Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County Baseball 2013
Thoughts and predictions for the Black Bears for the upcoming season. Who will step up?
bigguy989 Wrote:Thoughts and predictions for the Black Bears for the upcoming season. Who will step up?
You tell us Big Fella, who is gonna step up?
Well I just wanted to hear a little baseball talk. I think Boggs will have a dandy year with Bond and Dozier being 3 seniors on the team. Bailey, Leisge, Rutherford, Cornett and Jenkins being the jr's and Fields, Doss, Jenkins and Cornett as Soph. I know I probably left a few off but anyway I am looking forward to seeing a good season for the Black Bears.
bigguy989 Wrote:Well I just wanted to hear a little baseball talk. I think Boggs will have a dandy year with Bond and Dozier being 3 seniors on the team. Bailey, Leisge, Rutherford, Cornett and Jenkins being the jr's and Fields, Doss, Jenkins and Cornett as Soph. I know I probably left a few off but anyway I am looking forward to seeing a good season for the Black Bears.
Some of these kids have been working hard in the off season, I believe they will show some leadership for the Bears in 2013. Also, looking forward to watching this talented pitching staff!!
Does ayone have any information about the Black Bears schedule this year? Is their schedule out? Do most HS teams have a completed schedule by this time or is it normally a little later in the year before it is complete? Just curious!
-
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...ba13/39023
-
Just run of the mill right now, maybe a trip or two to Lexington might help?
IMO, it looks like Harlan County has really beefed up there schedule. I expect them to have a great season. Just fell short last year. But I expect them to FINALLY get over the 1st round hump this year and hopefully make a deep run. They have the talent and team to do it. They've been working hard this off-season.
They will be led by their 3 seniors, but I expect the strong Junior class to be the defining factor that pushes them over the edge to be a very good team. I expect one or two Juniors to have a breakout season, if not more. And don't get me wrong they will need their senior leadership.
Who will play SS for HC this year?
In my opinion either Bailey or Leisge. That's my best guess.
They have alot of options and alot of depth at pitching.

CF Bond Sr Utility N Cornett, T Cornett,
LF Dozier Sr
SS Bailey Jr
C Boggs Sr
3B Jenkins Jr
1B Leisge Jr
RF Rutherford Jr
2B Fields/Doss Soph/Soph
P Boggs
Bond
Leisge
Bailey
Jenkins
Tyler Cornett
Sizemore

Possible kids to step up and get some action: Jared Sizmore 8th P, Brendan Rutherford 8th C, Nick Jarvis Fr OF, Josh Lee Fr OF Pinch runner, Gage Burkhart DH Fresh.

