Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if the state was split into 2 classes?
This is just for fun. We always here how there are too many classes, or how the playoff system isn't right, or how there should be a private and public school champion. This is not a thread to complain or create new ideas, this is just for fun, so:

What if the state was split into 2 classes: small school and big school

Small: 1A, 2A, 3A

Big: 4A, 5A, 6A

Each class would have a large number of powerhouses spread out across the state. Highlands, Trinity, St. Xavier, CovCath, Bowling Green and John Hardin would be in the same class. Beechwood, Hazard, Mayfield, NCC, Belfry, Central and Bell County would be in the same class.

For the playoffs, it could be split into 4 regions with the top 8 in each making the playoffs based off of a system that rewards wins and quality schedule like the Harbin system they use in Ohio, also rewarding teams for playing in state.

What do you think? This obviously won't happen since the KHSAA would lose a lot of money this way, but it could make KY football more competitive and exciting. What would be some of the positives, negatives from this?
Would trinity participate or would they just play X and go for the national championship? I don't think they'd play anyone else if they were forced to play all ky schools.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Would trinity participate or would they just play X and go for the national championship? I don't think they'd play anyone else if they were forced to play all ky schools.

not forced, but encouraged
toussaints Wrote:not forced, but encouraged

I would seriously doubt that the KHSAA could force Trinity to do much of anything. As they stand now, Trinity plays on a much higher level and for higher recognition than the rest of Kentucky's high schools- including my local favorites, FTH and CovCath.

One fact is for sure. At this time, Trinity has far more clout, credibility, and prestige than does the KHSAA. It isn't close.
I think 4 classes is ideal. Go back to four classes and the top two teams from each district in the playoffs.
There can be 20 classes in the KHSAA.... But until there is a public/private split, it won't matter.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:There can be 20 classes in the KHSAA.... But until there is a public/private split, it won't matter.

Publics will always require a crutch to even that playing field.
How about 3 public classes and 2 private classes.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:There can be 20 classes in the KHSAA.... But until there is a public/private split, it won't matter.

Give it a rest. What private school sans X and T dominate their class? My team is NewCath. We lose middle school and freshman to Highlands every year. Not all privates are out visiting kids in their living rooms. Quit crying about it and get your community to back your program and your kids to buy 100percent in.
yup can't wait for that Trinity vs Christian Academy-Louisville private school final
nky Wrote:yup can't wait for that Trinity vs Christian Academy-Louisville private school final

I think it would be good for the state to make two private and indepent class and three public
^Why? because the Public schools can't field good football teams? Why stick Independent School districts in with the Privates?
It would be a heck of a lot better than six classes.
It is already split into 2 classes:

Class 1: Trinity

Class 2: Rest of the state
nky Wrote:^Why? because the Public schools can't field good football teams? Why stick Independent School districts in with the Privates?

No I am just sayin maybe people would stop complaing about pivarte and independent
I like tne private school in the setting it give us here at owen something to work for .
Independent schools are public.
E's Army Wrote:Independent schools are public.

Yeah I don't know where people are getting the idea that independents have an advantage. Take us (Somerset) for example. Sure we have open enrollment for kids residing outside of Pulaski County, but the two county schools still draw from a much larger area and much larger student population. The only kids that really come to Somerset from out of the county only do so because their parents work in Somerset. Rarely if ever do kids utilize the open enrollment for sports. Some places may be different but for most of the independent schools in this end of the state (Somerset, Monticello, Barbourville) that is certainly not the case.

Really this again? Out of 222 schools in Kentucky 11 I could find are private.
11 Teams in one class. Great idea!
Say what you guys want to... But as long as private schools can openly recruit and get to compete against public schools that cannot recruit, then the playing field is not level.

And isn't that what sports are all about...... Fairly competeing against your opponent?
11 schools 10 games. It would be easy to schedule.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Say what you guys want to... But as long as private schools can openly recruit and get to compete against public schools that cannot recruit, then the playing field is not level.

And isn't that what sports are all about...... Fairly competeing against your opponent?

Private schools cannot openly recruit, they have to follow the same KHSAA guidelines as every other school.
7 of those 11 have won state championships since 2006. They have won 14 of 34 of the state championships during that time frame. There have been classes in which they have had no representation. Correct me but I believe there have been no 5A private schools. 5% of the schools have won nearly 50% of the championships because they are better people and work harder than children who go to public schools. The numbers speak for themselves.
Cov cath was 5A a few years ago. Other than that I dont know any. But the only private schools I see having an advantage are the ones in the louisville area which are Trinity and X cause of All the kids they can draw from. I dont think kids are leaving Bryan station or tates creek to play at lex cath or leaving highlands to play at cov cath or NCC. I think the private vs public debate is more suited for basketball. Cause more schools field teams and cause one individual has a bigger impact on the game. Football not so much.
This is the discussion that never ends.
As for how it should go, Ive gave my thoughts so any times in other threads i cant keep count. Just research threads if you want to see something about it.

