Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
50.00%
Ashland
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Ashland 10/25 (Freshmen Kiwanis Bowl)
Thoughts and predictions:popcorn:
Is kickoff 7 or 7:30 on the 25th?
It's 7 I found it on the Russell sports site.
Ashland comes in with a record of 3-4 not counting the Cabell Midland game today.
Russell is undefeated.
Russell been strong all year, understand Ashlands been getting better each week. Should be a good game, edge to Russell
Russell has a good team. Has a good running back but the qb is everything for them he is the play maker. If you stop him from you have a chance.
Russell will stay undefeated
Should be a good game. 2 losses came at the hands of a very good Cabell-Midland team. Other 2 were winnable games just fell short. They were in both cabell-midland games til 4 quarter couple passes killed'em. These boys have really come together as a team an found an identity other than just Quinton Baker that's what this team struggled with last year an seem to have figured out they can play football without Q. Even through some tough losses I can see that this team will be a force on Friday nites in the near future along with Mr Baker to complete this team. Whatever the outcome Thursday it a shame Q isn't allowed to play in his Kiwanis bowl but is understandable due to playing on Friday nites, this game is a moment all these kids look back to when there seniors an reflect on.

On the other hand I do recall a great back from Russell named Gross (I think u know him) did play in his Kiwanis bowl an had plenty of time on Friday nights. Just sayin... I'm sure one of you Russell boys will give the rest of that story.
Gross didn't start varsity as a freshmen.
CoachfromtheStands Wrote:Russell has a good team. Has a good running back but the qb is everything for them he is the play maker. If you stop him from you have a chance.

I think you may see the QB and the RB starting varsity next year. The RB is just an 8th grader.
FBALL Wrote:Gross didn't start varsity as a freshmen.

Didn't say he started he sure played a lot an definitely was a contributor as the season went on. By that time in the season he was a regular in the rotation. From what I recall. Because I remember a lot of controversy over him playing he ran all over us. Which is what Q would do as well but we'll never know. I just know he's really bummed about it an sucks to be excluded. Maybe with a sore foot somebody could've caught him? Lol
FBALL Wrote:I think you may see the QB and the RB starting varsity next year. The RB is just an 8th grader.

Thought this was the Kiwanis bowl between 9 graders I understand there's 8th graders an couple sophomores?
CoachfromtheStands Wrote:Russell has a good team. Has a good running back but the qb is everything for them he is the play maker. If you stop him from you have a chance.

BADCAT74 Wrote:Didn't say he started he sure played a lot an definitely was a contributor as the season went on. By that time in the season he was a regular in the rotation. From what I recall. Because I remember a lot of controversy over him playing he ran all over us. Which is what Q would do as well but we'll never know. I just know he's really bummed about it an sucks to be excluded. Maybe with a sore foot somebody could've caught him? Lol

Only controversy was from you Tomkittens. Let him play. But if he is your starting RB and already banged up I wouldn't play him.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Thought this was the Kiwanis bowl between 9 graders I understand there's 8th graders an couple sophomores?

There are two 8th graders. No sophomores. Looking for excuses already BadCat?

The 8th graders chose to play up on the freshmen team. That's a choice they are given.
FBALL Wrote:Only controversy was from you Tomkittens. Let him play. But if he is your starting RB and already banged up I wouldn't play him.

Of course it'd be samething if Q played, from down there. I don't personally think he should play we've got more on the line for playoffs, but I hate it for him because that's something he wanted not me. This wasn't how this season was supposed to play out losing Cody Watts before season even started was a big hole in the offense that Q filled nicely Coach Hart told him back then that that would knock him out of playing in Kiwanis. But he has talked about it all year. But he also sees the bigger picture an wants to do whatever he needs to to help the Tomcats secure a couple home playoff games.
I agree. You can't risk your varsity starter going into the playoffs.
FBALL Wrote:There are two 8th graders. No sophomores. Looking for excuses already BadCat?