Injured Z Jenkins will leave a spot open for somebody to step up and be the DH.
With 7 starters being upper classmen, expectations are high with this group. They have put in a LOT of work in the offseason. Coach Lewis is really challenging this group with the schedule he has put together. The 8th grade duo of Sizemore and Rutherford and going to be fun to watch grow together over the next few years, especially as a battery. Both are very talented pitchers and should provide a nice 1:2 punch down the road.
I am very excited to see how well the Bears do this season. Boggs, Bond, Bailey, Dozier, Leisge, Doss, Rutherford, the eldest, Jenkins, Fields, and I am looking for Burkhart, Sizemore, & Jarvis to really have an impacted this season as well.
And I believe their will have to be some shuffling around behind the plate, so Boggs can pitch. I believe Bailey is too valuable in the field to have to use back there as much as last season, and the 8th gr. will need some practice reps in jv before the step to varsity. Possibly the fr Jarvis catcher/outfielder could do some time back there, very big for his age, hard worker. Dedication & determination is all it will take for this team to go further this season. Looking for the two lefty pitchers Burkhart & Sizemore to do well too. Dozier & Bond will have excellent seasons, as will Bailey & Boggs. Fields & Doss r great infielders & base hitters, look for them to be rounding the bases a lot. Leisge is an excellent pitcher, Rutherford will have a much better season I do believe. Its all going to come together & be one heck of a ride. I Can't Wait !
I to agree the Jared Sizemore & Brendun Rutherfod duo will be nice to watch. 2013 promises to be a big year for the BEARS. Its going to be great watching Tyler Boggs,Scotty Bailey,James Bond,Andrew Dozier,Connor Leisge,Zach Doss,the return of Anthony Jenkins,Tyler Cornett,Blake Rutherford,Sawyer Fields,and two freshman that came up last season Gage Burkhart a talented LH pitcher/hitter and Nick Jarvis who is a tough catcher & outfielder. Every game should be very exciting to watch.
I know that nearly the whole team has been working out all during the off season. Most of the team should be in very good shape come game time. The Bears have a lot of talent. I am sure Coach Lewis has a lot of great plans that will totally blow the Bears opponents away. Tons of pitching, and some excellent hitting. And some secrets behind the plate that teams won't be ready for. Can't wait to see the Bears tear into their opponents this season.
Confusedinglepar The Black Bear Seniors & Juniors should be hot this season, really excited to see them take the next step & keep this team going to the top come tournament time. I also believe that the Sophmores will be fun to watch & I am looking for a couple of Freshman to really make a difference on the field & in the batting order. There is so much talent on this team, I am really happy for Coach Lewis. He is a great coach and I believe this season is the Bears time to shine. Really can't wait to see them beat the middlesboro team. They are the rudest bunch in the entire region right down to their coaching staff, who promote the terrible unsportsmanlike behavior of their boys. Hope the Bears put knock them off their high horse & back down to reality. Because 2013 is going to be a defining season for H.C., I do believe Coach Lewis will take this team to a whole new level.
bigguy989..former CPD officer 989....your son is a very talented and a joy to watch. On the baseball field he is always very impressive. I just moved here last year just in time for baseball season and really enjoyed seeing him and the entire Black Bear team play on the new field. Very impressed with the Harlan County programs & their fields for the ball teams are extremely nice. Compared to the fields & schools I watched in S.Carolina, Harlan County is one of the top in the country in my book. If I had a son I would want him to play for Coach Lewis and the Harlan County Black Bears. A great group of young men & ball players.
Looking for Coach Lewis to have an extremely good season with all the talent he has on the H.C.Bears team. See them going a lot further than last year.
Coach Lewis is very blessed to have the depth he does. He has a lot of options for just about every position. As for the catcher ordeal, if Bailey doesn't go behind the plate, maybe you could put T Cornett back there. That's the position the kid really shined at till his 8th grade year until Coach Lewis moved him to 3rd. Just an idea. I honestly believe that the positions and batting orders could possibly be switched around so much due to the fact when somebody playing the field has to pitch you have to move people around putting in other players for their positions for that game. Should be exciting. Anybody know if we have any scrimmages scheduled?
Haven't read any of the thread, but what kind of schedule does Harlan have this year? I think part of their problem come tournament time is they really aren't "tested" during the regular season.
T. Cornett is a great pitcher & a good third baseman, but he is not mobile enough to be behind the plate anymore, it would be a massacre of base runners stealing around like a merry go round...not quick enough, but a great pitcher. Maybe if he would put forth some effort to lose weight & but not right now. The catchers are fine with Boggs, Bailey if he wants to,freshman Jarvis, & 8th gr. Rutherford, the catcher position is fine.
It was just a thought. . He's got just a strong of arm as the others, besides Boggs. I would say if he got dedicated to the position, then he would be the guy to put back there next year. His biggest contribution would be with his bat though. But anyway, the Black Bears are going to be a solid, well-rounded team in 2013.
Think that Cornett was a good catcher and a good 3rd baseman but his main deal will be with his pitching, after the top 2 pitching you could throw 4 into the mix and not miss a bit. As catcher Boggs is one of the best in the region if not the best, when be pitches we will have to see what Lewis does, Nick Cornett might be a possibility back there he has a good arm and moves good.
Lets remember that it is against the rules of this site to reveal someones identity. This also include putting someones name down, even if your wrong. Revealing someones identity will result in a permanent ban from the site, no exceptions! If you have any questions, contact me, or another mod.
This Is Sleepy...the real Sleepy, I am ready for some Black Bear Baseball. I really hope this season is a great one for the whole team & the coaches. One week and we will see the results of all the hard work our boys have put in to better themselves out on the field. GO BEARS !! Good Luck To Coach Lewis, Coach Chamberlain, Coach Estep, & Coach Steele..and to all the players. THIS IS YOUR SEASON IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH !! BEARS ALL THE WAY !!
Some people have been asking if I was on here because of some guy named mountainman511, that was not me...this is, I liked some of the things he said, but some of it is rude. I just want to see the HC BLACK BEARS kick some butt this season. Go Bears.
7 Days until the first game at Harlan County Black Bear Field...I can't wait to see the Bears Win !!
Go bears !!!
Black bear baseball , r u ready to rumble !!!!