Lexington Catholic 2012/13
Nickname: Knights
Head Coach: Brandon Salsman
2011/12: 24-8
Post Season: District Champs, Lost 1st Round of Region
Players lost to graduation: 5

2012/13 Varsity Schedule
Nov 29, 12 Cordia (home) 7:30 PM
Nov 30 - Dec 2 TOURANMENT (LOCATION TBD)
Dec 4, 12 DeSales (home) 7:30 PM
Dec 7, 12 Lafayette (away) 8 PM
Dec 12, 12 Woodford County (away) 7:30 PM
Dec 14, 12 Lexington Christian (away) 7:30 PM
Dec 19-22 KRUEL CLASSIC (at Miami/Coral Springs, FL)
Dec 26-30 REPUBLIC BANK HOLIDAY CLASSIC (home)
Jan 5, 13 DUNKIN DONUTS CLASSIC (home)
Jan 8, 13 Lexington Christian (home) 7:30 PM
Jan 11, 13 Tates Creek (home) 7:30 PM
Jan 12, 13 McCreary Central (home) 3:30 PM
Jan 15, 13 Lafayette (home) 7:30 PM
Jan 17, 13 Paul Laurence Dunbar (home) 7:30 PM
Jan 19, 13 Western Hills (away) 7:30 PM
Jan 25, 13 Tates Creek (away) 7:30 PM
Jan 26, 13 Butler / Pendleton County (at TBD)
Jan 29, 13 Paul Laurence Dunbar (away) 8 PM
Feb 1, 13 Clay County (away) 7:30 PM
Feb 5, 13 Madison Central (away) 7:30 PM
Feb 9, 13 Scott County (home) 7:30 PM
Feb 12, 13 Lincoln County (away) 7:30 PM
Feb 15, 13 Wayne County (home) 7:30 PM

KHSAA has Lex Cath playing Butler on Jan 26 while Lexington Catholic High School website has Lex Cath playing Pendleton County at Pendleton County on Jan 26
Yes everyone you read the first game of the season right. Little ole Cordia is traveling to Lexington to take on the Knights
Catholic will be tough this year. Jack Whitman is one of my favorite players in Central Kentucky to watch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Catholic will be tough again as always, but I think that district is Lafayette to loose and that 11th region with be between Lex Catholic, Lafayette, and Henry Clay. What do you all think?
Scott,Co,HenryClay or Madison,Cent.
ballboy Wrote:Scott,Co,HenryClay or Madison,Cent.

I agree as well. Good point.
Catholic is always good. They're not like Highlands in football, but I think they will win their district.
It will be tough for them to replace the 3 senior starters (Floyd, Woomer, and Keller) from last year. They will be weaker at outside scoring, point guard, and athleticism compared to last year. Defenses will be able to concentrate on Whitman more than last year.
Madison Central and Henry Clay will be loaded
dumc79 Wrote:It will be tough for them to replace the 3 senior starters (Floyd, Woomer, and Keller) from last year. They will be weaker at outside scoring, point guard, and athleticism compared to last year. Defenses will be able to concentrate on Whitman more than last year.

Your remarks are certainly reasonable, but things are not that glum. Big Tom Banahan should start at the 5 this year, moving Whitman to the 4 where he can use even more of his skills, which include some of the outside shooting. Banahan was usually the most efficient and impactful player per-minute in his reserve roll last year, and is a big strong senior who’s really conditioned himself well for this year and has plenty of experience. Avare was the key outside shooter, and he’s back.

So LexCath really has 2 holes to fill, not 3 - point guard and wing. There are multiple candidates vying for the pt at both positions, all homegrown talent with several years in the system and good basketball credentials. They’ll probably start the year with an 8 or 9 man rotation with 2 juniors and 4 sophomores if I had to guess, and develop more as they go along. The first two point guard candidates were the guards on the middle school team everyone loved to hate, that went 100-1 in middle school. At least three candidates on the wing, with different skill sets, enabling them to give different looks – they can have everyone up front be 6-6 or more, or add another deadly 3-point shooter, or put in a great all-around athlete. All these kids have continued to excel at the freshman and jv levels and should be ready to step up, and all play 2 or even 3 positions, so depth is adequate. With 3 high-level tournaments in December and playing in the 11th region, they should be pretty well seasoned and in the mix by district tournament time.

The 43rd’s always a tough 5-team district – Lafayette, LexCath, Lexington Christian, Tates Creek, and Dunbar. Lafayette’s gotta have the biggest frontline in the state at 6-10, 6-8, and 6-8, if you believe their measurements, and everyone returns. Dunbar could be the sleeper this year that everyone’s overlooking. They added an experienced coach and two athletic senior transfers to a team that already has two of the state’s best scorers in Smith and Gary and several experienced and competent role-players. 3 or 4 of their seniors were together this spring and summer on the same travel team, which can’t hurt. Look for a wild district tournament
kidlexington Wrote:The first two point guard candidates were the guards on the middle school team everyone loved to hate, that went 100-1 in middle school.

