Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 2006-2007
What is everyone's opinion on the team after winning the region this year, but in the process losing Rice, Whittaker, Music, and Fannin?
Huge losses, but I believe a couple more years in Starns's system, the program wil be in great shape. 15th will be a toss up again next year. Tigers, Wildcats, and probably the Pirates will be top though.
The people around this program feel like Coach Starn's inherited a pretty good group capable of winning...they want to see him maintain a solid program which some people think he will struggle doing.
I believe that Starns has some job security for now...but who knows???
They may have a slow start at the beginning of the season, but as the younger players develop and gain experience during the season they should be ready come district time.
JC will be a top 5 team or better before it is said and done next year!!
Repeat in 2007
I heard the JC program is in a bit of turmoil this summer. Quite a few players not playing. Anyone know what's going on???? Who quit???
JC should be good in a year or two, but they won't have the weapons next year to be a favorite. But any team can get lucky, so I wouldn't say they won't make the region.
If the rumors are true and Jaryd Crum is hanging up the red and blue for black and gold, I think JCHS will have the opportunity once again to go to state!!
Captain America_2007 Wrote:Repeat in 2007

I'm sorry, but I don't think they have the talent to replace what they lost, regroup and then win a region. That said, I think Starns has LOTS of potential. I think he's doing all the right things and building the program. I just don't agree with '07 being a repeat year.

I look for Valley - Paintsville showdown in the region finals of '07. And surely to God by '07 Paintsville will be ready PLAY to WIN. I think you will see a drastic change now that BMR is not HC for football and can devote all summer to bball (although his Fball career was not too shabby :rockon: ). Not that his staff wasn't effective at filling in for him in the summer, but no one can scare the hell out of someone like him. I think that if he could have been there more, he could have seen some of the issues developing and stopped it.

I do forsee Belfry being a contender, but I think Pikeville may surprise a lot of people too.
i think they will struggle a little bit because rice and whittaker were a big part of the team. the guys will have to work hard , but i think they'l do ok in the season.
Repeat in 2007.
Looked great at times this summer without Jarred Crum agianst state tourament teams.
Whittaker will be replaced by "Spud" easily.
They will look more for McCarty to produce now that Rice is gone. He will be the key to their success, no doubt. I believe he will have a big year also.
The_LeGenD Wrote:Repeat in 2007.
Looked great at times this summer without Jarred Crum agianst state tourament teams.
They will look more for McCarty to produce now that Rice is gone. He will be the key to their success, no doubt. I believe he will have a big year also.
I completely agree 100%. They also have good, young guards and post players that will come in to their own after the season starts.
The_LeGenD Wrote:Repeat in 2007.

I dont think Whittaker can be replaced easily by anyone... not even Jarred. I do think Jared will help as far as the ball handling goes, and he does have a pretty good shot most games, But Whittaker will be missed though.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Spud will be a huge asset to JC. Not only is he virtually unstoppable at this level he is a great kid who would fit in anywhere because of his personality. Spud will be a positive influence on all of JC's players. McCarty is by far the most talented kid in the region and with another offensive weapon teams will not bve able to key only on him. Spud's weaknesses on D will be addressed by Starns and JC should be considered in the top 3 by everyone along w/ Shelby Valley and Paintsville. If anyone besides those 3 win the region it will be a big surprise to me.
Bob Knight Wrote:Spud will be a huge asset to JC. Not only is he virtually unstoppable at this level he is a great kid who would fit in anywhere because of his personality. Spud will be a positive influence on all of JC's players. McCarty is by far the most talented kid in the region and with another offensive weapon teams will not bve able to key only on him. Spud's weaknesses on D will be addressed by Starns and JC should be considered in the top 3 by everyone along w/ Shelby Valley and Paintsville. If anyone besides those 3 win the region it will be a big surprise to me.
I think he will be a nice asset to Johnson Central but lets tell it like it is.Spud was very stoppable in the district tournament. If I remember correctly Brandon May had to come to the backcourt to bring the ball into the halfcourt and set the offense up because Spud was not tall enough to pass the ball over the press and the trap. Johnson Central with their 5'10" guards basicly shut Spud down, simply because of his size. This is why Johnson Central was able to come back after being down by the huge margin. Spud in this instance proved to be Sheldon Clark's weakness.
JC will be very tough to handle this year, IMO they have the best player in the region in Jamie McCarty, one of the best point guards in Jaryd Crum, and the best defensive player in Jesse Meek...................
mcarty is a great player who will step up big for jc, i look for them to contend as they do every year for the 15th region title
The Eagles will be going back to Rupp this year.I'm excited about Crum,Mccarty,and Meeks being on the court at the same time.You guys can go ahead and pick the Tigers,Wildcats or who ever you want to, but the smart money would be on the EAGLES!!! :Thumbs: EAGLES WIN 15TH REGION TITLE !!!!!
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I dont think Whittaker can be replaced easily by anyone... not even Jarred. I do think Jared will help as far as the ball handling goes, and he does have a pretty good shot most games, But Whittaker will be missed though.

After seeing Crum last year in action against JC i think that he will be a better point guard than Whitaker was last year. Plain and simple Whitaker was slow with the ball and couldnt push tempo and Crum can. I have also seen Crum break the press and if Whitaker could have done that last year in the State Tournament the outcome could have been different.
Repeat!!!!!
I wouldnt get to out of hand white mike, although i do loke there chances with what i think is the best backcourt in the region.....Crum,Mccarty,Meek.
Paintsville having the best team.
the reason i think repeat is paintsville seems to always come in the tourney ranked first but just can't take care of buisness
Should win the region again....Starnes was left with a ton of talent...He will leave when the talent runs out!!! He should call Trimble and thank him!!!!
Johnson Central will be right in the thick of things once again. They have possibly the best player in the region (McCarty), one of the top 2 athletes IMO (Meeks; the other being Pugh), and the addition of Crum gives them another player capable of having some big games. Now not all the news for the golden eagles is good tho. They did lose one of the regions top big men in Rice and he will not be esy to replace. They have a couple of capable pivot players that will contribute nicely, but nobody at the level Rice was. They also play in the toughest district in the region. The other school in Johnson county also is loaded with talent and will be a formidable opponet for any team. As long as JC steers clear of the injury bug and everyone can keep egos off of the court I don't see any reason why JC shouldn't be in the mix of things come March. Of course this is August and alot can happen between then.
i dont see no one stopping the eagles this year
i beleive we will have to work harder to overcome the losses, but we'll do alright. I think mcCarty and Meek will be a big part of the team this year.
Johnson Central pretty much has a team that can never be taken lightly. Their talent level may rise and fall over the years, but they will always be a good team. I see them being a top team in the region this year along with maybe 5 or 6 teams that could actually win the region. This is going to be a interesting year IMO because I think the region will be very balanced this season. It will be the team that plays together the best and peaks at the right time.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
cbls_75 Wrote:What is everyone's opinion on the team after winning the region this year, but in the process losing Rice, Whittaker, Music, and Fannin?

IMO JC didnt wint the region last year they just hung around long enough for Paintsville to get beat out in an upset.

But in any case, JC will be hard up to do well this season. Losing the senors will definetly take away some of the ability to score.