As for the original post, which was ASKING what you thought about 2 classes, not how you feel it should be, i think its an interesting idea. Sure would make for a lot harder competetion, but the one thing that will Irk people is schools like Scott County which has like 3000 kids, playing schools currently in 4A who have much less than a 1000.

As for a take on how things would go if it were the case, i believe there wouldnt be a dominant powerhouse, and even Trinity would struggle to consistently beat BG, Highlands, Hardin, St.X, Cov Cath on a regular basis.
I would be good with whatever, 2 or 10 class system. Just divide it strictly according to enrollment. No playing up or down. I think that's when folks start looking at it and saying "well that's not fair, what about us". Keep the classes equal or as close as possible and where ever the break is for the next class, that's where it's at. If your enrollment puts you in 2A. That's where you play end of discussion. Put all school together, public, private and independent.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Say what you guys want to... But as long as private schools can openly recruit and get to compete against public schools that cannot recruit, then the playing field is not level.

You must not be from Northern Kentucky? We have 3 pretty decent private schools here, yet the publics dominate them. Are our private school recruiters just that bad? I have a feeling that you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to private schools and recruiting. I don't remember Fairview becoming private, or many other schools that are being accused of recruiting.
E's Army Wrote:7 of those 11 have won state championships since 2006. They have won 14 of 34 of the state championships during that time frame. There have been classes in which they have had no representation. Correct me but I believe there have been no 5A private schools. 5% of the schools have won nearly 50% of the championships because they are better people and work harder than children who go to public schools. The numbers speak for themselves.

Fine, here you go.
AA Northern Kentucky
Newport = HORRIBBBLLLEEEE community support. The FireFighters youth team has burnt too many bridges w/ their lack of playing time and too many coaches w/ a hillbilly demeanor. As a result, Newport players lack discipline (one of the top 3 characterisitcs of a champion) and respect. Just watch their sidelines. Look into the stands. The community is non-existent.

Lloyd = See Newport. Things are turning around.

Brossart = Obviously horrible at recruiting. Their team is awful, maybe the worst in the state. Decent community support, little school support.

HC = Have no clue what is going on there. Delusional, but solid, community. Kids are starting in middle school to learn HC's system. Making strides.

NewCath = Everyone at NewCath is related. EVERYONE. This year's football team has, I'm sure, 20 kids that are 3rd generation football players there. The community is very supportive, and a little too passionate, i.e. whiny. The kids start in middle school learning the NewCath system. I can count on one hand the number of kids that haven't gone to schools in Campbell County Catholic schools in the last 20 years.

Football is a game of discipline. When you are paying x thousands of dollars a year, you begin to demand things from your kids. That means they are disciplined at home, which in turn creates a disciplined character. Not every kid is ready for the Marines, but the vast majority know how to and are willing to follow directions.
Keepnitreal Wrote:I would be good with whatever, 2 or 10 class system. Just divide it strictly according to enrollment. No playing up or down. I think that's when folks start looking at it and saying "well that's not fair, what about us". Keep the classes equal or as close as possible and where ever the break is for the next class, that's where it's at. If your enrollment puts you in 2A. That's where you play end of discussion. Put all school together, public, private and independent.

To my knowledge I don't know of a school that has ever got to play down. Also since the last realignment I don't think any school got to move up. If anyone knows different let us know.
Well, I tried lol. Next time I'll keep the words private, KHSAA, and current class system out of it

As far as Trinity dominating everyone, I don't see Trinity's dominating success (going undefeated, winning state uncontested) lasting too long. It's a program that will always reload, but to get guys like Quick, White, Dawkins, Wright, and Hatcher on the same team is rare.

And 30 for 40, how is HC delusional? Fans, coaches, players? Not picking a fight, just curious
toussaints Wrote:Well, I tried lol. Next time I'll keep the words private, KHSAA, and current class system out of it

As far as Trinity dominating everyone, I don't see Trinity's dominating success (going undefeated, winning state uncontested) lasting too long. It's a program that will always reload, but to get guys like Quick, White, Dawkins, Wright, and Hatcher on the same team is rare.

And 30 for 40, how is HC delusional? Fans, coaches, players? Not picking a fight, just curious

Overly optimistic may have been nicer. Many HC fans see their program on par w/ Beechwood and other top small schools in the state. They aren't. Last year was a good team, but it is the first time that HC has played consistent defense for more thant 3 games in a row. They have fantastic support and generally some of the better skill players in NKY every year. They do not, however, have the coaching staff to pull of consistent success on the state wide level.