Exactly where is Lexington Catholic Middle School located?
I didn't say things were glum. I know the players vying for those new starting spots and they are sophomores with no significant varsity experience. They may be good when they are seniors, but none can run the point like Woomer did and none are as athletic or as good of a shooter as Floyd. Defenses will put more pressure on Avare I suspect. I'm not saying they won't be a pretty good team, but it will be hard to match last year. I agree that Lafayette and Dunbar will be the teams to beat.
rojas Wrote:Exactly where is Lexington Catholic Middle School located?

Not biting, maybe you should try different bait:eyeroll:
Updated schedule

2012-2013 Varsity Schedule
Saturday Nov 10 East Ridge (Scrimmage) Away TBA
Saturday Nov 17 PRP Scrimmage vs Iroquois PRP 6:00/7:30
Thursday Nov 29 Cordia Home 6:00/7:30
Friday Nov 30 Montverde Academy FL Away 8:00
Saturday Dec 1 Saints Above the Rim Classic Away 6:00
Vs Leesburg Fl
Tuesday Dec 4 DeSales Home 4:30/6:00/7:30
Friday Dec 7 Lafayette Away 5:00/6:30/8:00
Wednesday Dec 12 Woodford County Away 6:00/7:30
Friday Dec 14 LCA Away 4:45/6:00/7:30
Dec 19-22 Kruel Classic Away TBA
Miami Florida
Dec 26-30 Republic Bank Holiday Classic Home TBA
Saturday Jan 5 Dunkin Donuts Shootout Home TBA
Vs Bullit East
Tuesday Jan 8 LCA Home 4:30/6:00/7:30
Friday Jan 11 Tates Creek Home 6:00/7:30
Saturday Jan 12 McCreary Central Home 2:00/3:30
Tuesday Jan 15 Lafayette Home 4:30/6:00/7:30
Thursday Jan 17 Dunbar Home 4:30/6:00/7:30
Saturday Jan 19 Western Hills Away 6:00/7:30
Friday Jan 25 Tates Creek Away 6:00/7:30
Saturday Jan 26 Louisville Hoopfest Iroquois TBA
Vs Louisville Butler H.S.
Tuesday Jan 29 Dunbar Away 8:00 BGDH
Friday Feb 1 Clay County Away 5:00/6:00/7:30
Tuesday Feb 5 Madison Central Away 6:00/7:30
Saturday Feb 9 Scott County Home 6:00/7:30
Tuesday Feb 12 Lincoln County Away 4:30/6:00/7:30
Friday Feb 15 Wayne County Home 6:00/7:30
Feb 18-22 District Tournament Away LCA TBA
Feb 27-Mar 5 Region Tournament EKU TBA
Mar 13-16 KHSAA State Tournament Rupp Arena TBA

which campus? lol
Great team, and could win about 80% of the regions in the state next year, but they play in the best region
I've heard good things on Jack Whitman. I've never seen him play. Does he stay in the post or does he float out to shoot jumpers a lot? Anyone you could compare him to?

He never said anything about Lexington Catholic Middle school. He just said that they were 100-1 in middle school.
knighted Wrote:He never said anything about Lexington Catholic Middle school. He just said that they were 100-1 in middle school.

Good one.
They lost some but saw them play alot this summer. They are gonna have a nice team. One weekend that I saw them they handled Lafayette pretty easy. Whitaker is a nice player and they had a really nice gritty auburn-haired kid that played the point, I think someone said he is a soph. They are fun to watch
They have several middle schools and they openly recruit all over town. My sons went there after being recruited from a public school . I am blowing the lid on this. Here is how it went down. The first recruiting contact was when I ran into a woman that I went to H.S with. I asked her about her kids and she told me they enjoyed Lexington Catholic. That of course is a serious violation. I guess the most blatant form of recruiting we were exposed to were the bumper stickers we saw on the cars around town that purposely would get in front of us several times when we drove around town. The full court press though was everytime I went down Claysmill Rd I saw a Lexington Catholic sign in front of the school that read "Champions made here" They put that up to draw athletes. Then I had to go by Mary Queen and look at that sign and the festival going on once a year. I am sick of Lexington Catholic and all those cheaters that say they dont recruit !
WOW, all three of those teams ahead of LexCath? Must be super loaded region.
Thanks for blowing the lid off this, it gives me courage to tell the truth about my son’s recruiting.
We were at a high school fair at The Lexington School and making the rounds of the Lexington publics, which all recruited to their magnet programs, and Sayre, which ignored us, then went to LexCath’s booth. The admissions lady cleverly asked my son what his favorite things in middle school were. He answered, “putting on plays, Spanish, and basketball.” She then sprang the trap. She told him about their theatre program and facilities, then about their Spanish curriculum and Spanish club. Finally, the devious part – she pointed her finger in his face and said, “If it’s really important to you to play basketball for your high school team, you’re probably better off at one of the public schools – it’s really hard to get on our team, and we have a lot of coaches’ kids in the program right now.” Devilishly clever bit of reverse psychology for sure, he’s now on their varsity. Cunning devils!
Yes there are some serious covert operators all over town for Lex Cath. We were not lucky enough to get a scholarship to play ball but I have ran into several people over the last few years that were offered full scholarships but didnt take them. To bad they didnt because I never read the name of one of those kids in the paper for any sport. I guess they just decided to side step the lime light of sports for academics.