Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County kids and College Football..what is the problem?
You know a lot of people have got on the PC football coaches for not recruiting the area, but the truth is they have. However, when the kids come into camp they usually quit, therefore there are not a lot of Pike County kids on the roster. I can think of a bunch from Belfry, Phelps, Shelby Valley, and Pikeville that have done this including some very good ones. I believe they are overwhelmed by the speed of college football and how good the NAIA really is. What are your thoughts?
I think they even have a few from Prestonsburg.
I know of a couple of boys who schollys were pulled and given to out of state players.
Pirate Pal Wrote:I know of a couple of boys who schollys were pulled and given to out of state players.

That and the entire staff has been "thuggish", for lack of better words.
Mr. Right Wrote:That and the entire staff has been "thuggish", for lack of better words.

True that homie!!!! Smile
Pirate Pal Wrote:True that homie!!!! Smile
I know who you all are talking about now.....that was a bad deal.:redboxer:
But it is true..As much talent that is supposedly in Pike County..Hardly anyone ever makes a name for themselves..
What don't you all say what you really mean? The team went 7-3 and made it to the playoffs. I think they did a heck of a job recruiting, and they had two sign free agent deals in the NFL. I don't think they would have had the team they had just recruiting the area. Plus who do you give a scholarship to? I guy that runs a 4.4 forty and is 6'3" 225 or a local kid. Well if "thuggish" is what you all want to call it, than fine. But I know a lot of those "thugs" now have degrees, only by getting a football scholarship. By the way Belfry leads this category of quitting college football.
HazzBeen Wrote:What don't you all say what you really mean? The team went 7-3 and made it to the playoffs. I think they did a heck of a job recruiting, and they had two sign free agent deals in the NFL. I don't think they would have had the team they had just recruiting the area. Plus who do you give a scholarship to? I guy that runs a 4.4 forty and is 6'3" 225 or a local kid. Well if "thuggish" is what you all want to call it, than fine. But I know a lot of those "thugs" now have degrees, only by getting a football scholarship. By the way Belfry leads this category of quitting college football.

One was a guy who couldn't make the grades at N.C. State, flunked out of a JUCO school, but yet he makes the grade at Pikeville College.

One was a guy who couldn't make the grades at Ohio State, then Campbellsville rejected him, but yet he makes the grade at Pikeville College.

I know kids that go to Pikeville College, and a few who are on the football team. I hear the stories of the things that these fine, outstanding young men do. From smoking pot on the bus trip to Pikeville high school's field, to cussing out the coaches during practice, to never going to class, yet they still get on the field because of the win at all cost attitudes of the coaching staff.

Personally, I'd rather go 1-9 as a coach than have half of those guys on my football team. As a fan, I'd rather pay to see local kids go 5-5 than to watch a talent-loaded bunch of menaces to society go 7-3. Until the administration hires football coaches that emphasize class, education, moral values, and grades over winning I will not support them. And until they do I hope Georgetown kicks their ass every year.

As far as Belfry kids quitting. Yeah, I wish they would stick it out because they verbally committed to going to school there. But they come from one of the classiest high school programs in the state, and I probably wouldn't want to be around all that trash either after seeing how a program should be ran.

Oh yeah, show me the graduation record for all Pikeville College football players. I'd be willing to bet that under 10% graduated and probably most of those received degrees from other schools.
I know 7 out of the 7 graduated from the first class. If they just recruited our area they wouldn't even come close to winning a game. Our area (pike county, floyd,johnson) produces 5 or 6 kids a year that can actually play college football. It is people like you that give Pikeville a bad name. I guess you get all these stories from the Belfry kids that quit. I have never heard of any of this and trust me I have been around the program longer than you.
HazzBeen Wrote:I know 7 out of the 7 graduated from the first class. If they just recruited our area they wouldn't even come close to winning a game. Our area (pike county, floyd,johnson) produces 5 or 6 kids a year that can actually play college football. It is people like you that give Pikeville a bad name. I guess you get all these stories from the Belfry kids that quit. I have never heard of any of this and trust me I have been around the program longer than you.

No, I just don't turn a def ear to the stuff I really don't want to hear.

