Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Trinity 24 - Indianapolis Cathedral 16
INDIANAPOLIS —
Trinity showed an ESPN2 national audience the big-play offense that has vaulted it to the top of Kentucky high school football.

Dalyn Dawkins had a 40-yard touchdown run and James Quick added a 72-yard TD reception three minutes later as the Shamrocks beat Indianapolis Cathedral 24-16 Friday night in Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Colts.

"That's what they do," Cathedral coach Rick Streiff said. "They do that very well. We gave up too many big plays."

Trinity (5-0), No. 1 in The Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings, stretched its winning streak to 30 games. The Shamrocks did it against a Cathedral program that has won two straight Indiana Class 4-A titles and four of the past six.

"That's a good football team, and so are we," said Trinity coach Bob Beatty, whose team will face archrival St. Xavier next Friday at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. "It's a long day to come up here, and I'm proud of them. I knew it was going to be tough, and it doesn't get any easier next week. Welcome to Trinity. That's just the way it is."

Cathedral's Joseph Schopper nailed a 35-yard field goal with 7:07 left in the third quarter to tie the score at 10, but Trinity soon responded. Dawkins took a handoff up the middle, cut to his right and raced 40 yards to make it 17-10 with 2:35 left in the quarter.

The Fighting Irish (2-4) marched right back, pulling within 17-16 on Connor Rice's 6-yard TD pass to Sampson Levingston on the first play of the fourth quarter. The point-after kick failed.

Trinity took over on its 28 and needed just one play to respond. Travis Wright threw a pass to Quick on the left side, and the speedster was off the races. He raced down the left sideline untouched to make it 24-16 with 11:37 left and finished with eight catches for 162 yards.

"We called it at the right time ... and got it to the right kid," Beatty said.

Said Quick: "We saw that we could get into the alley with the alley screen, and that's what we did. I just got out there and followed all my blocks, and they took me to the end zone."

The Fighting Irish had four more possessions but couldn't muster much against a stout Trinity defense. Cathedral's final drive ended on a fourth-down interception by Trey Wright.

Travis Wright was 20 of 36 passes for 307 yards and two TDs with two interceptions. Dawkins had 79 yards on 22 carries.

The Irish had just 36 yards on 28 carries. Trinity tackle Jabari Jordan had a team-high seven tackles, 3½ for losses.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...2309210139
Trinity 7 3 7 7 - 24
Indpls Cathedral 7 0 3 6 - 16
IC - Luke Cureton 7 pass from Connor Rice (Joseph Schopper kick); T - Cody Swabek 9 pass from Travis Wright (Drew Ward kick); T - Ward 24 FG; IC - Schopper 35 FG; T - Dalyn Dawkins 40 run (Ward kick); IC - Sampson Levingston 6 pass from Rice (kick failed); T - James Quick 72 pass from Wright (Ward kick).

Trin Cath
Total yards 399 268
First downs 16 17
Rushes-yds. 31-92 28-36
Comp-Att-Int 20-36-2 17-38-1
Passing yards 307 232
Fumbles-lost 0-0 1-0
Penalties-yds. 9-86 1-17
Punts-avg. 5-35.6 8-27.4
Congrats Trinity! I really enjoyed watching them play!
I was also one of the many nationwide that watched this game.

Congratulations, Trinity and Thanks, ESPN!
I believe Joker Phillips need to make the short trip to LVille and offer the entire senior class a scholarship....Just take them all...Just from this one school we should improve our status in the SEC...
First time i've seen Quick play. Man is he fast. Congrats Trinity & thanks for the game ESPN.
Glad to see Kentucky High School Football got a chance to redeem itself on ESPN.:why:
someone told me friday at the ironton /portsmouth game that trinity was the number 1 ranked team in the country, if true, that's amazing.
Highest I have seen them is #3 this year. A little high I would probably have them in the top 15 at this point and definitely top 10 if they run the tables again this year. With X, Manual & Male ahead, they are entering the "easy" section of their schedule.