Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati St. Xavier 49 - Cincinnati Moeller 21
This takes the glamour off of that late season Trinity / Moeller match-up with undefeated and possibly #1 & #2 nationally ranked teams
A pair of last-minute losses the last two weeks left a bad taste in the collective mouth of the St. Xavier football team.

The Bombers got a good cleansing Friday night.

St. Xavier scored on five of its seven possessions in the first half, blowing out to a 35-7 lead en route to a 49-21 victory over previously undefeated Moeller.

• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Follow Mike Dyer on Twitter
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

Junior quarterback Nick Tensing threw for 248 yards and four touchdowns, including 208 yards and all four scores in the first half, as the Bombers (3-2) rolled through their Greater Catholic League South rivals in the league opener for both teams.

Senior wide receiver Kevin Milligan caught nine passes for 139 yards and two touchdowns, while junior running back C.J. Hilliard rushed for 131 yards, including a 61-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter, on 17 carries. Seniors Ryan Berning and Joe Barrett each had 13 tackles for the St. Xavier defense, while junior Nick Carovillano had three tackles for loss and a sack.

The Crusaders are ranked No. 1 in this week’s Enquirer Division I area coaches poll, No 2 in the AP state poll and No. 9 nationally by USA Today. They came into the game averaging 481.5 yards and 43.3 points through the first four games but trailed throughout and were limited to 345 yards of offense. Most of those came after the game was all but decided.

St. Xavier, ranked No. 3 locally, had lost by a total of four points to Colerain and Louisville Trinity. Both games were decided by scores in the final minute of play. Colerain is ranked No. 2 locally, No. 4 in the state and No. 13 nationally by USA Today, while Trinity is ranked 18th by USA Today.

“The thing I’m most proud of these group is that in two subsequent weeks they lost in the last seconds and a lot of kids would have folded up and started complaining,” said St. Xavier coach Steve Specht. “I told them to just come out and work hard and get better. This team has gotten progressively better.”

The Bombers struck quickly and often.. Tensing hit senior Kevin Milligan for an 80-yard touchdown on the first play of the game. Milligan got behind in between Moeller’s deep defenders on a play-action pass and outran everyone to the end zone with just 12 seconds gone off the clock.

“The first play, we planned and we knew it was going to come,” said Milligan. “We took advantage of their defense.”

Junior Ryan Frey made it 14-0 three plays later when he intercepted a pass by Moeller quarterback Spencer Iacovone and returned it 32 yards for a touchdown.

Frey later added a 13-yard touchdown catch from Tensing during the first half blitz.

The last two weeks were lessons for the Bombers.

“We learned from that and we learned to keep the momentum we had,” said Frey. “The last two weeks we got our hearts ripped out and we weren’t going to let it happen again.”

Moeller cut the deficit to 14-7 on a 2-yard run by senior Keith Watkins but the Crusaders managed just 146 yards in the first half. Watkins came into the game leading the entire GCL with 614 yards. He finished with 111 yards on 26 carries but the Moeller running attack never found any consistency against the St. Xavier defense.

“We’ll bounce back,” said Moeller coach John Rodenberg. “We’ll get our team together and bounce back. We’ll be ready for La Salle.”

MOELLER 7 0 7 7 --21
ST. XAVIER 14 21 0 14 --49

X – Tensing 80 pass to Milligan (Berry kick)
X – Frey 32 INT return (Berry kick)
M – Watkins 2 run (Reiniger kick)
X – Tensing 13 pass to Frey (Berry kick)
X – Tensing 7 pass to Arbino (Berry kick)
X – Tensing 5 pass to Milligan (Berry kick)
M – Iacovone 1 run (Reiniger kick)
X – Hilliard 61 run (Berry kick)
X – Merchant 6 run (Berry kick)
M – Ragland 18 run (Reiniger kick)

Records: Moeller (4-1, 0-1 GCLS); St. Xavier (3-2, 1-0)
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...ller-49-21
Stardust Wrote:This takes the glamour off of that late season Trinity / Moeller match-up with undefeated and possibly #1 & #2 nationally ranked teams

Yes, indeed it does knock it down a few notches. When those fine Catholic schools in and around Cincinnati play each other, anything can happen.
Friday nights in the GCL is like Saturday in the SEC
saw footage of the game, St. Xavier played like a bunch of men who ate raw meat, snorted cocaine, and did UFC all week. In the GCL, anything can happen, but i don't think Moeller was expecting X to be that physical
^ LMAO, snorted Cocaine?????
Moeller needs a new coach
Two loaded teams.
Stardust Wrote:^ LMAO, snorted Cocaine?????

absolutely lol, from this SNL skit

[YOUTUBE="Will Farrell: Worst Boss Ever"]DlnObIFBCY4[/YOUTUBE]
Big Moe takes down Trinity THIS YEAR! Been saying it all year. Have a dents in there armor.
Looks like this was a 35-7 game.

I agree it would have been nice to see Moeller playing Trinity undefeated, but Trinity has to be the big favorite now.

Another question for you Cincy guys (I know i ask a lot but it intrigues me) im somewhat familiar with Cincy, not good enough to go down back streets, but where are all of the GCL schools located around Cincy...
Elder: Price Hill, 4 miles west of downtown Cincy
Moeller: Montgomery, 12 miles north east of downtown Cincy
LaSalle: 9 miles northwest of downtown Cincy, not far from Colerain
St. Xavier: Finneytown, 11 miles north of downtown Cincy

St. Xavier and LaSalle are both on North Bend Rd., Moeller is the only GCL South school off I 71, each school gets student from all over greater Cincy
toussaints Wrote:Elder: Price Hill, 4 miles west of downtown Cincy

St. Xavier and LaSalle are both on North Bend Rd., Moeller is the only GCL South school off I 71, each school gets student from all over greater Cincy

And think, ole Louisville takes there 2 BIG Catholic schools and and gets all the gravy. Thanks khsaa!:moon:
toussaints Wrote:Elder: Price Hill, 4 miles west of downtown Cincy

Wow, i honestly thought they'd be a little more spaced out.
Obviously i dont know a lot about Cincy football, but there must be a ton of talent in that city for al of these programs to be as good as they are everyyear.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Wow, i honestly thought they'd be a little more spaced out.
Obviously i dont know a lot about Cincy football, but there must be a ton of talent in that city for al of these programs to be as good as they are everyyear.

There's a ton of good jobs in that city and area. It seems that the talent's parents follow the good jobs and take the talent with them.
Is this now Buckeyerivals.com???