I never said Pikeville College should just recruit Pike, Floyd, Johnson, Letcher, and Martin Counties. They would be stupid to do so. But if they recruited in a 100-150 mile radius (i.e. Georgetown) you would cover a lot more ground geographically than you think. All of EKY, Lexington, Ashland, Huntington, WV, Charleston, WV, Southern WV, Northeast KY, etc.

There are plenty enough athletes in these areas that would allow Pikeville to put a strong team on the field. But these areas are not recruited because of the coaches having ties to kids who didn't make it at bigger schools because of grades, discipline problems, or even legal problems.

To be honest, you are about the only person I have ever heard imply that the Pikeville program is even the least bit right. And what I mean be right is obviously far from what you think is right. If you are satisfied with finishing 7-3 (whoopee) with this group of young men, and are satisfied with the lives they lead & how they conduct themselves off the field then maybe you ought to take a look in the mirror. You might be part of the problem.
HazzBeen Wrote:I know 7 out of the 7 graduated from the first class. If they just recruited our area they wouldn't even come close to winning a game. Our area (pike county, floyd,johnson) produces 5 or 6 kids a year that can actually play college football. It is people like you that give Pikeville a bad name. I guess you get all these stories from the Belfry kids that quit. I have never heard of any of this and trust me I have been around the program longer than you.

Belfry kids have quit there.........

Reason - I know 2 that could have went to D1 schools, redshirted(like Pikeville wanted them to) and probably played their Jr/Sr year.

But they listened to the bullshit by the former coach and his band of merry jackasses and went to Pikeville, where they have sex-offenders and guys with rap-sheets a mile long and had to put up with guys fighting each other in practice, coaches cussing each other, players getting high before and after games and practice on buses.

And if you think that those guys "earn" their grades, then I got a money tree to sell you in my back yard.
The ones that cause the problems eventually our asked to leave, just like any other program including Georgetown. Every college program recruits a few bad apples, but does that mean the whole team is a disgrace. I will admit that there are some problems up there, but these happen at every school. Kentucky, Louisville, Georgetown, and even Pikeville. You just don't know kids at the other schools to tell you about it. Trust me coaches get cussed at on every level including the pros. Football is an intense game and it happens. No it doesn't happen in high school as much because kids aren't as serious. Pikeville by the way doesn't have to much to offer in recruiting like Georgetown, like their location. It is not that they don't recruit surrounding areas, sometimes the kids just don't come. Yes, they do get a lot of kids who are looking for a second chance. Is there something wrong with that?
HazzBeen Wrote:You know a lot of people have got on the PC football coaches for not recruiting the area, but the truth is they have. However, when the kids come into camp they usually quit, therefore there are not a lot of Pike County kids on the roster. I can think of a bunch from Belfry, Phelps, Shelby Valley, and Pikeville that have done this including some very good ones. I believe they are overwhelmed by the speed of college football and how good the NAIA really is. What are your thoughts?
I think they have as much a problem with juggling the academics and the athletics, they also probably do not like getting hit by kids that are as good as they are, but that is the case for most kids that try to to play, not just Pike County kids.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

HazzBeen Wrote:The ones that cause the problems eventually our asked to leave, just like any other program including Georgetown. Every college program recruits a few bad apples, but does that mean the whole team is a disgrace. I will admit that there are some problems up there, but these happen at every school. Kentucky, Louisville, Georgetown, and even Pikeville. You just don't know kids at the other schools to tell you about it. Trust me coaches get cussed at on every level including the pros. Football is an intense game and it happens. No it doesn't happen in high school as much because kids aren't as serious. Pikeville by the way doesn't have to much to offer in recruiting like Georgetown, like their location. It is not that they don't recruit surrounding areas, sometimes the kids just don't come. Yes, they do get a lot of kids who are looking for a second chance. Is there something wrong with that?

Because it cuts out kids who didn't deserve to lose their one and only chance.

I have no problem with people getting a 2nd chance in life, but the problem lies within getting a free education as your 2nd chance.
But like I said these kids who are given their one and only chance usually quit and go to work. Then eventually they are looking for a second chance just like the others.
Truth is Pikeville did good last year, but if they treated the recruits right and showed them some respect..Pikeville would have had a hell of a team..IMO
HazzBeen Wrote:But like I said these kids who are given their one and only chance usually quit and go to work. Then eventually they are looking for a second chance just like the others.

