Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competition in Eastern Kentucky and state wide in 1A DOWN
Is it just me or has the Ashland/Russell/Raceland area gotten a little diluted? Seems like many of the big "rivalry" games have become lopsided over the last few years. The series between Ashland and Raceland got interesting from 2006-2009. But has since return to Ashland winning by a large margin the last few years. Same can be said for Ashland/Russell, Russell/Greenup. Since the renewal of the Rail City Bowl, Raceland has owned the series. But atleast the games have been interesting and competitive. But looking across the board, with Raceland and Fairview scoring nearly 50 pts/game, I think it's time that they start playing bigger and better programs, atleast if they want to A. Better themselves or B. "Get the respect they deserve". Raceland has made big improvements in the last few years, in now having all of their non-district games being schools much larger than itself, and including two OH teams in the last 3 years, next year having the biggest influence in adding Ironton(OH) to the mix. But that doesn't always add up to more competition. Teams like East Carter, West Carter, Greenup County, Flemming County, Lewis County, and this is ment with absolutely no disrespect because in the past these schools have produced some steller football teams, but the fact is, in the last few years, they have fallen WAY down. I think this is the reason that the 1A schools from our region struggle in the quarter/semifinal rounds of the playoffs, they are not prepared for the competition that even the smaller northern kentucky powers present, and they are playing some of the top tier teams in the STATE, not just their class(ie Beechwood, Frankfurt...etc...). I think it's time that we start seeing some Danville, Somerset, Lexington Christian, NewCath, Beechwood, KCD, Frankfurt on these schedules. I understand travel expenses come into play, but if our area teams would schedule some more of these schedules again. Or at the very least, see some of these top 10 teams playing a few other top 10 teams before the playoffs. And don't get me started on the 1A alignment and playoff system. Whats the point in having a playoff bracket if every team makes it anyway?...Thoughts?
Eastern Kentucky Football East of I 75 is down Belfry not that great Bell not that great Harlan,Cent down Breathitt not played a great schedule Hazard not as good as last year but will probably be back in the state finals, Breathitt is overated. Somerset not that good a little overated, Whitley not that good its judt down this year the mountains are and you have them years.
Well the Eastern Kentucky football West of 75 ain't gonna be strong either lol!!! 6 or 7 games into the season does not determine anything. The Eastern Ky. big boys will all have a say in who gets to Bowling Green before it's all over.
I "heard" all the talk about Beechwood and Hazard being down. But didn't really "listen" too much. Idk how long its been since the original..."THE WOOD"(as Fairview now likes to refer to themselves as)...wasn't in the Top 10 from the start of the season to finish. Which comes back down to competition. Year in and year out, they play one of, if not THE toughest schedule in single A. Hazard, Frankfort, Raceland all beefed up their schedules in recent years, which i think is going to begin to show vast improvement in all of the programs. Frankfort has alwasy been a bubble team. Much like Raceland and Fairview. But looks like this year, they may burst!
This is how EKY teams play football. Confusednicker: