybody a 'master'.... except Jesus) has been a black belt since '79; Or so he says, he's getting older and can't remember, lol. And he currently holds the rank of 6th degree black/red belt. True martial arts kata's (form's, techniques) are like words to a dictionary. The more kata's you know, the bigger your martial arts 'vocabulary' will be. Animal forms, Druken forms, Weapon forms, Balance/Power forms...... everything adds to the 'vocabulary'.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Trust me...... Martial Arts gets in your blood. The first time you spar, you either hate it or love it. There is no middle ground.

My lead instructor (I have an issue calling anybody a 'master'.... except Jesus) has been a black belt since '79; Or so he says, he's getting older and can't remember, lol. And he currently holds the rank of 6th degree black/red belt. True martial arts kata's (form's, techniques) are like words to a dictionary. The more kata's you know, the bigger your martial arts 'vocabulary' will be. Animal forms, Druken forms, Weapon forms, Balance/Power forms...... everything adds to the 'vocabulary'.

Do you believe that Che exists?
judgementday Wrote:Do you believe that Che exists?

I believe in a 'tier-style' approach.

- You have to be taught/led/instructed by somebody who has the knowledge of what they are teaching; Have used what their teaching in a real-life situations; Have a direct lineage to the 'origin' of the style/system they are teaching (not just show up at an mma gym and learn some moves)

- The student has to practice often and correctly. Only training 1-2 hours a week will not make anybody a good martial artist. Most good instructors only teach their students 3-5 new form's/techniques that are part of a bigger/longer "Road" or "Kata" for belt rank advancement.

- Finally, once the student 'comes in to their own' in the style, they will begin to train what they feel suits them better. Longer limbed people typically use more hand and feet strikes. Shorter limbed people typically use more knee and elbow strikes. Some people are more aggressive, some people are more passive. But that is what makes a martial artist... it's their "Art".

So to answer your question of actual "Che" existing, No. I believe with proper instruction, practicing and honing your art is what makes a martial artist.
^was just curious.

I have come across people who claim Che exists, almost like the "force"...lol
I am a very good Martial Artist.

I drew this, let me know if you think I am a good Martial Artest...

[Image: http://images.wikia.com/vampcat/images/f...olence.jpg]
judgementday Wrote:^was just curious.

I have come across people who claim Che exists, almost like the "force"...lol

Some styles do firmly believe that "Che" is a real as the Earth its self. And no, I'm not historian on every single type of martial arts around the world.

BUT I think the usage of the word "Che" comes from very very old temples in China/Japan/Korea area. A student who was a little faster/stronger than most people and would practice more than most and would 'develop' their techniques/skill sets faster. Thus, making that student seem to have 'Something Super-Natural' or "Che" when they would fight.