So a 2nd chance is a 2nd chance anyway you cut it, right?

What you are saying is that receiving a 2nd chance because you are a child molester, repeat AI/DUI offender, or a thief is the same as receiving a 2nd chance because you quit a team that is filled with child molesters, repeat AI/DUI offenders, and thieves but now realize that is/was your best chance at a free education?

There is a big difference there, IMO.

Your post starts innocently enough with a fair question then the ugly truth surfaces........You only wanna bash the Pike/Floyd/Johnson Co. boys....I hope PC does well but man find another place to releive your stress than coming on here and bashing these kids..The college game is quicker and yes it maybe overwhelming to some and some may leave but there is 2 sides to every story and I doubt you have the 100% facts about anything..
Ive been around the guys at Pikeville and been around the coaches and the stuff that went on and I dont blame anybody for quitting that team. You cant even go to school there its so bad with some of the thugs they got there. Second chance and giving a crack head a free ride is 2 different things.
Pikeville practicaly gives away tickets and still cant get nobody to come to their games and yet they wonder why. When they get rid of 50 cent and 2 Pac and put some local talent on the floor then the stadiums will be full and they will do better than you think.
I'm reading this and I'm wondering if anyone replying has ever played college ball? This crap went on in the 70's when I played, and has continued to occur through-out the 80's,90's, 00's, and will continue to happen for as long as young adults are recruited.BIG DEAL! Who cares what 2-cents,or 5-pact are doing...if it bothers them bad enough, STAY and do something about it, be a LEADER and lead by example,don't let the actions of a few ruin your chance to shine! The cream will always rise to the top and if your good enough, you'll get your chance to earn a position.There's no better way to rid a team of a bad apple than to absolutely unload on him in practice... over and over until he gets the message! Don't use it as an excuse to quit....if you do then they win and you lose. Plus, you've done nothing but hurt yourself and your team.I know it's hard to be a highschool standout, only to get to college and have to startout on the bottom of the food chain,but if we are ever going to change the recruiting practices of the coaching staff,then we have to stay and pay our dues,not quit just because we can blame someone else for our own shortcoming. East KY players, take back your team from the so called thugs, work harder than them, show them that this is an eastern ky college and for them to find playing time, means that the 4-5 hours a day that your going to spend on your game or your weightlifting, will in fact win out over their 2-3 hours a day smoking dope or driving drunk.....COME ON GUYS... make a change where it counts.....ON THE PRACTICE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flame: :flame:
War Chief Wrote:I'm reading this and I'm wondering if anyone replying has ever played college ball? This crap went on in the 70's when I played, and has continued to occur through-out the 80's,90's, 00's, and will continue to happen for as long as young adults are recruited.BIG DEAL! Who cares what 2-cents,or 5-pact are doing...if it bothers them bad enough, STAY and do something about it, be a LEADER and lead by example,don't let the actions of a few ruin your chance to shine! The cream will always rise to the top and if your good enough, you'll get your chance to earn a position.There's no better way to rid a team of a bad apple than to absolutely unload on him in practice... over and over until he gets the message! Don't use it as an excuse to quit....if you do then they win and you lose. Plus, you've done nothing but hurt yourself and your team.I know it's hard to be a highschool standout, only to get to college and have to startout on the bottom of the food chain,but if we are ever going to change the recruiting practices of the coaching staff,then we have to stay and pay our dues,not quit just because we can blame someone else for our own shortcoming. East KY players, take back your team from the so called thugs, work harder than them, show them that this is an eastern ky college and for them to find playing time, means that the 4-5 hours a day that your going to spend on your game or your weightlifting, will in fact win out over their 2-3 hours a day smoking dope or driving drunk.....COME ON GUYS... make a change where it counts.....ON THE PRACTICE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flame: :flame:

Nice Post!
War Chief Wrote:I'm reading this and I'm wondering if anyone replying has ever played college ball? This crap went on in the 70's when I played, and has continued to occur through-out the 80's,90's, 00's, and will continue to happen for as long as young adults are recruited.BIG DEAL! Who cares what 2-cents,or 5-pact are doing...if it bothers them bad enough, STAY and do something about it, be a LEADER and lead by example,don't let the actions of a few ruin your chance to shine! The cream will always rise to the top and if your good enough, you'll get your chance to earn a position.There's no better way to rid a team of a bad apple than to absolutely unload on him in practice... over and over until he gets the message! Don't use it as an excuse to quit....if you do then they win and you lose. Plus, you've done nothing but hurt yourself and your team.I know it's hard to be a highschool standout, only to get to college and have to startout on the bottom of the food chain,but if we are ever going to change the recruiting practices of the coaching staff,then we have to stay and pay our dues,not quit just because we can blame someone else for our own shortcoming. East KY players, take back your team from the so called thugs, work harder than them, show them that this is an eastern ky college and for them to find playing time, means that the 4-5 hours a day that your going to spend on your game or your weightlifting, will in fact win out over their 2-3 hours a day smoking dope or driving drunk.....COME ON GUYS... make a change where it counts.....ON THE PRACTICE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flame: :flame:

VERY NICE POST :thumpsup:
You bring up a good point. Most of these boys around here are treated like royalty by their respective schools from little league up if theyre great athletes. When these boys get to college and theyre at the bottom of the barrel,some just dont know how to handle that, better yet some cant handle that. But there have been players from this area that have went on to do good things in college (I hear David Jones will start CB for UK).
Mr. Right Wrote:From smoking pot on the bus trip to Pikeville high school's field.

JD If U Please Wrote:players getting high before and after games and practice on buses.

I will agree with alot that is being said in this thread, BUT crap like this is NOT true whatsoever. IDK who told you guys this but it is ridiculous and is bullshit, TRUST ME. Alot of the things being said is true but NOT ONE time has ANY of the players on our team smoked pot on the bus before and after practice or games.
I agree 100% with the majority of posts on this thread about the nature and lifestyles of Pikeville recruits. I am glad that somebody isn't afraid to tell it. No matter what goes on in the past DOES NOT mean it is the norm and has to continue in the future. It's never to late to change a football program for the better.
The thing that maid me sick was them begging for people to come watch the games. Why, noone wants to come watch a bunch of thugs who most respectable schools wouldnt take play ball. Theyd much rather see the kids from the areas be givin a chance. I interviewed Coach at media day and he was giving all this big talk about the players from the area and how they were going to play so much. He talked like Doug was going to be in every play pretty much and fed the media that garbage. Which I knew better already because Doug had done told me he wasnt even second string. Im glad a change was made in the coaching staff. I really feel that Pikeville could compete and do it without druggies and sex offenders. It dont have to be all EKY players but they should be a few of our talented ones out there.
Colleges just aren't showing much interest in them.
Belfry Wins Wrote:The thing that maid me sick was them begging for people to come watch the games. Why, noone wants to come watch a bunch of thugs who most respectable schools wouldnt take play ball. Theyd much rather see the kids from the areas be givin a chance. I interviewed Coach at media day and he was giving all this big talk about the players from the area and how they were going to play so much. He talked like Doug was going to be in every play pretty much and fed the media that garbage. Which I knew better already because Doug had done told me he wasnt even second string. Im glad a change was made in the coaching staff. I really feel that Pikeville could compete and do it without druggies and sex offenders. It dont have to be all EKY players but they should be a few of our talented ones out there.

Agreed! :thumpsup:
The new coaching staff especially head man Mack Brian is gonna make a HUGE difference. He nor any of the other coaches are gonna put up with any crap. That was made clear to us (the whole team) the first team meeting. And believe be he wasn't lying, one of our "thugs" started running his mouth on our QB's the FIRST day of practice and coach lit into him bad, shut him up quick, didn't hear another word from him the rest of spring ball. I'll tell you something else that alot of you don't know, the first thing coach Brian and his staff did when they got here was started researching on local players. I know for a FACT there were 6 Seniors from Paintsville who came up and visited, not only that the coaches spent ALL last week visiting ALL the local high schools to meet with coaches and players to try and get them up here to play. If you don't wanna come watch this year cause of the "thugs" that will still be playing I can understand, but give it a year and the local talent will start rolling in at PC. Brian is the same as Wells (new basketball coach) is with basketball, when it comes to area players, he is gonna bring em in and he is gonna turn them into good college ball players.