The 8th graders chose to play up on the freshmen team. That's a choice they are given.

No, no excuses here. Just what I had heard an apparently the 8th grade part was right they don't give that option at Ashland. If they did there's a couple of nice ones. I just always thought this was set up as a freshman only event? Either way gonna be a fun game like always.
Russell has always allowed some 8th graders to play up.
I can remember two 8th graders starting in the backfield for the blazer freshmen team when I played in the Kiwanis bowl.
FBALL Wrote:I can remember two 8th graders starting in the backfield for the blazer freshmen team when I played in the Kiwanis bowl.

Who was that? Ryan Blake? That was about your time. Never heard of it my self. But if that's par I know 3 I'd like to see playing this Thursday. But they wont allow it.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Who was that? Ryan Blake? That was about your time. Never heard of it my self. But if that's par I know 3 I'd like to see playing this Thursday. But they wont allow it.

Yeah. Ryan and Mike Johnson.
[quote=FBALL]Yeah. Ryan and Mike Johnson.[/QUOT
FBALL Wrote:Yeah. Ryan and Mike Johnson.

I didnt remember that. I can't believe they allowed it. With quality players like that it can change the complexion of the game. Guys like that are game changers.
BADCAT74 Wrote:I didnt remember that. I can't believe they allowed it. With quality players like that it can change the complexion of the game. Guys like that are game changers.

Ah. We won anyway. :devilflam

At that point Russell had never lost the Kiwanis Bowl. Damn we are old.
FBALL Wrote:I think you may see the QB and the RB starting varsity next year. The RB is just an 8th grader.
Fball that's ignorant to say a freshman and a sophmore will start QB and rb. Mckee will start in the secondary but not QB. Next years starting QB will be either may or mullins. As for conley starting rb there is no chance. He Kay get get some carries but most of load will be given to korzep/Mcknight/May. Conley will start his sophmore year and will probably be the best back we've had since kasey in 2006.
Ignorant or not it may happen. Let the best player play no matter what class. Didnt mean to hurt anybody's feelings.
Do you honestly think conley is better than Korzep/Mcknight/May?Mckee could challenge for the QB spot but really it all depends on who works harder in the off season between mckee/may/mullins. Mullins probably would be the starter but I saw him on the sidlines with a cast so you never know how he will recover from that. Also you can't say a player is better from watching them play freshman ball and the sophs/juniors play against varsity guys. Everyone knows the game is 10 faster at the varsity level. Mckee will for sure start next year in the secondary though. Along with korzep/Mcknight and May taking over for googie next year.
Russell has looked better and better with each game. Every freshman class has had a few stud play makers on the team but this years class really has no weakness. Line is big,strong and actually fairly quick. Smith and Redden own the line at times. Linebackers are strong with one even being a gold medalist MMA fighter. lol Everyone else is just fast and loves to hit. I know these kids are taking this game very seriously. It's any ones ballgame and if we lose it would be nothing to be ashamed of. I have friends who have kids on the Ashland freshman team and I know it will be a hard fought game. I do see McKee possibly starting defense next year or getting alot of playing time. Is the Conley boy good enough to start Varsity? You betcha! He has every tool to start. He is fast and would chew his foot off than rather to come down from a tackle. He would probrably be the fastest kid Russell would have but he is young and makes young mistakes at times so I would just give him another year on Freshman team IMO.
Russellfan606 Wrote:Do you honestly think conley is better than Korzep/Mcknight/May?Mckee could challenge for the QB spot but really it all depends on who works harder in the off season between mckee/may/mullins. Mullins probably would be the starter but I saw him on the sidlines with a cast so you never know how he will recover from that. Also you can't say a player is better from watching them play freshman ball and the sophs/juniors play against varsity guys. Everyone knows the game is 10 faster at the varsity level. Mckee will for sure start next year in the secondary though. Along with korzep/Mcknight and May taking over for googie next year.

Short answer. Yes.