Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did we just have an earthquake?
Anyone else feel a shake about 20-30 minutes ago? Was sitting in the house and felt the whole house shake.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Anyone else feel a shake about 20-30 minutes ago? Was sitting in the house and felt the whole house shake.
USGS reports a 4.3 magnitude earthquake centered 8 miles west of Whitesburg at 12:08.
Wow, felt it here in Richmond.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i felt it alittle bit up here in nky, my brother said he felt it in louisville
Felt it in Middlesboro , friends in Knoxville and Kingsport TN felt it.
According to this source tremors were felt from Cincinnati Ohio to Atlanta Ga.

"Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/393976/4-3-magn...K28pCtA.99
Well not only did it shake Harlan County like crazy, but the sound was incredible!! Pappy Bear thought my washing machine was spinning out and got off balance.
What would the possibility be of old works caving in?? You know rib rolls, roof collapse and coal blow outs? Could that trigger a richter scale reading??
^
Interesting point.

I didnt feel anything here.
Granny Bear Wrote:What would the possibility be of old works caving in?? You know rib rolls, roof collapse and coal blow outs? Could that trigger a richter scale reading??
Zero chance that this earthquake is related to roof falls in coal mines. The epicenter was 0.7 miles below the surface. The deepest coal mines in the country are in Alabama, and none of them are deeper than 0.4 miles below the surface. If roof falls could cause earthquakes that could be felt hundreds of miles away, then longwall mining, which depends on timely roof falls, would be illegal.
I was on my motorcycle, heading to Lexington, and I didn't feel a thing.
I never felt nothing, but my dad and mom live 4 miles from me and they felt it.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Hoot..
That thought just struck my mind.
Granny Bear Wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me, Hoot..
That thought just struck my mind.
In the event of an earthquake, you would probably be safer in an underground coal mine than on the surface - you are definitely safer in a cave. When the DC area was hit with the earthquake that damaged the Washington Monument, I was working on the 12th floor of a 13 story building. Feeling the building sway from that height was a very scary feeling. Most people's first thought was a terrorist bombing - it took a few seconds to even consider that it might have been an earthquake.
Epicenter was less than 1/2 mile from my home. Some structural damage to homes and churches nearby.
Wow UKisN1!! Hope there were no injuries!!

Tell you something, Hoot....I can't imagine anything more frightening than the scenario you just described. I don't like heights anyway, and to be swaying 12 stories up??? No thank you!!

Is there any way that this could be associated with the New Madrid fault?
TheRealVille Wrote:I was on my motorcycle, heading to Lexington, and I didn't feel a thing.

You drive a motorcycle? I always pictured you in a minivan. Smile
Deathstar 80 Wrote:You drive a motorcycle? I always pictured you in a minivan. Smile
I've got two Harley's and tattoos all over. :biggrin: The green one is 22 years old.

[Image: http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/...0544_n.jpg]

[Image: http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/...G_0841.jpg]
I was driving between Lancaster and Berea or at the Berea B.M.E concert during this, I am not sure where I was at the time of it.
I was on my couch and I felt it and heard it in Johnson Co. I knew what it was as soon as it hit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
I was in the middle of love making. I just thought I was REALLY GOOD!!!!
^
Confusednicker:

Its not love making when your by yourself.
:thatsfunn:thatsfunnConfusednicker:
I had just finished carrying some firewood and was sitting on a bench with my hand on the wood when I felt it. I often feel the earth shake from blasting on nearby strip mines (well, I used to feel blasts but the mines have all shut down now) but this was different. It was a little more intense and lasted longer.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Confusednicker:

Its not love making when your by yourself.

This made me laugh out loud.
Granny Bear Wrote:Wow UKisN1!! Hope there were no injuries!!

Tell you something, Hoot....I can't imagine anything more frightening than the scenario you just described. I don't like heights anyway, and to be swaying 12 stories up??? No thank you!!

Is there any way that this could be associated with the New Madrid fault?

Yesterday was active worldwide. Earth must off gotten into some good baked beans on Friday.

A 6.8 quake struck Burma as well.
Felt it in Floyd Co. It was a wild feeling.
I was on a lane with ROTC cadets and it came over the radio that the TOC felt an earthquake. Didn't believe it until I began getting text messages from home.